cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Band Steering on XB6 Modem Causing Issues for 2.4 GHz Devices

ramjetejmar
I'm here a lot

I have upgraded my internet service and a new Modem (Ignite WiFi Gateway) was installed.

Over the past month, I have installed some devices on my Wi-Fi network using the Echo Plus. With some of the plugs, I encountered an issue with the compatibility of the device and the Modem having to do with the dual networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz). I went to 10.0.0.1 to find out the names

It appears that the two Networks have in part the same name. However, anything after that is beyond my understanding of this system.

My understanding was that the appropriate network would be assigned to a new device automatically. With some research, I was able to find a go around and install some of the devices.

I am now trying to connect a Wi-Fi Cloud Camera 360Eye(S) but once again, I am getting the error message that the device is not compatible with the 5GHz network.

While searching for a solution, I found out that the possible cause of this would have to do with having both networks with the same name. I would appreciate any help in how to go about changing the names of the two network and whether or not that would affect the already installed devices using the 2.4 GHz.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide.

*** Edited Labels/Title ***

44 REPLIES 44

Re: Band Steering on XB6 Modem Causing Issues for 2.4 GHz Devices

Hey @Moern2000!

Welcome to the community!

I will provide the steps here for connecting 2.4Ghz IoT devices using the Ignite WiFi Hub app. This should resolve connectivity issues in full.

1. Open the Ignite WiFi Hub app
  2. Tap the name of your network
  3. Tap "See Network" at the top left
  4. Tap the Edit Pencil at the top right
  5. Tick the "Use different names and passwords for 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi" box
  6. Create a separate name for your 5G network (ex: adding -5G to the end)
  7. Apply Changes at the bottom.

Once these steps have been completed, connect any devices required to your network. Once they are connected, revisit the app and de-select that use different names box. This will put the network back to it's previous state with band steering enabled. The newly connected devices will remain connected on the 2.4GHz band.

Hope this helps!

@RogersAndy

Rororo
I've been here awhile

Ignite WiFi - "can't connect to this network"

Switched to Ignite 5 weeks ago. Up until this week I was content, now I regret it. 

Earlier this week, my PS3 loses its connection to the WiFi. I reset everything on the PS3, try all troubleshooting steps and nothing worked. I eventually have to Restart the Gateway through the Ignite app and then it works. PS3 is an older device so I don't pay too much attention and I go on living my life. 

Three days later same thing happens with my wife's Lenovo laptop (3 yrs old). In the middle of the work day it just drops the connection and won't reconnect. The laptop says "can't connect to this network" after entering the WiFi password. Again, I try all troubleshooting steps on the laptop but to no avail. Restart the Gateway and bingo it works. 

Two more days after that (today), the same thing has now happened with my own Dell laptop (1 yr old) and all the same steps/messages as above. 

All connections are WiFi. The modem is well positioned as per Rogers guidelines and nothing obstructs the signal to the two laptops. PS3 is behind one wall. 

Am I going to have to Reset the Gateway every time a device does not connect!? 

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @Rororo!

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having such consistent connectivity issues with your older devices. We'll be happy to help. Can you confirm for us if you've taken the steps outlined above to ensure your devices are connected properly? Once done this should resolve loss of connectivity concerns. You will likely need to forget the network on those devices prior to connecting with this method.

Keep us posted!

@RogersAndy

Rororo
I've been here awhile

Hi @RogersAndy! Thanks for getting back to me.

In taking this step I run the risk of all my currently connected devices being disconnected, and me having to reconnect all, correct?

Also, will this be something I would need to do when adding any new device? 

Ro

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @Rororo!

Your currently disconnected devices will return to being connected once you've disabled separate network names and the older devices relegated to the 2.4Ghz frequency only will remain connected without further conflict. I've done this myself with older devices as well as smart plugs and smart lights etc.  Also yes, for any new devices connecting to the network that are not 5G compatible this process is recommended. If they're dual band capable though there's no need.

Hope this helps!

@RogersAndy

cannot change wifi settings on Ignite router want to disable 802.11n:

I have a device that only connects to the 2.4GHz band, but not even that when g/n support (default) is enabled.

I want to disable n -support.  However, Rogers has "helpfully" locked those options in the router settings.   I've searched this site, and gave the ignite website a go... the ignite site allows basic changes (wifi password, IP address range, etc.) but not the drop down to tweak the a/g/n settings for the 2.4 band... 

suggestions?

Greetings and welcome to our Community @2littletime!

I would recommend that you upgrade this old 2.4G device to something a little more modern that supports current WiFi standards. 

If you were to do something like this, it would impact the performance of your network negatively.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Rororo
I've been here awhile

I followed the steps and I now have two separate networks, 2.4G and 5G. My 2019 Dell Inspiron laptop still cannot connect to the 5G. It can connect to the 2.4G. Is there a limit to the amount of devices allowed on the 5G?

Thanks
R  

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @Rororo.

The number of devices that can connect to your network as a whole would be limited to 252 as that's the available number of IP's within the default subnet. That said, the number of devices that can connect and browse will be dependent on your plan. You can see more regarding the recommended number of devices per plan on Rogers.com. 

It's important to note that if a device cannot see the network it would not be compatible with 5G. If you've completed the steps above to enable both networks and your devices are connected, you can disable the two networks (enable band steering again) and those devices will remain connected. There would be nothing service wise stopping a device that can see the 5G network from connecting to it. It may be a device level issue if other devices are able to connect without issue.

@RogersAndy

Devices cannot connect due to 2.4 vs 5 GHz:

Hello, I have many devices in my home that only connect to the 2.4 GHz channel. In most cases, there is a work-around to connect manually. However, we just had a pool installed and the lights (safety feature) are controlled by our phone. There is no "work-around" to connect. I had to go into the router and rename the 2.4 GHz channel. Since then, EVERYTHING in my house is off. There must be a way to go back to the same name so everything is back to normal, AND I can control the lights.

Hello, @Lorne11.

Thank you for joining and welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 

I appreciate you renaming the 2.4 GHz band and trying to connect your latest IoT device. However, the idea is to rename the 5 GHz band so the two networks are separated. Once your IoT devices get connected to the 2.4 GHz band, you have to revert the 5 GHz band's name change. 

Please follow the walkthrough listed by @RogersAndy in the 22nd post of this thread:  

I will provide the steps here for connecting 2.4Ghz IoT devices using the Ignite WiFi Hub app. This should resolve connectivity issues in full.

1. Open the Ignite WiFi Hub app
  2. Tap the name of your network
  3. Tap "See Network" at the top left
  4. Tap the Edit Pencil at the top right
  5. Tick the "Use different names and passwords for 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi" box
  6. Create a separate name for your 5G network (ex: adding -5G to the end)
  7. Apply Changes at the bottom.

Once these steps have been completed, connect any devices required to your network. Once they are connected, revisit the app and de-select that use different names box. This will put the network back to it's previous state with band steering enabled. The newly connected devices will remain connected on the 2.4GHz band.

Let us know if you have further questions. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Hello,

How do I change the SSID name for 2.4GHz so it is different from the 5 GHz. This is a pain in the neck with all the devices that use 2.4 only because of range issues.

This should be easy!

Thanks,

Paul

@PaulLondonON here's the Rogers reference page for Band Steering:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/how-to-ensure-bandsteering-is-on-for-the-rogers-igni...

Note that if you have pods, you won't be able to turn off Band Steering as far as I'm aware.  Have a look at that link, and drill down into the settings using the app or by logging into the modem.  The instructions are less than clear as to what happens when you have Band Steering on, and you want to log into the modem directly in order to turn Band Steering Off.  I don't know if simply changing one of the network names will override the Band Steering Enabled setting, or, if you really have to log into the app or go online to checkmark the “Use different names and passwords for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi” checkbox.  So, keep that in mind. 

Before you disable Band Steering, can you have a look at the Wifi Modes for both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks and let me know what they are.  I suspect that both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks might show 802.11 a/g/n for the Wifi Mode.  I'd appreciate it if you could post the settings for both networks with Band Steering currently enabled.

James_9
I've been here awhile

These instructions have been posted a few times but the option does not exist ... at least not for me.

If I go to that page in the app I get the option to change the WIFI name, password, Security mode and the choice to broadcast the WIFI name.  There is no option to "Use different names and password".

Has something changed in the app?  I have Nanoleaf devices and TPLink plugs and can't get them connected due to the inability to create a separate SSID for 2.4Ghz.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@James_9 wrote:

These instructions have been posted a few times but the option does not exist ... at least not for me.

If I go to that page in the app I get the option to change the WIFI name, password, Security mode and the choice to broadcast the WIFI name.  There is no option to "Use different names and password".

Has something changed in the app?  I have Nanoleaf devices and TPLink plugs and can't get them connected due to the inability to create a separate SSID for 2.4Ghz.

I can't test this because I'm currently using a different Wi-Fi solution... but I know that it was possible to do this at one time -- I set up separate 2.4 and 5 GHz bands in another family member's home.  However, this option will not be available if you have Ignite WiFi Pods associated with your account.

I also saw the following on Comcast's Xfinity xFi Network Settings and Advanced Settings support page:

You also have the option to set a different WiFi name and password for each radio band (i.e., 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). If you don't see that option, that means you either have xFi Pods on your network or your advanced WiFi settings are being managed automatically.

This confirms what I said about the option not being available with Pods.  I don't know whether Rogers now also manages your "advanced WiFi settings" automatically.  Hopefully Rogers Tech Support or the @CommunityHelps  team can assist you further.

jeniferlee
I've been here awhile
Was there a resolution found? I can't set up new 2.4ghz items with my phone currently with band steering enabled and pods.

James_9
I've been here awhile

Nothing helpful from Rogers but I kept researching and found that if you use WIFI Pods to extend coverage in your house the option to name the 2.4/5Ghz SSID differently is not available presumably because the pods need both channels and can't handle different names.  What I did was to disable 5Ghz (make sure 2.4 is enabled), forget the network from your phone and then re-add to the phone which forces it to use 2.4Ghz.  Then I setup the devices and they worked.   Then I removed the network from the phone, re-enabled 5Ghz and re-added the network back to the phone and everything has kept working properly.

jeniferlee
I've been here awhile
Sorry if I replied multiple times, doesn't seem to stick on the forum when I have submitted...
Thanks for the prompt reply. Did Rogers tech support have to disable the 5ghz as I don't currently have the option to see the channels and their details on ignite?
Thanks!

User1124
I've been here awhile
Hi Andy,
I am also trying to set up a 2.4 GHZ network & followed your steps. I'm with you until step 5. I don't have a "Use different names and passwords for 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi" box.
I have
Wi-Fi name, Wi-Fi password & security mode and broadcast Wi-Fi name.
I can't connect new Alexa lights on 5GHZ.
Oddly, I already have 8+ devices connected without the 2.4GHZ.
I do not understand technology.

Hello @User1124,

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. If you have WiFi pods, the “Use different names and passwords for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi” option will not be visible.

Have you tried login using the modem admin page? You can get more information about Bandsteering for the ignite WiFi Gateway modem by clicking here.

Hope this helps!

Thank you,

RogersRahul

My Ignite app does not give me option " Use different name and password for 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz" How do I do that? I am trying to connect a security camera. 

Topic Stats