cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long for Digital VIP

geddo
I plan to stick around

I'm look at switching over to Ignite, but does anyone know how much longer Digital VIP will be going for until I am forced to change? 

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How long for Digital VIP

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@geddo wrote:

I'm look at switching over to Ignite, but does anyone know how much longer Digital VIP will be going for until I am forced to change? 

Rogers won't comment about this in writing.  When they do, they will update this page:  https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/discontinuation-of-our-digital-tv-packages

I'm honestly surprised that Digital TV has remained online for this long.  Obviously, one showstopper was that Rogers did not have a standalone Ignite TV offering; you could only get it bundled with Ignite Internet.  That has since changed: https://www.rogers.com/tv/ignite-tv-only#/starter-channels

Another showstopper was that Rogers had Bulk Agreements in place with some building managers.

The last time that I searched the CRTC site, I was not able to find any filings related to the discontinuation of Digital TV.  However, one thing that we DO know from Telecom Decision CRTC 2021-385 is that after December 31, 2023, Rogers WILL be permitted to bump all DOCSIS 3.0 modems from their network.  That will allow them to reallocate all of the spectrum currently used by QAM channels.  Many speculate that this will also be the end-date for Digital TV.

I don't know how many active Digital TV subscribers Rogers still has but if they are confident that they will be permitted to shut down the Digital TV service with minimal notice, they will be happy to have any remaining Digital TV customers paying full price for as long as Rogers needs to keep the legacy infrastructure up and running, to minimize their operational losses.

Once the last of their Bulk Agreements expires, I can't see Rogers keeping their Digital TV infrastructure powered up for any longer than absolutely necessary.  If December 31, 2023 does turn out to be the actual planned end date for Digital TV, we should see filings for the discontinuation of service with the CRTC sometime in the fall at the latest, although customers may not get notified until they receive their November bill.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The rumour is that Legacy Digital Cable customers will be migrated to IgniteTV by the end of 2023.  There is no firm date or confirmation from Rogers, so this is speculation, but it has been mentioned several times.  If you intend to eventually migrate to IgniteTV, I would suggest that you not wait for the last minute when there will be chaos.

MDUs (apartments and the like) will take longer to migrate.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@geddo wrote:

Rogers won't comment about this in writing.  When they do, they will update this page:  https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/discontinuation-of-our-digital-tv-packages

I'm honestly surprised that Digital TV has remained online for this long.  Obviously, one showstopper was that Rogers did not have a standalone Ignite TV offering; you could only get it bundled with Ignite Internet.  That has since changed: https://www.rogers.com/tv/ignite-tv-only#/starter-channels

Another showstopper was that Rogers had Bulk Agreements in place with some building managers.

The last time that I searched the CRTC site, I was not able to find any filings related to the discontinuation of Digital TV.  However, one thing that we DO know from Telecom Decision CRTC 2021-385 is that after December 31, 2023, Rogers WILL be permitted to bump all DOCSIS 3.0 modems from their network.  That will allow them to reallocate all of the spectrum currently used by QAM channels.  Many speculate that this will also be the end-date for Digital TV.

I don't know how many active Digital TV subscribers Rogers still has but if they are confident that they will be permitted to shut down the Digital TV service with minimal notice, they will be happy to have any remaining Digital TV customers paying full price for as long as Rogers needs to keep the legacy infrastructure up and running, to minimize their operational losses.

Once the last of their Bulk Agreements expires, I can't see Rogers keeping their Digital TV infrastructure powered up for any longer than absolutely necessary.  If December 31, 2023 does turn out to be the actual planned end date for Digital TV, we should see filings for the discontinuation of service with the CRTC sometime in the fall at the latest, although customers may not get notified until they receive their November bill.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just as an FYI, Rogers is ending legacy digital cable service on June 1 for Source Cable in Hamilton, Kincardine Cable and Compton Cable. So, it's happening, and it's probably best not to wait until the last minute if you are going to stay with Rogers and migrate to IgniteTV.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/a-new-update-on-source-cable-in-hamilton.294809/#post-3153394

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation