cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing Ignite TV While in the U.S

gcg
I've been here awhile

I am in the US and cannot use Ignite TV even with a VPN. What seems to be the problem?
We have a friend who can get all of their Bell programs. It seems to me that Rogers is a poor choice.

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Accessing Ignite TV While in the U.S

RogersCorey

Greetings @gcg!

Due to licensing restrictions, it’s only possible to download and view content within Canada. Using a VPN to get around geofencing is unsupported.

Regards,

RogersCorey

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RogersCorey

Greetings @gcg!

Due to licensing restrictions, it’s only possible to download and view content within Canada. Using a VPN to get around geofencing is unsupported.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Bell and Rogers each have their plusses and minuses.  You do have the option of using "Download & Go", but you need to do this before leaving home and you need to have a device with sufficient storage.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/using-download-and-go

gcg
I've been here awhile
That’s too bad. I guess I will have to re-evaluate my decision to stay with Rogers.

Peter33
I've been here awhile

same here.  I was looking to watch the local news while i was out of the country, not available.  

I am surprised that bell allows it to work outside of Canada, off of a VPN.
Bell would fall under the same licensing issues as Rogers, and in general should NOT be allowing it.
(more info afterwards)
If its bell via a VPN.. that may be a different story.  That rogers perphaps is blocking access through common vpn services?

Licensing generally works, that while a show/movie is produced, a different licensing company in each country can buy the licensing to broadcast (via digital or any other means, though usually different licensing for each).  This is why say netflix in the US has different stuff than in canada.. someone else in canada may have the license to broadcast it here.
Generally, you are not supposed to allow your service to work outside your country, at least content wise.  
Because then, if say BELLS crave was cheaper for the same content as netflix for a US subscriber, they would then just buy from canada, instead of paying the one who paid for it in their country.

User_1846120
I've been here awhile
Imaginary lines drawn on a map are not fair. Most of the programing originates in the US anyway. There is no line with Satalite TV.

@User_1846120 wrote:
There is no line with Satalite TV.

Actually, there is. Bell Satellite's footprint doesn't go very far south of the Canada/US border. The same holds true for most of Shaw Direct Satellite for most channels and will be the case for all channels once their old satellite will no longer be usable, soon.  Neither Shaw Direct, nor Bell Sat will knowingly allow subscriptions for Canadians outside Canada.

Some snowbirds can still receive some select Shaw Direct signals in Florida or Mexico by lying about their location, however, that will end soon.  Shaw Direct was allowed (by CRTC due to financial reasons) to keep some channel signals flowing on their old Satellite, but that satellite is near end-of-life.  Most of Shaw Direct's channels are on a newer satellite with a footprint similar to Bell Satellite and none of these channels are receivable in the southern US or Mexico where most snowbirds vacation or reside.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 6 in conversation