cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Credit Inquiry done despite being told that there would be NO credit check

abhikghoshal
I've been here awhile

I applied for Rogers Internet connection on July 14th, 2023 by calling Rogers customer care. I was told by the Rogers salesperson on the call that since I am already a Fido mobile customer since Dec-2017, Rogers would therefore NOT do a credit check (hard or soft) for my new connection but instead they will use my Fido bill payment history. But on checking my recent Transunion consumer disclosure, I do see a hard inquiry done by Rogers on July 14th, 2023. This caused my Transunion credit score to drop 52 points from 828 (Jul 10th 2023) to 776 (Aug 10th 2023). Please advise why Rogers carried out a hard inquiry on my Transunion credit file when the salesperson said that they wouldn't do so. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Hard Credit Inquiry done despite being told that there would be NO credit check

RogersYasmine

Hello @abhikghoshal,

Thanks for joining us in the Rogers forums and for sharing your recent experience. 🙂

I can certainly understand your dismay, after being promised one thing and receiving another. I'd be upset, too.

Normally, if you have existing or cancelled services with Rogers or Fido, and decide to activate a new product or service, we wouldn't need to do an external credit evaluation, and can simply use the payment history from your existing/former accounts to do a SOFT credit check. Just to be clear, a soft credit check does not hit your credit bureau and is only done internally.

With this being said, if you have an account that is associated to you, that was turned over to a collection agency, this may be reason to do an external credit check. However, the agent completing your transaction should have made you well-aware of this and gained your consent, before proceeding (if applicable).

What we can do is have a closer look into this matter for you, to get a better handle on what transpired, and go from there. Feel free to send us a PM @CommunityHelps to get started.

Kind regards,
RogersYasmine

Re: Hard Credit Inquiry done despite being told that there would be NO credit check

I have sent a PM to @CommunityHelps . Thanks.

SwimSnowTimmy
I'm here a lot
Best thing is to file a dispute with Trans Union. I did this as I didn’t give permission to access my file and they cleared it quickly. Keep any conversations you may have had online to back up the claims, if you have them. Good luck

Thibodeau
I've been here awhile

I moved and then set up another account, without any balance owing, perfect payment, and when I signed up again, less than 2 months later I had a hard inquiry too, without even informing me. I just saw it months later.  It's very upsetting bc there was absolutely no need to ding my credit like that. Heck, my mom's account was still active under my profile and never disconnected, paid in full every month. Why would they do that to good colustomers who have literally never owed rogers money? 

I would send in a dispute form to transunion asap. If rogers doesn’t have any authorization from you aka signed consent than it has to be removed. State specifically that you didn’t authorize, and even then rogers does internal credit checks (no hit to report) for any upgrades, etc. good luck

Thibodeau
I've been here awhile
Thank you for the info. I'm trying to get those numbers up and I was so surprised they did that. I had no idea we had to consent. Great to know, I appreciate that
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation