cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV Closed Captioning failures

ghcharters
I plan to stick around

I'm finding closed captioning to be very frequently messed up with Ignite in ways that I hardly ever saw with cable and my Nextbox 3. It's kind of hard to describe, but I'll try. Very often, on many different programs, many of the words in the black boxes are missed or overlapped. In other cases, complete lines of dialogue are missed. Often, I would expect a sentence to be split onto 2 lines but the latter part of the sentence is smashed into the end on only one line. 

I think it happens most when playing a recorded program, either one I've saved or "on demand", than one that's streaming "live". 

Any suggestions or is anyone else seeing this?

***Added Labels***
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Ignite TV Closed Captioning failures

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What happens if you rewind and re-watch the same segment?  If it's still got the identical issue, then the problem is with the recording at Rogers' end (server).  If it's better or different when you re-watch, then there is an issue with the "transmission" to you and could be an indication of a poor signal at your location or neighbourhood.  Are you saying it's OK live, or just less?  

Have you called Rogers and have them check the signal?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Have been using ignite tv closed captioning and have to agree it is messed up. Same mess if I rewind and watch it again. At least it is consistently messed.

ghcharters
I plan to stick around

I've been doing some experimentation since I first reported the problem on this forum.  What I have discovered is that the problem shows up most often when I record a program from an American channel and the program is simsubbed.  (That's where the Canadian feed, including ads are presented instead of the American feed) Wherever I've changed the recording channel to the Canadian channel, CC seems to be working properly. Odd, but it seems to work better.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Shoot a short video of the CC problem and post a link. I have seen it as well. Unusable, IMHO

Ben1609
I've been around

My Ignite was installed yesterday and I'm having the same problem, missing lines ,words and not keeping up with the movie/show.

I'm on 1 gig connection with Google mesh wifi , the Tech guy that was here yesterday said that my incoming service and my wifi is very good but ......my CC is still a mess.

I don't have that issue when I use Netflix or prime video on my fire stick,

I think to call in to Rogers and move my services To Bell fiber , I did't have this problem with my old boxes , I upgraded my service with not a reliable system and I don't like it,

Just Spoke to level 2 Tech and customer service about the problem and they told me they don't have a solution for it and I'll need to make my decision what to do (After been with Rogers for 30 years) and said  they  needs to talk to engineering and they'll talk to the provider , What I don't understand is that the same problem posted exactly a year ago Jan 23 -2019 but nothing been done...... should I wait ???? I don't think so!

I'll appreciate some comments .

Thank you   

Hey @Ben1609,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thanks for sharing your Ignite TV experience with the rest of the community, we appreciate that! 

We understand that you've been having some issues with your closed captioning service, but hopefully, everything else has been good. 🙂

I attempted to duplicate the issue on my end and find that although the majority of channels seem fine, there are a few that don't seem to have the CC option at all or are showing a very slight delay (2-3 seconds). I'm wondering if our tech support team were able to lodge a ticket for you when you called? If so, we'd like to have a look to see what the status is.

If possible, please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

pmittica
I've been around
I’ve noticed this as well. It only happens with recordings and it is somewhat delayed and not in sync.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In my testing of Closed Captioning, the quality really depends on the source content and the network that is broadcasting.  CC works great on movies shown on the various movie channels.  On broadcast TV, the quality varies from channel to channel and from one program to another.

I was watching the State of the Union address that's currently bring broadcast everywhere.  The quality of CC on CNN and the the major news networks were all excellent.  For a moment, on MSNBC, it was horrible.  (Did Trump go off script?)

I'm only a casual user of CC; I don't depend on it for accessibility purposes.  However, in my experience, the quality of CC on Ignite TV is consistent with what I saw when I was a Fibe TV subscriber.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 in conversation