cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Installation no Fibre to the home

U2brothr
I plan to stick around

Sigh.

This is the second time a Rogers technician has come to my house to install Rogers ignite tv and internet. This is also the second time I’ve been told YES YOU HAVE THE FIBRE IN YOUR AREA AND TO YOUR HOUSE!

After a month between the first non install to the 2nd attempt at install, I was told that they can hook up the fibre to the coaxel cable.

Um. I’ve never used the cable in this house before. Also, internet to the cable is not what I signed up for.

The deal I signed up for a month ago disappeared… and so this second time, the operator managed to get me the same deal again.

I put time (again) aside in my day for this install, and Rogers can’t seem to deliver what they say I have for installation.
This is exhausting and disappointing.

**Labels Added**

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Ignite Installation no Fibre to the home

RogersCorey

Hello @U2brothr!

I apologize for the confusion that seems to be ongoing here. I can absolutely check your account to confirm definitively whether or not you have fibre to the home available in your neighbourhood. 

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

U2brothr
I plan to stick around

Fibre is in the area. It is not to my house. Two separate technician visits confirmed this.

U2brothr
I plan to stick around
So.

Some good news. Rogers came. The buried the fibre line to my house. They finally came today to do the install. All is well.

I do have an issue though. I wish I could share a picture. The inside the home fibre line that was used was miles and miles long. The technician wrapped up the cord. Into a tight circular cord. The fibre cord obviously is then connected to the device inside. I asked him, can you not make this cord shorter and neater? I wish I could post a picture. The result is pretty much a weird fibre line hanging by a thread. Surely this connection isn’t too sturdy.

I also (prior to the tech coming to my house) asked if I could get the legacy aerial cable removed from my back yard. He said that’s not his job.

Sigh.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@U2brothr wrote:  I wish I could share a picture. 

When posting a reply to a thread, there is a camera icon at the top of the box where you are entering your text.  If you don't see it because you're composing in a device like a tablet or phone, you need to switch the browser to desktop mode/version and it will then be visible.  (how you switch will depend on your device and browser, but a quick web search should find the instructions)  Once you see the camera icon, click on it and follow the instructions to add a photo or two. It may take a few minutes for any attachments like photos to be approved by the mods after you post.

U2brothr
I plan to stick around

Thank you @57 ....  Here is the picture of the installation.  Take a look at the green plug and the splice of the fibre to the modem.  I feel like this was not done correctly or securely.

IMG_0859.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@U2brothr : You're right. That connection at the green plug doesn't look secure. I'm not familiar with how these plugs are supposed to look, but that doesn't look right.

As for the loop of wire, it's probably not a bad idea to have a bit extra in case you need it in the future. If you remove the wall plate and undo the twist ties on the loop of cable, you may be able to push most/all of it back into the wall cavity, depending on what's in that cavity.

U2brothr
I plan to stick around

Exactly.  When I asked him to have "less loop" lying on the ground, he spliced the wire.... and then reconnected it with the green connector and stuck it to the modem.

How do I go about someone fixing this poor installation?

I am exhausted making phone calls to Rogers at this point.... but will do so if I have to.

U2brothr
I plan to stick around

I now have a 4th technician coming to my house on Tues to make this better....

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@U2brothr I have seen worse but what the installation tech should have done was installed a termination box/wall plate; something like this: https://www.commscope.com/product-type/faceplates-boxes/fiber-wall-outlets/hftp-am/

It's normal to have a loop of excess fibre at each end in case you need to redo the termination.  The excess is looped inside the box, connected to a jack/coupler, and you would then make a connection to the ONT using a short fibre patch cable.  Not only is this neater but if an accident were to happen, it's much easier and cheaper to replace a damaged patch cable.

U2brothr
I plan to stick around
Let’s see if a clean up happens tomorrow when the next technician arrives.

U2brothr
I plan to stick around

The last technician was the charm.  

He told me how the cables come pre-fabricated and he had a three foot cable in his truck.

He took out the old connection from the outside box to inside the home, and used the three foot cable for a nice neat installation.  The fibre actually comes into my home via the opposite side of the modem.  

(reupload image without S/N showing)

He also removed the aerial legacy line going across my back yard.  

Finally.  Success.

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 in conversation