cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers MasterCard, New Online Banking

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers launched its new Online Banking Website today.  Unfortunately, there are a few issues that I noticed right away.

1. There doesn't appear to be a direct link to the "My Rewards" page showing how many reward points/$ you have.  It used to be on the "My Accounts" (or landing) page.

2. You used to be able to click on a particular transaction and it would show you details of that transaction like time of transaction, foreign exchange/currency if applicable, etc.  This is not currently available.

3. I tried to send a message but all I get is a "we're sorry" pop-up and the message is not sent. 

4. All of my previous messages/service requests are currently "lost" and are not available for viewing.

5. I did an "ask Ruby" and she said:

"We launched our new Online Banking experience for our customers today.  We have come across a few temporary performance issues, but our IT teams are aware and are working on a fix." Smiley Frustrated

**Labels Added**

68 REPLIES 68

Re: Rogers MasterCard, New Online Banking

Conditions
I plan to stick around

I am a Rogers MasterCard customer and I use Microsoft Money. I have been in contact with them about the issues you mention and got a partial solution to some OFX download issues. I am still trying to get the sign reversal fixed. 

I ended up coding a custom import routine for Rogers bank transactions. Things like this are why it's worth having control over the financial code base. Such incompetence. Tip for people using some other financial institutions who ditched OFX export (PCF, Tangerine, maybe more)... Quicken/QFX works pretty well since it's a superset of OFX. Rogers QFX is broken as well though.

axelbest
I plan to stick around

Rogers Bank Mastercard and Quicken

I was using the US version of quicken and Rogers card EWC was working perfectly. Now I changed to Canada version and the EWC is not working anymore. Even if I try to create a new account, it's like Rogers Bank is not supported IN CANADA!

This doesn't make absolutely any sense, they didn't even provide access to QIF file, only a poor CSV and OFX.

Why a US version all things works fine but not for a Canadian version?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. Which version of Quicken?  Mac or PC, Starter, Deluxe, Home & Business, etc?

2. Quicken is now subscription per year. Are you paid up?  

3. After the first year, you can auto renew, or, if you don't renew, continue to use Quicken, but without certain features and updates, depending on version, etc.

https://www.quicken.com/support/canada-subscription-membership-faqs

I haven't used Quicken to download transactions, so I cannot comment further, however, I have used Quicken since 1995 and different versions have often had different feature sets.

Perhaps someone more familiar with what you're trying to do will come along with an answer. In the meantime, you may wish to contact Quicken  or their "Community".

https://community.quicken.com/

Conditions
I plan to stick around
Why can't Rogers MasterCard properly test their software against the industry standard OFX/QFX guidelines and stop making excuses.

axelbest
I plan to stick around

Home and Business, As I said it worked in US version (subscription) but not in Canada Version.
The quicken community support answered that Rogers Bank is not on the Quicken's FI list due to a simple reason - they don't want to pay Quicken licence fees

Conditions
I plan to stick around
POSTED ON DEC 20, 2019

Rogers MasterCard, New Online Banking

brandnew
I've been here awhile

Mint updated the balance but no transaction from rogers bank-EWC card

EWC is my primary credit card used everywhere. 

at mint.com, when EWC was added first time, all transcations and balance were downloaded from rogers bank. Then any updating from mint.com or mint app would update balance only, no transactions. 

Ocassionally, the update from mint will download transactions, probabaly when the EWC statement is ready.

Conditions
I plan to stick around

What is EWC?

lhicks2
I'm here a lot

I agree.  It's still going on.  I have complained to the Rogers Bank Ombudsman.  No resolution yet.

randomthoughts2
I plan to stick around

Hey guys, update - at some point in November 2020, Rogers Bank fixed the incorrect positive/negatives on their ofx downloads.  I haven't reviewed the files in detail to see if anything else was fixed.

I only noticed because when I did my yearly reconciliation, some values were super low because November/December purchases were counting as credits. (In my monthly reports, I didn't notice because there were no "conflicting" transactions) 

I'm not sure if I'll just have to reverse the positive/negative on my custom import routine or if I can revert to using the standard OFX import code. Fingers crossed!

OK HALLELUJAH:  they've fixed the OFX (at least as far as I can tell)... I was able to use my standard import code to import the transactions.

transaction ID is there, date formats are respected, debits and credits are properly signed, account ID and institution ID are there.

Lol how many years was this?  But I'm grateful to retire the custom import routine.  Also, transaction ID will make duplicate detection possible.  Only thing missing now is "download transactions since last download" functionality, which should be possible since the transaction IDs are there now.  But I can manage without it.

Since 2021-01-20, MS Money rejects the OFX downloads saying that the file is corrupt. I have inspected the OFX file but do not see what the issue is. Is anyone else having this issue?

Also, there is another bug still in the code where they do not use the escape sequence for the & character when it appears in a payee name. It should use the escape sequence &  . For this, I just edit the file using Notepad to insert the correct escape sequence. That worked until about 2021-01-20, and now MS Money rejects the file for some other unknown reason.

Yes. I'm having the same problem importing ofx data from Rogers Bank into MS Money. I contacted the bank and their technical people are working on it. I'm having no similar issues with other banks or credit cards, just with Rogers Bank.

I finally discovered the issue with the OFX files: there are 3 non-ASCII characters at the start of the file that should not be there. In hex, the three characters are: EF BB BF . This was difficult to find since MS Notepad does not show these non-ASCII characters. I only found them by comparing the Rogers file a another institutions file using a the File Compare (FC) utility in windows. Rogers, please repair your OFX software to remove these 3 non-compliant characters. In the meantime, I have a workaround: open the file in Notepad, select "save as", and in the "encoding" box select "ANSI", instead of the original "UTF-8 with BOM". This removes the 3 non-ASCII characters.

Well done.  I will pass this fix on to my contact at Rogers Bank.  My understanding in talking with them is that they contract out this aspect of their business and their contractor is telling them that it's all being done according to the latest ofx standard.  Personally I find that hard to accept when there is no similar problem at other financial institutions that I deal with.

My guess is that someone has gone in and monkeyed with the process, at least, with respect to the export data process and set the wrong output type. End result, the data file doesn't open when it arrives in the customers hands. 

Fwiw, Notepad++ can probably help in these types of situations:  https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/

Please tell me more about how Notepad can help.  I'm not a techie, so please be explicit.

Notepad++ can be used to open just about any file, and it can open files that are much larger than Windows Notepad will open.  With Notepad++ you will most likely see characters in the file that Windows Notepad won't display.  Some of those are formatting characters which aren't visible with Windows Notepad or Microsoft Word.  

So, if you want to see the raw file, use Notepad++.  You don't have to do anything other than open the file and close it when you're finished examining the file, or, after making any modifications to it, save it and then close the file.  

It operates like Windows Notepad, but, it has greater capabilities than Windows Notepad. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@eagerhiker wrote:

...Rogers, please repair your OFX software to remove these 3 non-compliant characters.....

FYI, the Rogers MasterCard people usually don't read these forums, so you'll probably need to contact them by phone directly or by the "I Want to send a message" after you've logged in on the MC site.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lhicks2 wrote:

Please tell me more about how Notepad can help.  I'm not a techie, so please be explicit.

The last sentence of post 57 states what to do. Until Rogers MC fixes this, you basically need to open the offending file with any text editor like notepad, remove the 3 offending characters and re-save the file.

I have a workaround: open the file in Notepad, select "save as", and in the "encoding" box select "ANSI", instead of the original "UTF-8 with BOM". This removes the 3 non-ASCII characters.

Topic Stats