cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Joy for Legacy Customers

foodtech46
I plan to stick around

For technical reasons I want to keep my Legacy Phone, Internet and TV services but Rogers won't give me any promotional discounts any longer. I just spent 2 hours in chat, was promised a connection to a supervisor but after 30 minutes it never happened.

Unless you fit into Rogers' little box of technology they want nothing to do with you even if you have been a customer since 1991.

***Edited Labels***

19 REPLIES 19

Re: No Joy for Legacy Customers

RogersZia

@foodtech46 , I understand your concerns. I see that you've connected with us in PMs. I hope you had a satisfactory conversation with us :).

RogersZia

foodtech46
I plan to stick around

Yes I had a nice conversation here. Doesn't change the situation but my expectations with Rogers cistomer service are at a low ebb.

foodtech46
I plan to stick around

Although I am not ready to give up Legacy until Rogers forces it on me, I am going to make some wiring changes at home so at least a new all-in-one gateway will be located in a proper position in my home. I need it to be upstairs next to a desktop system that connects by wire. In order to have all the phones connected I need a phone jack in that room.

@foodtech46 here's some food for thought.  If you have an ethernet cable run that starts or terminates (depending on your point of view) at the location where the current Home Phone modem sits, you could port out your home phone number to a voip provider.  Then, you would need an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) to replace the Home Phone modem.  You probably have a surface mount jack that is used to connect the Home Phone modem to the house telephone system.  Assuming that your installation is the same as what I have, you would simply disconnect the home phone modem from the surface mount jack and plug in the ATA.  The ATA also connects to your modem or router thru an ethernet connector.  That is how you access the ATA to configure it and that is also the path that the ATA uses to connect with the voip servers.  The voip account and ATA would have to be set up so that the ATA contacts the voip provider servers and does so securely.  Once that is done, you probably wouldn't have to look at it again except for account payments.  

The Home Phone service was included in the Ignite TV service when it was first introduced buy I believe that Rogers has changed that so that Home Phone service is now a separate charge.  I suspect that the voip provider would be cheaper than Rogers Home Phone service that runs thru the Comcast XB6, XB7 or XB8 modems. 

Those modems have a telephone port to provide telephone service  If you were to use a two port telephone splitter, you should be able to connect a phone which is located at the modem and connect the house telephone system if in fact you had a telephone cable in that room.  The current Home Phone modem would be removed and the newer XB6/7/8 would run the house telephone system.  Ideally, for telephone purposes, the new modem would sit where the current Home Phone modem resides, but, that doesn't do the customers any good for wifi purposes and potentially the tv services as well. Comcast's all in one design doesn't recognize the fact that North American homes aren't built to suit Comcasts modem designs.

foodtech46
I plan to stick around

@Datalink thanks for your input, but sadly all I have where the Ignite gateway should be is a coax cable that brings in the Internet. My old Home Phone modem is in the basement. No way to connect an Ignite gateway to everything except in the basement near the electrical panel - which sucks as currently I have my old school DOCSIS 3 modem upstairs feeding a desktop system via Ethernet. If I get a phone jack installed next to the current modem I'll be future proofed for the sad day when Rogers messes up my communications. I'll also have to dump a perfectly good SDTV at that time.

@foodtech46 in some homes, there's just no easy answer.  Consider running ethernet over coax as well.  You would need to buy two or more MoCA adapters which converts ethernet to coax cabling, and possibly buy a MoCa 2.0 rated splitter and Point of Entry MoCA filter to prevent MoCA data from exiting the home or entering the home from outside.  It all depends on what you might need to do and where the modem would be located.  If you were only going to run a single exit point as an ethernet access point, they you would probably need two MoCA adapters to run point to point.  If you're not gaming, that should work and allow you to park the modem somewhere else in the house.  You can run modem internet access and MoCA data over the same cable as they are separated by frequency, which brings about the requirement for a MoCa splitter and POE filter.  If you're in a position where the house RG59/RG6 cable is on its own, not used for the modem, then you can simply run a MoCA network point to point.  The result would be an internal MoCA network, internal to the house that is. 

foodtech46
I plan to stick around

@Datalink  I think the simplest solution for me would be to have the current coax and a telephone jack side by side in the room where the modem is now. Then the Ignite gateway could be connected to the Rogers supply, the home telephone system and also run a short Ethernet cable over to my desktop. The upstairs room is ideal for the Internet and wifi connections just can't connect the phones there. In your experience is the Ignite gateway powerful enough to serve as a wifi access point for the whole house without pods or a mesh network such as I have now? My house is only about 1500 square feet but I have TV and wifi needs in the basement.

I suspect that you will need pods or a mesh network, but, you really won't know until you're there.  The basement isn't usually an easy location to deal with, but, you would have to test it out to see what you get for results. 

foodtech46
I plan to stick around

I will get a telephone jack installed next to my current Internet modem next week, so I'll be ready for any necessary changes to my current setup.

@foodtech46 wrote:

Although I am not ready to give up Legacy until Rogers forces it on me, I am going to make some wiring changes at home so at least a new all-in-one gateway will be located in a proper position in my home. I need it to be upstairs next to a desktop system that connects by wire. In order to have all the phones connected I need a phone jack in that room.

Hello foodtech46

If Landline Home Phone service and enabling the inside jacks is a priority or must have, you should really consider getting a phone jack installed in the room you would like your Ignite modem gateway to be installed.

I was in the same situation as you when I was young, I needed a Telephone,  Ethernet  and Coaxial Cable jack installed in the bedroom I wanted.  I was 16 years old at the time and learned how to fish the wires myself behind the walls.  I also installed a 3 port wall plate and terminated all 3 wires to the wall jack in the bed room.

Back in the day Rogers modem only outputted internet, but fast forward to 2023, my parents now are getting the ignite gateway and will have it installed in the bed room, the phone jack will connect to the RJ11, the Ethernet jack will connect to the RJ45, and the Coax will connect to the Cable TV connector on that wall plate and will make for a nice clean install and I plan to make sure all the cables are 6 foot in length for simplicity.

If you are not as tech savvy as you wish you can always run a surface mount telephone jack and mount it to the wall, you can then staple the wires along the baseboard through out your house and run them to the next closest jack and tie it in to that to activate the jack.     You can pretty much do anything its mostly about how nice you want it to look and how much your willing to spend to get the jack installed.

foodtech46
I plan to stick around

@Pauly thanks for your input. I need some other electrical work done at home so I'll get the RJ11 jack installed at the same time. The connection to the home phone block is right below where I need the jack so the cable run won't be more than a couple of meters. I currently have coax coming into the room upstairs and I run an Ethernet cable from my current router to a desktop computer. That could all be connected to Ignite.

My current mesh router setup gives me good coverage in the basement so I don't want to get rid of it until I have to. Also I have a well functioning old SDTV and Explorer 8300 that my wife likes and that will likely have to be scrapped when I'm forced to "upgrade." None of this is something I look forward to.

Jlr123
I've been here awhile

I was just on with rogers support , I've been a rogers customer since 1991 also , I guess I've just become a sheep in the rogers world over the years , and i can honestly say that the service just gets worse and worse , the ones that work in rogers stores can't do anything for anyone but sell them products , the operators can not resolve any issues whatsoever , what are these people actually being paid for ?

foodtech46
I plan to stick around

I now have a phone jack next to where an Ignite gateway would go in my upstairs room so I am "future proofed" for the day when Rogers forces me to upgrade and get rid of a bunch of well functioning tech including a mesh router system.

Legacy56
I've been around

True!!! I finally gave in and  agreed to migrate to Ignite. Spend an hour with a live chat agent last night agreeing to the bundle price. When they emailed the confirmation this morning it did not match. Called in today and was told to deal with it after the install...  I did a screen grab of our chat with the numbers we agreed to.

Babylegs1
I plan to stick around
Just transfer the home phone to a cheap cell phone line… way too much work to maintain that home phone

jeffbloom1
I've been around

I am experiencing the same poor attention to service. I have been a client since 1992, and Rogers does not care at all. Extremely frustrating and a major league disappointment 

rogeryao
I've been here awhile

I have some issues with my legacy plan but rogers refuse to fix it.

rogeryao
I've been here awhile

If i cancel the legacy plan within my contract time, do i need to pay some penalty ?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rogeryao wrote:

I have some issues with my legacy plan but rogers refuse to fix it.

If i cancel the legacy plan within my contract time, do i need to pay some penalty ?

Which legacy service are you having problems with and what problem are you experiencing?  If you are under a term contract and cancel your service, you almost certainly be subject to penalties and cancellation fees.

If Rogers notifies you of an upcoming change to their service, that you do not agree with, you may have a way out of your contract without paying a penalty or early cancellation fee.  However, you may still need to settle fees associated with financing devices, if applicable, but at least you potentially have a way out of your contract.

If you are experiencing technical issues that Rogers is not able to resolve, you may also be able to get out of your contract... but you first need to give Rogers an opportunity to resolve the problem.  If the problems persist, you can give Rogers the option to release you from your contract.  If you are still trapped in a contract and Rogers is not delivering on their contractual commitments to you, you should file a complaint with the CCTS.  However, once you do that, Rogers will stop working with you to resolve any outstanding problems until the complaint resolution process has completed.

Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 10 in conversation