cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade new phone would extend the contract period?

hhartadi1
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I am thinking to upgrade my phone, however I am wondering if this would extending my 2 years contract?

***EDITED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: upgrade new phone would extend the contract period?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ hhartadi1

You're contract will renew. This means you will start a new 2 year contract with Rogers. Only way out of this is buying the phone outright and continue with you're current contract.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ hhartadi1

You're contract will renew. This means you will start a new 2 year contract with Rogers. Only way out of this is buying the phone outright and continue with you're current contract.

hhartadi1
I've been here awhile

Hi Meowmix,

could you elaborate about " buying the phone outright" ?

I will pay the outstanding phone cost balance (current phone)

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @hhartadi1

It means that you have to pay full price for your new phone so that means that you don’t have to restart a new contract. So let’s see a new iPhone 11 cost 1500, then you will pay $1,500 for the phone so you don't sign a new 2 year contract.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
the point of people signing a contract is to avoid paying the full price of the handset and subsidizing it so you pay a lower upfront fee for the expensive handset and commit to using it for 2 years. but also remember, these handsets are expensive not cheap so be careful with it and try not to break it or damage it, cus once your locked in a contract, a replacement phone will cost you the full outright price not a subsidized price you got a discount on

I have had our cell service with Rogers for at least a decade and have always been able to work with them when it came to renewing our contract and pricing. That however appears to have changed. I had been told the contracts and phones were 2 separate things but apparently not anymore. I went to renew our contract and have been informed it is going to jump up over $100 from what I am paying now. The person was polite but somewhat dismissive and now I am having to move my husband and son to a different provider. Truly disappointed.

Good day @Richards2935,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Forums! We certainly do value your loyalty and would hate to see you change provider.

Device pricing for hardware upgrades is based on your price plan category. If you have a higher category, you may be eligible for a higher subsidy on certain devices than customers in a lower category (e.g. the same device could be $200 less for Edge 40 than it is for Edge 20).

If you consider upgrading to a Premium Smartphone device, you must be on an eligible Infinite plan in order to obtain a subsidy on a two year term renewal.

If you are currently not on an eligible plan you can either :

• Purchase a phone without subsidy (ie. at full price).
  • Upgrade to a subsidized Edge 20 or Edge 30 to lower the cost of the device upfront (instead of Edge 40, for example).

Don't forget that you can trade in your old phone for a discount on your new subsidized hardware upgrade to further reduce the cost of your device! 

Please reach out to us via private message @CommunityHelps, if you would like us to take another look to your account. Simply click here for the instructions on how to do so. Thanks!

RogersMaude​​​​​​​

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation