cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Internet Overage Charges with No Usage Alerts

SPLB
I've been here awhile

This is the second time it's happened to me so I wanted to throw it out here: 

My March bill contained an overage charge because I apparently went 22GB over my limit. Fine, I rarely go over my limit but it's possible I did in that timeframe, so I paid the bill.

The problem is that I never received a 75%, 90% or 100% usage warning, so receiving the bill was a bit of a surprise, and when I log in to see the Alert History page in my Usage Alerts it says: 

Sorry, we're not able to display your info.

We're working to fix the issue.

This is the second time this has happened in the past 12 months! The first time it happened, in July, there was an issue with my work's cloud syncing and 15GB of files were re-uploaded and downloaded a whole bunch of times within one day, which I think is what pushed me over the limit. So when I got the bill with the overage charge I assumed that the reason I never saw any warnings was because of that whole flukey situation.

But this time I have no idea! My usage is high overall but I've had a lot of video calls and there's no one day that has anomalously high usage. If I had received 75% or 90% notices with a week left in the billing period I definitely would have been more cautious. And it is concerning that the alert history page is broken. 

Is anyone else running into this problem? 

I know that the warnings do work sometimes because I got a 75% usage warning in October. So what is happening here? Are they really not showing me these alerts? Do they not display if I run into the limit while using background data processes or my smarttv or something? Is someone hacking into my wifi and getting these alerts instead of me??? Is there any way to get an email or text message or something instead of just the alert display in the browser?

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Home Internet Overage Charges with No Usage Alerts

RogersYasmine

Hello @SPLB,

Thanks for joining us here in the community and for sharing your billing concerns. And congrats on this being your first post! I understand that unexpected overage charges are not a pleasant surprise when opening up your bill. 😞 I'll do my best to try and clarify how our system works when it comes to internet overages.

You are correct that customers are sent a notification when they reach 75%, 90% and 100% of their monthly bandwidth activity, however, there are some important things to note:

• Notifications may be sent up to 48 hours after the limit has been reached.
  • They are compatible with all popular browsers and operating systems.
  • Notifications will be displayed as a pop-up online while browsing the internet.
  • Customers accumulating usage through a non-web browser application, such as peer to peer, VoIP, or online gaming consoles, will be sent the notification the next time they open their web browser during the same billing period.
  • Customers will have to click on the link that acknowledges that they have read the online notification message. If a customer closes their browser without clicking on the message, it will open again the next time they launch their web browser until we receive acknowledgement.

Out of curiosity, are there other people in your household that are using the internet as well? If so I wonder if they are acknowledging the notifications and forgetting to mention it to you? Just something to consider.

Another piece I think is important to mention is that we also provide an email notification when you reach 75% and 100% of your monthly usage allowance. It should go to the registered @rogers.com email address on the account or to the primary contact on the account (depending on which internet platform you are using, the new one or the old one). 

With that being said, we are happy to take a closer look into this for you to help better understand what happened. You may also want to consider moving to one of our Unlimited internet plans going forward since you mentioned that you are generally a heavy internet user. It definitely provides some peace of mind. Feel free to send us a PM to get started. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

Thank you,

RogersYasmine

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Home Internet Overage Charges with No Usage Alerts

RogersYasmine

Hello @SPLB,

Thanks for joining us here in the community and for sharing your billing concerns. And congrats on this being your first post! I understand that unexpected overage charges are not a pleasant surprise when opening up your bill. 😞 I'll do my best to try and clarify how our system works when it comes to internet overages.

You are correct that customers are sent a notification when they reach 75%, 90% and 100% of their monthly bandwidth activity, however, there are some important things to note:

• Notifications may be sent up to 48 hours after the limit has been reached.
  • They are compatible with all popular browsers and operating systems.
  • Notifications will be displayed as a pop-up online while browsing the internet.
  • Customers accumulating usage through a non-web browser application, such as peer to peer, VoIP, or online gaming consoles, will be sent the notification the next time they open their web browser during the same billing period.
  • Customers will have to click on the link that acknowledges that they have read the online notification message. If a customer closes their browser without clicking on the message, it will open again the next time they launch their web browser until we receive acknowledgement.

Out of curiosity, are there other people in your household that are using the internet as well? If so I wonder if they are acknowledging the notifications and forgetting to mention it to you? Just something to consider.

Another piece I think is important to mention is that we also provide an email notification when you reach 75% and 100% of your monthly usage allowance. It should go to the registered @rogers.com email address on the account or to the primary contact on the account (depending on which internet platform you are using, the new one or the old one). 

With that being said, we are happy to take a closer look into this for you to help better understand what happened. You may also want to consider moving to one of our Unlimited internet plans going forward since you mentioned that you are generally a heavy internet user. It definitely provides some peace of mind. Feel free to send us a PM to get started. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

Thank you,

RogersYasmine

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation