cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV Package Makes no Sense

dlindop
I'm here a lot

I currently have Bell WiFi but wanted to get the Ignite TV package so I can use the voice command to search for programs. After installation, I discovered I couldn't access other apps (YouTube, Netflix, Prime) since "Viewing this content requires Rogers High Speed Internet." I gather I can't use my current network and have to additionally purchase a Rogers WiFi package.

What I find strange is I already have a Rogers Wifi connection. that comes with TV package. I can access that WiFi connection from my PC and use it to access the Internet, etc.

So, once I have the TV package, I no longer need my current WiFi connection but still can't access the Internet through the TV.

What am I missing?

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite TV Package Makes no Sense

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dlindop  Did you order a standalone Ignite TV service without Ignite Internet?  If so, you will only be able to access TV channels on your Ignite Entertainment set-top box and will not have access to any apps or streaming services that require Internet connectivity.

You also cannot legally use (and may also be technically limited from using) an Ignite TV set-top box connected to a Bell Internet service.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dlindop  Did you order a standalone Ignite TV service without Ignite Internet?  If so, you will only be able to access TV channels on your Ignite Entertainment set-top box and will not have access to any apps or streaming services that require Internet connectivity.

You also cannot legally use (and may also be technically limited from using) an Ignite TV set-top box connected to a Bell Internet service.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

The interesting part of all this is if the Bell internet stops working because of a Bell service interruption, and then a standalone IgniteTv subscriber could simply use the Rogers modem etc., to connect to the Rogers wifi system to surf the internet.

I assume there would be some kind of speed limiter involved (like when your cell data limit is reached, but standard surfing still works, although without smooth streaming or quick downloading.

If however, for some reason full streaming and downloading capability still worked, I assume Rogers would eventually notice higher than normal data usage, and perhaps cancel the IgniteTv service for violating the terms of service.

I'm a curious guy, so the first thing I would do would be to see what kind of "free" Internet wifi service would slip through.

As a former President of the PEZ fan club, I believe I would have the authority to override any terms of service violations that might arise. If not, I'll just start crying and beg for forgiveness. 👮

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mebe wrote:

The interesting part of all this is if the Bell internet stops working because of a Bell service interruption, and then a standalone IgniteTv subscriber could simply use the Rogers modem etc., to connect to the Rogers wifi system to surf the internet.

With the standalone Ignite TV service (TV without Internet), my understanding is that you get an Ignite Gateway to connect you to the Rogers network but you DO NOT have any Internet connectivity, and that's why the Ignite set-top box cannot be used to access any streaming services.

I don't know what actions Rogers will take if a standalone Ignite TV subscriber tries to connect an Ignite set-top box to a third-party Internet service.  I doubt that the terms of service permit this, and doing so may put Rogers in breach of contractual agreements made with some channel providers.  For certain, you will not be able to access channels that can only be viewed in your home.  I don't know if Rogers will go so far as to deactivate the set-top box.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

I'm assuming that since the OP has Bell Internet service, and Rogers Standalone IgniteTV service (unless he has Rogers and Bell Internet) .. . Yet by ignoring the Tv set-top box and using his computer, he can access Rogers wifi Internet service (not sure how limited it is). So is the assumption that the Rogers Gateway modem isn't being used to access some form of perhaps limired-speed Internet, but it's rather his Bell modem that is somehow accessing the "free" Rogers wifi?

I've never had a Gateway modem, so I just assumed it's not designed to completely block at least minimal access to emails or Google searches, even though the Rogers FAQ isn't going to say it's possible (even if it were somehow possible).

przasnyski
I've been here awhile

have polish channel ITVN 836 few days have problem  with program on channel 836 every day 6.30 pm   DETEKTYWI but is missing WHY?

przasnyski
I've been here awhile

are you help me or not  pay extra money for ITVN 836 but can not use  6.30 pm program MISSING!!!!BIG TIME!!!

Good evening @przasnyski,

Welcome to the Community!

May you please share a little bit more about the issue you're having with the channel? Are you experiencing audio issues? Are you saying that the TV show "DETEKTYWI" isn't being aired at it's usual time?

While we do not have control over channel content, we'd be happy to assist you if you are experiencing any technical issues with the channel.

RogersZia

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation