cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New interface for the Community.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I just signed in and and the interface has completely changed. Prettier, but less useful and difficult to navigate. What happened to the navigation panel on the right? How can I revert to the old interface?

*** Edited Labels/Title *** 

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
146 REPLIES 146

Re: New interface for the Community.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is also not good:

Response interrupted by a survey popup #2.png

I have intentionally deleted the addressee.

This was the result of being in the middle of typing a response when one of the incessant survey popups appeared.  I killed the survey popup and ended up with this situation without any method of getting rid of the grey overlay other than reloading the page.  I could continue to type the response, but the overlay prevented access to anything else on the editor page, including the Cancel or Reply buttons.  

If you kill the survey popup, then you should return to the original page, with its contents intact.   

This is with MS Edge, which doesn't have any blockers loaded. 

jays77
I'm a trusted contributor

The whole new format is a mess and really need to be redesigned and simplified.  Better still, just return to the old format.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I check Rogers Community Forums just about every day, even though I no longer have Rogers Cable, just a prepaid cellphone. Lately, since the new interface, I'm seeing far fewer new posts. Has anyone else noticed that, or is it just me because I can't find them?  Are users just giving up because the new interface sucks so bad?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Going from memory, there are not quite as many posts as before, however, this could be as a result of things other than the new interface:

- Christmastime?

- Fewer problems, therefore fewer questions?

I always use my "all new posts" bookmark, which means I see all new posts.

I also don't like the new interface, but I can work with it.  I wish they would fix the items that we've already discussed though.

jays77

I too have noticed what seems to be fewer posts but as mentioned there may be reasons other than the messy confusing site.  I find that I do at times tend to miss some new posts but eventually stumble across some them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I sometimes forget that I'm not logged in and click reply to reply to a post.  When I do this it allows me to create a message and then confirm the reply by clicking reply again. When I do this, I'm asked to login, but my message doesn't get posted after I login, and I get a fairly long red error message. Within that message there is a link to "go back" but that doesn't work either.

Consequently all my typing is gone.  Would it be possible to force the login when you click on reply the first time in order to avoid all this frustration by forum users?  Or fix it so that the unlogged-in reply doesn't result in an error message and a loss of typing?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I just tried it again not logged in.  Here's the error message.   Although the back button takes you to a logged in state, the message is gone and typing is lost.

This may be due to the fact that the forum and MyRogers are still "tied" together rather than being separate entities...

Unlogged-in Error MessageUnlogged-in Error Message

Hello, @57

Thank you for your continuous feedback on Community's new interface. I can imagine how disappointing it can be to lose the typed message. 

When you are typing, your message gets auto-saved. After you logged in, have you checked "Drafts" under your profile? 

I'm curious to know if your message was saved. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No, the message is not saved when not logged in.  I would assume that you would need to be logged in for anything to be saved because if you're not logged in, the Auto-save wouldn't know where to save your typing.

If you're typing when logged in, you can see "Your content was last auto-saved at 05:16 PM" under the box where you are typing.  This doesn't happen if you're not logged in.

It is saved under "drafts" when logged in.  Also, what does happen is if you hit the reply button again after say going away from your post, and it initially looks like it was lost, it'll ask if you wish to put your last saved information in the post giving two options to use or discard.  In the case of typing this post, I did that since "Your content was last auto-saved at 05:20 PM."  It looks like typing is autosaved every minute, so at most you'll lose one minute of typing.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Many boards don't do auto-save. If writing a long, detailed, post, it's a good idea to copy and paste your work to a text file in case something happens and you lose it all.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, I usually do the same, but my issue was that when you're not logged in, which I sometimes don't notice when just visiting the site, the forum should:

1. Either not let you compose in the first place since you're not logged in.

or 

2. Not lose your composition due to a login that doesn't work properly...

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Well, it's been a couple of months since the new fancy interface and I think I've finally figured out how to navigate it to my liking. Starting from Forums at the top of the page, I click a sub-forum I follow on the right.  Any thread with a new post will appear very slightly bold.  That's the key. It took me some time to notice that. I just wish it were bolder and more obvious. But I still prefer the old, simpler interface.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I utilize the following bookmark for "all new posts". 

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/node-display-id/categ...

Rogers have put this option back on the main forum landing page.  Thanks Rogers:

It has Latest Posts and View All.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Forums/ct-p/Forums

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have discovered that Rogers is making this forum still more confusing by experimenting with "Threaded" posts instead of linear.

I vote that the threading experiment be stopped immediately, especially since they didn't tell us about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversation_threading

jays77

I vote that they go back to the old format that worked well for years and was easy to use.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It looks like the threaded format is gone as the default. Thanks for listening and acting quickly Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

I sometimes forget that I'm not logged in and click reply to reply to a post.  When I do this it allows me to create a message and then confirm the reply by clicking reply again. When I do this, I'm asked to login, but my message doesn't get posted after I login, and I get a fairly long red error message. Within that message there is a link to "go back" but that doesn't work either.

Consequently all my typing is gone.  Would it be possible to force the login when you click on reply the first time in order to avoid all this frustration by forum users?  Or fix it so that the unlogged-in reply doesn't result in an error message and a loss of typing?

This issue is still present.  Please fix it so that you cannot compose a reply if you're not logged in, or fix it so that the reply posts and is not forgotten. This should not be that difficult to implement.

@57 wrote:

@57 wrote:

This issue is still present.  Please fix it so that you cannot compose a reply if you're not logged in, or fix it so that the reply posts and is not forgotten. This should not be that difficult to implement.

Hey @57,

This is something we have been investigating since you first flagged it, but we weren't able to consistently replicate it. We'll try out your suggestion of requiring login before composing a reply, please let us know if you experience any further trouble!

Thanks,

RogersTim

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersTim wrote:

We'll try out your suggestion of requiring login before composing a reply, please let us know if you experience any further trouble!

Looks like I'm now required to login before composing a reply. Thank you.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Well, no sooner have I become used to how to navigate this new interface, it has changed again. I no longer see "Forums" at the top.   I'm getting totally lost.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm seeing Forums, with the dropdown associated with it, at the top left of the browser, no problems, with FF, Chrome and Safari.  Check the following tips:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/MyRogers-Rogers-Apps/Tips-for-Rogers-Websites-amp-Apps/td-p/49...

It's also available as a line link below.  See attachment below

ForumsForums

Topic Stats
  • 146 replies
  • 56 Likes
  • 15 in conversation