cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Internet/TV and moving

batch82
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I have digital internet/cable in my house. It works just fine. I'm moving and the call center person said Rogers can't move digital services because it requires a tech to come in the house (and they won't because of COVID). The call center person said they can install Ignite services as it does not require home entry to install.  The call center person admitted she wasn't a technical expert, but wouldn't budge on this fact.

My question: is this a load of corporate lies, meant to kill any digital grandfathers?  What I've read in the forums is that Ignite is installed with tech's coming in the house.  Further, why do techs need to come in the house at all?  Shouldn't I be able to plug my modem and STBs into the coaxial outlet and they will detect the Rogers signal (so long as Rogers hasn't blocked it at the pole)?

Rogers has offered to buy back my digital STBs to switch, but I fear Ignite is a scam meant to lock me into device rentals and future sudden price increases.

Thanks

***Added Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Digital Internet/TV and moving

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @batch82!

Welcome to the community!

Digital service moves require a technician to enter your home and currently for the safety of you, your family as well as our employees, we have paused this type of installation. We are able to activate Internet, TV and Home Phone services at your new address on our new Ignite  platform because our Techs do not need to enter your home. 

If you're not interested in activating Ignite services at your new address, we'll have to schedule your installation a minimum of 60 days out when Technician's out when Technicians may be able to enter your home safely.

For more information you can reach out to Rogers Concierge directly.

Rogers Concierge:

Toll Free Number: 1-877-696-6839

Live Chat English: http://rogers.com/contactus 

Hours of Operation

Call Center English: Sunday to Saturday: 7:00 a.m. – Midnight (ET)

Moves Live Chat: Sunday to Saturday: 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. (ET). 

@RogersAndy

batch82
I've been here awhile
Yes, that's the same story the call center gave. I want to know WHY! I understand the inability to enter a home. I don't understand why one service requires that and the other does not.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@batch82 wrote:
Yes, that's the same story the call center gave. I want to know WHY! I understand the inability to enter a home. I don't understand why one service requires that and the other does not.

That's a good question, and there are valid technical reasons why both the Digital TV and Ignite TV services should be installed by a technician and situations where both could also be self-installed.

There are two recent posts, this one and this one where Digital TV customers want to switch to Ignite TV but are not being allowed to self-install.  I can understand this, especially when the Home Phone service is involved and/or when the existing cable installation needs to be cleaned up.

For the sake of consistency, I don't understand why Rogers would allow you to self-install Ignite TV, Internet and Home Phone at your new address... unless you were moving into a brand new home.

What kind of a deal are they offering you to buy back your set-top boxes and switch to Ignite TV?  At some point Digital TV will be going away and when existing discounts expire, Rogers has not been allowing any discounts on renewals.  If they are making you a good offer to switch to Ignite, you should at least consider it and weigh it against other available options.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation