cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Upgrade to 1 Gig Without Ignite Wifi or Hub?

melionone
I've been here awhile

Lots of questions, and any help would be appreciated, since I tried telephone to Rogers (Jan 7 2022 a 3 hour wait in cue is required I will not wait 3 hour. And I waited 1 hour for a text chat and still did not resolve this .

As you see from the test I am getting excellent download and upload to the modem now. 

However I wish to increase the speed to 1 Gig if possible because of teens gaming etc

1. Is it possible get internet to 1 Gig Speed which is currently IGNITE INTERNET 150-UNLIMITED.
  2. Is Rogers able to increase the speed to my existing modem so that its double or triple ?
  3. They are pushing ignite wifi, offering up to 1.5 gbps download,
  4. Do they need to install an antennae and new modem and pods for extensions?
  5. I have 3 Netgear Mesh extenders brand new and I do NOT want to replace them.
  6. I have a router that is connected to the existing Rogers Advanced Wi-Fi Modem Rental  301MBPS Download 16MBPS Upload

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Internet Upgrade to 1 Gig Without Ignite Wifi or Hub?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You should be able to upgrade your existing Internet plan to say 500 mbps (perhaps higher). This would allow you to retain all your existing equipment, etc.  As you are aware, they are pushing people to switch to IgniteTV which would mean a totally different approach and I suggest you read up on that here in the IgniteTV forum, etc.

Eventually everyone will be migrated to IgniteTV and there will be no more legacy digital cable, and the timeframe for that is unknown, although Rogers is making it more and more difficult to remain on legacy digital cable with pricing and with lowering of some services/packages, etc.

Re: Internet Upgrade to 1 Gig Without Ignite Wifi or Hub?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@melionone what modem do you currently have?  The modems can be seen on the following page:

Internet Support | Rogers

I believe, and don't quote me on this one, anything below 500 Mb/s downstream uses the CGN3 modems.  For 500 Mb/s and 1 Gb/s you would need to switch to the Hitron Coda-4582.  For 1 Gb/s that is the modem that you would need, for 500 Mb/s I believe that the same modem applies. 

The problem and question here is whether or not Rogers is actually releasing the 4582 modem for customers such as yourself who aren't interested in making the jump to the newer Ignite plans which use the XB6 and XB7 modems.  You will have to ask the moderators for the current company policy.  

Fwiw, with your mesh extenders and router, the easiest path would be to allow you to upgrade to the 1 Gb/s plan with the Coda-4582 modem.  That allows for a 30 Mb/s upload rate.  With any of the Hitron modems, you flip the modem into Bridge mode and voila, no more wifi from the modem to fight with.  With the XB6 and XB7 modems that is not the case.  Assuming that you would also be running a tv service, the modems transmit their own wifi networks regardless of operating mode, Gateway or Bridge mode.  So, you can end up with worse wifi performance from the modem and any associated Rogers pods unless you put in a considerable amount of effort to fine tune the pod locations.  So, if you can, upgrading to the hitron Coda-4582, in your case would be much simpler. 

Other food for thought, If you have teens gaming on your network, you should be considering using an appropriate QOS such as CAKE.  That would probably solve the problem.  There are drawbacks to running CAKE.  Its math intensive, so it would end up limiting the throughput to somewhere around 300 to 400 Mb/s, which would be fine for your current internet plan, but, if you did increase the plan to 1 Gb/s down / 30 Mb/s up, CAKE would drop that back to the 300 to 400 Mb/s range.  CAKE manages the data ques so that all data is basically treated fairly. 

Other food for thought would be to use Adaptive QoS or FQ Codel, both of which are data management tools.  These might be available in your current router listed under QOS or Traffic Management.

Fwiw, looking at the 1.5 Gb/s download rate, that appears to be available for Rogers Fibre customers, which are few and far between these days.  If you look at this page:

About Ignite Internet – High Speed, Unlimited Internet | Rogers

scroll down and expand the details section to see the fine print.  I don't think I've seen any Rogers customer on fibre indicate that they're receiving 1.5 Gb/s down.  It might be true, but I can't think of any posts that I've seen that indicates that.  The most important part, with multiple teenagers gaming in the household, is probably the upload rate and controlling the upload ques so that one user can't hog the upload cue, or potentially the download cue by downloading large files.   

The best that I've seen from any Ignite user running an XB7 modem is approx 1.1 to 1.2 Mb/s down.  Thats using the XB7's 2.5 Gb/s port, connected to a pc which also had a 2.5 Gb/s port.  Normally, with a gigabit port on a modem or pc, the best that you will see is approx 940 Mb/s.  So, users can see another 200 Mb/s above that, if in fact their running a pc with a 2.5 Gb/s port or potentially a multi-gig switch which also has 2.5 Gb/s ethernet ports.  Those are becoming more common these days.  Here's one example:

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TL-SG105-M2-Multi-Gigabit-Wall-Mount-Protection/dp/B08ZHGT2ZP/ref=sr_1...

Still expensive compared to $25 to $50 dollars for a simple gigabit switch, but, the 2.5 Gb/s ports do allow the user to run a slightly higher download rate, considering that Rogers appears to be overprovisioning the gigabit rate to run faster for for the XB7 modems.  

So, there's some food for thought.  Upgrading to a 1 Gb/s down, 30 Mb/s up would or could help, just a question of whether or not Rogers will allow that with the Hitron Coda-4582 modem.  Other than that, take a look at your router to see what's available for QOS selections.  

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation