cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV Remote Controls Ceiling Fan

pedersen
I've been here awhile

My Rogers Ignite remote turns on the ceiling fan light and the fan itself depending on which button is being pressed. Is there a way to program the remote so it does not control the fan?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite TV Remote Controls Ceiling Fan

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pedersen wrote:

My Rogers Ignite remote turns on the ceiling fan light and the fan itself depending on which button is being pressed. Is there a way to program the remote so it does not control the fan?

Wow, have not heard of that happening before.

Do you have multiple Ignite TV set-top boxes and, if so, do all of your Ignite remotes activate the ceiling fan?

If only one of your Ignite Voice remotes triggers the fan, you can try unpairing (or resetting) the remote and re-pairing it with the set-top box.

If ALL of your Ignite Voice remotes trigger the fan, that's a tougher problem to solve.  One option is to unpair the remotes from the set-top box and use them in "IR" mode, but that is not desirable because the Ignite set-top boxes require a VERY direct line-of-site with IR remotes, and you will lose the ability to issue voice commands.

As @57 suggested, you can also try to see if you can configure your ceiling fan to use a different code, that hopefully will not conflict with Ignite TV.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have heard of this sort of signal interference on a few devices.  It happened with an old DVD player I had once.  You should contact the manufacturer of the ceiling fan to see if there's anything they can suggest or change, as they should not have utilized that particular "frequency" for their control functionality.

The Rogers remote is not really programmable in any serious way other than to control certain TV and AVR functions.

It may be possible to hold the remote so that the signals do not reach the fan, or put a "baffle" or something on the fan to prevent the Rogers remote from affecting it. 

Which buttons are causing this to happen?  If the buttons are currently controlling a TV or AVR, it may be possible to use a different TV code while still controlling the TV.

Edit: The fan may also have options for the particular frequencies sent by the remote for the fan in the event of interference.  Have a look at the operating manual for the fan/remote, or contact the manufacturer.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pedersen wrote:

Wow, have not heard of that happening before.

Do you have multiple Ignite TV set-top boxes and, if so, do all of your Ignite remotes activate the ceiling fan?

If only one of your Ignite Voice remotes triggers the fan, you can try unpairing (or resetting) the remote and re-pairing it with the set-top box.

If ALL of your Ignite Voice remotes trigger the fan, that's a tougher problem to solve.  One option is to unpair the remotes from the set-top box and use them in "IR" mode, but that is not desirable because the Ignite set-top boxes require a VERY direct line-of-site with IR remotes, and you will lose the ability to issue voice commands.

As @57 suggested, you can also try to see if you can configure your ceiling fan to use a different code, that hopefully will not conflict with Ignite TV.

pedersen
I've been here awhile

I re-paired the remote as you suggested, then after entering a new code, success. Thank you for your tip!!

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 in conversation