cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 remotes for 1 Ignite box?

98765432l
I plan to stick around

It was suggested that I could go into a Rogers store and get a second remote for my Ignite box.  2 chairs in living room far apart, cannot share 1 remote.  When I had Bell, I could change channels with phone app, cannot with Rogers app.  

I asked in Rogers store but nobody knew if you can sync 2 remotes up to same box.  This is second box in basement.  They do sell remotes so I asked the guy, if my remote was broken, I would just bring it in and exchange it so why do you sell them.  That stumped him.  He said it must work then but couldn't verify it and said there was no refund if it didn't.  

Does anybody know, can you use 2 remotes on same box?

*** Added Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 2 remotes for 1 Ignite box?

Hello @98765432l,

I can imagine how confusing it must be to keep getting conflicting responses to your question about having 2 remotes to control one Ignite TV set-top box.

I can confirm that @Biollw is 100% correct in stating that 2 remotes can be used to control one Ignite TV box. I have tested this myself in our Lab environment as well as at home. My apologies that you were not given the correct information at the store. I assume they were unsure and did not want you to spend $25.00 on a remote that is nonrefundable and may not serve your needs.

Thank you for posting your concern in our Community! If there are any other users that have successfully synced two remotes to one Ignite TV box feel free to chime in with your own experiences. 😃

RogersTony

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

@98765432l wrote:

It was suggested that I could go into a Rogers store and get a second remote for my Ignite box.  2 chairs in living room far apart, cannot share 1 remote.  When I had Bell, I could change channels with phone app, cannot with Rogers app.  

I asked in Rogers store but nobody knew if you can sync 2 remotes up to same box.  This is second box in basement.  They do sell remotes so I asked the guy, if my remote was broken, I would just bring it in and exchange it so why do you sell them.  That stumped him.  He said it must work then but couldn't verify it and said there was no refund if it didn't.  

*** Added Labels ***

You sure can. I have one and my wife has one.

Just setup the second remote just like you did for the first one. Viola ! 2 remotes.

I haven't tried a third one yet but most likely will work as well, guessing.

Good Luck

Bill

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, there's no reason two identical remotes set up identically shouldn't work on one box.

98765432l
I plan to stick around

@Biollw wrote:

@98765432l wrote:

*** Added Labels ***

You sure can. I have one and my wife has one.

Just setup the second remote just like you did for the first one. Viola ! 2 remotes.

I haven't tried a third one yet but most likely will work as well, guessing.

Good Luck

Bill

I am really confused.  I visited my Rogers store again today as the guy yesterday was going to ask his . . mgr.  Today, the . . mgr and the area rep were in the back room in a meeting.  They both said no it won't work as the programming of the second remote will wipe out the first remote and you'll still only have 1 remote.  They say if I buy a second remote, there is no return on it and I'd be out $25.00.  

Rogers says no and you're saying yes.  I'm confused.  Sorry

Hello @98765432l,

I can imagine how confusing it must be to keep getting conflicting responses to your question about having 2 remotes to control one Ignite TV set-top box.

I can confirm that @Biollw is 100% correct in stating that 2 remotes can be used to control one Ignite TV box. I have tested this myself in our Lab environment as well as at home. My apologies that you were not given the correct information at the store. I assume they were unsure and did not want you to spend $25.00 on a remote that is nonrefundable and may not serve your needs.

Thank you for posting your concern in our Community! If there are any other users that have successfully synced two remotes to one Ignite TV box feel free to chime in with your own experiences. 😃

RogersTony

98765432l
I plan to stick around

Thank you Tony and Bill.  You have both confirmed that you have actually connected 2 remotes to a single box.  I will have to make a 3rd trip now to Roger store and this time buy a remote.  It has not been a fluid transition back to Rogers but you both with the input from 57, have helped.

Thank you

98765432l
I plan to stick around

CONFIRMED - 2 REMOTES WORK ON THE SAME IGNITE BOX

I finally got back to the Rogers store.  Bought my second remote.  Connected remote to Rogers box.  Both remotes work on 1 box.

CONFIRMED - 2 REMOTES WORK ON THE SAME IGNITE BOX

Gabor1
I've been here awhile

Hi.  I too want the 2 remote thing working.  Do you have the voice control also working, both on the same Ignite box?

Thanks!

Gabor

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Both remotes connected work perfectly including voice commands.

Gabor1
I've been here awhile

Thanks!!

And I tried it, and mine works too, now.  It was installed earlier today and the installer did not think the voice would work.  But it does..

Now one more teensy thing, on my to-do list, is getting a decent 3 minute fast forward working reliably.  It kind of sucks at the moment.  I use voice to move it, and that actually works, but buttons, not really well.

Early times, but I think I like it so far (not like I have much choice :-))

98765432l
I plan to stick around

Fast forward using voice? really?  please explain.  This is news to me

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Quite easy. Can you say "fast foward 3 minutes" or even "fast forward 3 and a half minutes", if you can then you too can fast forward with your voice.

Any amount if time you wish.  Or fast forward 3...ff at 3 times speed.

Good luck.

98765432l
I plan to stick around

OMG.  It works.  Who knew?  Not me.  Thank you 👍

I was just on live chat with Justin in Moncton.he said it is not possible.

can some one go step by step to achieve this? I have two remotes programmed to two TVs. Do I have to clear the one the other one already works. Please use simple steps I am a 75 year old novice.. thanks in advance.

joe

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Easy. With second or third or fourth.....

Pair Your Remote For Voice Control
  1. Press and hold SETUP until the LED turns GREEN. ...
  2. Press the ROGERS button.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter the 3-digit code that appears.
  4. The remote is now paired and voice commands should work when you hold down the VOICE CONTROL key.

Kwak59
I'm here a lot

Do I undo the remote before programming?

my ignite remote does no have a setup button.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

No undoing needed .  Is the setup button on the bottom left? Smaller button.

1. If you have the XR11: Press the Setup button on your Voice Remote until the LED at the top changes from red to green.
  2. If you have the XR15: Press and hold the A and D buttons at the same time until the LED at the top changes from red to green.

See....https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/pairing-the-voice-remote

Kwak59
I'm here a lot

Thanks but no go. The first steps work but nothing come on the screen to enter a number.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Well that's the instructions. Perhaps someone else can help further.

Bill

Kwak59
I'm here a lot

I followed your instructions which replicates Rogers instructions.

thanks anyway.

joe

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kwak59 wrote:

I followed your instructions which replicates Rogers instructions.

thanks anyway.

joe

1. Start by making sure the remote batteries are installed and your TV and Ignite TV Box are turned on. 
  2. Set the TV input to the one that’s connected to the Ignite TV Box. 
  3. Next:
    • If you have the XR11: Press the Setup button on your Voice Remote until the LED at the top changes from red to green. 
    • If you have the XR15: Press and hold the A and D buttons at the same time until the LED at the top changes from red to green.
  4. Press the Rogers button on your Voice Remote. The LED will begin flashing green and the TV screen will prompt you to enter a provided three-digit code.
  5. Enter the three-digit code to finalize the pairing.

I don't have an XR15 to test with but I think that the instructions in the Rogers article are incorrect.  To perform the initial pairing with the set-top box, press and hold the "Rogers" and the "i" buttons simultaneously; the status LED on the XR15 should turn green and you should see an on-screen prompt on your TV for you to enter a 3-digit code to finalize the pairing.  Once done, you should then be prompted to complete the setup for programming the XR15 so that it can control your TV and (optionally) your AV receiver/sound bar.

Holding the "A" and "D" buttons simultaneously is for a different setup function.

Topic Stats
  • 34 replies
  • 27 Likes
  • 10 in conversation