cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data overage consent for Rocket Hub?

Dastrum
I plan to stick around

Apparently there was a change in the CRTC Wireless Code and now mobile users have to consent to increases in data usage and charges. Unfortunately this seems to apply to Rocket Hub users as well because I've had to call support two times now to remove holds on my data. Once was last month when I reached the $50 overage limit and just now when I reached the 2nd tier in my mobile flex plan. I was referred to a link on the Rogers website that I could click next time but I can't seem to get it to work. I was wondering if anyone knew the link?

I have to wonder why Mobile Internet was just lumped in with this change considering there is no way to send and receive texts from a Rocket Hub. I checked my bill from last month and it lists no option for Mobile Internet users other than calling support and waiting for a representative. It's really inconvenient to have to call the support line just to get regain access to a service that's theoretically already been paid for. 

*Edited Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Data overage consent for Rocket Hub?

Hello Community!

I would just like to take a moment to elaborate on how our Flex Plans work in compliance with CRTC regulations 🙂

Once a subscriber has reached a Flex Level $50 over the Monthly Service Fees from Flex Level 1, you will need to consent to further overages.

As an example if you have the following Flex Plan Monthly Service Fees:

Level 1 - $60 (up to 5GB)
Level 2 - $75 (up to 10GB)
Level 3 - $90 (up to 20GB)
Level 4 - $110 (up to 50GB)
Level 5 - $145 (up to 100GB)

In this example, once your usage goes passed 20GB, you will have reached Level 4. With the price difference between Level 1 ($60) and level 4 ($110) you will be in Overage, and your data access will be blocked until you consent to resume data usage despite being in overage.

I know it may be inconvenient for those who use this as their primary Internet access... but please understand that this is by design so that we can be compliant as of the December 1st implementation of the Wireless Code Of Conduct.

If you happen to be getting the data intercept earlier or later than what I've outlined above, please reach out to us @CommunityHelps so we can investigate and escalate your account for further review if necessary. You can find instructions on how to PM us here.

As always, thank you for your contributions and for making this Community a pleasant place to be. Enjoy your Sunday afternoon, wherever you are!

Regards,

RogersCorey

View solution in original post

57 REPLIES 57

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Because its a celluar device.. unfortunately rogers probably HAS to comply with the cut offs due to the CRTC ruling.

Now i dont have one of these myself, but if you log into the rocket hub itself, there is no message/text area for it?

As i know the rocket hub mobile hotspots, they DO have a text message thing on them.

Dastrum
I plan to stick around

I have the 3G27WV-R-3G WiFi Rocket Hub. I don't see a message area when I log in other than the system log which is a constant stream of error messages stating the limit has been exceeded from before I called support.

I mean I'm not complaining about being notified, it just would be nice if I had been given a heads up about my internet access being cut off out of the blue. I used to be prompted with a browser message I could click but apparently that's gone. So that's why I'm inquiring about a link as I can't send and receive texts.

Dastrum
I plan to stick around

As an update I did find the web address I was looking for. I don't know if I'm allowed to post it here but I'm sure a community moderator will fix it if not. It's here.

Good morning @Dastrum,

The link you've shared above was specific to the time/instance you received the notification. It will no longer work Robot Happy

Hope this helps~

RogersZia

dogtag
I've been around

changes to rocket stick flex plan

yesterday while trying to access my internet via my Rogers rocket stick I found that all but the rogers website was blocked off. Then I received a message from rogers saying that I had reach my limit on my internet and would have a extra $50 sir charge on my bill for overage use. I found this very confusing because I am on the flex plan which as you know the amount I pay goes up the more I use so I have never received this message before. Only after I phoned rogers that I was able to get online. The young lady that I dealt with was very accommodating and helpful while she help to restore my internet she had informed my that my internet package had changed as of the start of this year but she could not give me the details of the changes. Now while I understand that thing can't stay the same forever I would expect that Rogers would keep me informed on any changes that would impact services . I have now spent then better part of two day trying to figure out the changes made to my flex plan online with little luck. So my big question is what are the changes to my internet flex plan and why was I not informed of them before they came in to effect????

I have been a loyal costumer to rogers since 2006 and in light of  these event I now find myself debating whether or not to continue doing business with Rogers      

Hello, @dogtag

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. We definitely appreciate your loyalty, thank you for being a member of Rogers family since 2006. The overage notification of $50 on a flex plan can certainly be confusing.

This change of getting the overage notification after crossing the first tier of data by $50 is effective as of December 01, 2017. For more details about the changes, please see the Wireless Code. Below is the excerpt relevant to your concern;

For a customer with a flex plan, the customer begins incurring overage fees after the first tier of data is exceeded, and the service provider must suspend data service when they reach an additional $50 in overage fees, unless the account holder or authorized user expressly consents to additional charges.

Thank you for understanding.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

So let me understand that right..

So if your on a FLEX plan, when it goes past that teir, it will shut off at $50 over.
But thats only $50 over the first teir.. your still in that 'tier' pay group.
Call in, get it released, and it will allow you to go further, etc?

wobbletop
I've been here awhile

Thats the correct address rogers.com/m/dc . Access it from any computer on the same wifi as the hub. You'll receive an error message 302 when you approve it, but speaking with technical support, they say it's "expected". 

I also had to restart the device... I used the restart button under the hub webpage Settings->Device Settings->Restart

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I recall in a post, or reading on the net, that Rogers and other companies were given an extension past the December 1st date of implementation around the changes in the wireless code.  I see the link to the code was provided, but with all of these changes to data caps for roaming, the recent changes around the number of days for roam like home, would it be possible for a list of links to all the major changes that have come into place in the laat two months due to the wireless changes, in order to make it easier for all to understand how their services have changed.

Just a suggestion to help everyone deal with these new changes.

Maybe a separate pinned post entitled, changes in service plans and clarifications.

This could include the original post on pay as you go, and the current state of how people need to call in and deal with the concern and future forms of their plans individually with the phone number.

Changes to the roam like home days and daily rates, which ultimately can mean a considerable increase before it caps out, along with the future explanation of how roam like home data caps and home caps from Canada across multiple devices on one account will work, and other significant changes, say under a category of changes due to new Wireless code implemenations.

Bruce

Dastrum
I plan to stick around

I usually use up to or over the plan's max 100gb so I'm familiar with the $50 additional data overage cutoff and had a way of accepting the charge to continue using the internet before this change. The cutoff now coming after the first tier of the Flex Plan is particularly annoying. Having to call the support telephone number, something I am loathe to do, just to get reconnected to the service that frankly, I pay a heck of a lot of money for, is kind of nonsense. Now I have to do it twice? It seems there was no consideration whatsoever for wireless mobile internet users. This is why I'm annoyed. I haven't had to try using the link mentioned yet so I guess we'll see if it fixes the problem.

I have had the message pop up once last week and then today it stopped working mysteriously until i rebooted.

In addition, the person i spoke to said that if I actually go over my 100GB I won't receive a notification that I've gone over because I have already accepted the overage charges.

While i understand how this feature is of great benefit to mobile phone users; this is not acceptable for a mobile internet plan. I work from home and am on online meetings all the time. I cannot afford to have a call dropped because I've gone up a tier.

And i have Rogers on speed dial now, even though i can answer "GO" to the text message, I am going to call in every time to voice my complaints yet again.

victor4
I plan to stick around

feb 9 2018 I could not get internet service it suggested a cable was unplugged so I spent a whole day checking cables ,battery, reset button etc,etc this is on a rocket hub my cell phone from virgin would not get internet data until I shut off the wi fi although it showed the rocket hub was working finally went to store and found nothing wrong with hub but data was denied I HADNO NOTIFICATION FROM ROGERS THIS WOULD HAPPEN I PAY 124.50 EVERY MONTH FOR ABOUT 32 GIGS I PRETTY NEAR PUT A HAMMER TO HUB  WHEN IT WAS YOU  PUTTING ME IN A BAD PLACE

Hello @victor4 and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums Robot Happy!

I apologize for the recent service interruption you experienced. Has this reoccurred since you last posted here?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

RogersZia

victor4
I plan to stick around

yes one time I has to reset the rocket hub

Hi @victor4,

Thanks for following up!

Did the reset work? Were you able to connect after resetting the hardware? If you continue to experience any issues, please let us know!

RogersShaun

victor4
I plan to stick around

yes the reset did work have had no more trouble  since then

Jadeleaf
I've been around

The data overage consent is poorly executed for Rogers rocket hub customers.  Last month we got cut off at 20gigs with no notice.  The wifi appears to be on, but apps cannot connect so its confusing.  A text to my cell phone or an email would be helpful.  Having to call Rogers  to continue my service is not only infuriating, but a waste of my time and theirs.  After my complaint last month I got two notices from Rogers saying that my problem is fixed.  (ha ha) This month I was cut off at 50gigs.  I checked my Rogers app on my phone (as I do almost daily to keep within our 100gigs for the month), but there was no message.  Again, no text or email.  Might not be such a big deal if this wasn't premium service, but I spend about $145/month for my 100gigs, pay promptly and can't count on Rogers.  As usual, Rogers defends their own interests, making sure that they don't provide anything the CRTC says that I don't have to pay for without consent.  Rocket Hub users should have a separate agreement where they choose their notification level.  I have asked about this and been told that custom notifications are not possible.  I hate to rage at the nice people who pick up the phone when I call to re-set, but I'm so frustrated with this!!!!

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Friends of mine who live in the sticks got a Rogers Rocket Hub as an alternative to dial-up, but the cost for anything more than email was atrocious. If someone sent them a data heavy link they could only view it when visiting a friend with real Internet. They have since found economical alternative Internet access. Keep searching for an alternative.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

wobbletop
I've been here awhile

As an experiment, I went to the approval website listed above BEFORE I got the overage message. That is, just a couple of days into the billing cycle. The site seemed to work. It didn't seem to need to get the overage message before the site was available.

I'm almost done my billing cycle now (a week left) and my internet has not been cut off, and also I didn't need to restart the router. So this may be a workaround for people seeing this problem. 

Just make yourself a calendar event near the start of your billing cycle to go to the approval website and send in the response. Not a complete solution, but at least your internet won't go down when you hit the overage trigger.

The worst part about it is that not all the agents are trained or informed that this is an issue. It takes me no less then an hour of being on hold and having to make multiple calls to them to get it to reset. Agents seem to be dead-set that I went over all my data so it won't work again till next month, or that it is a roaming block that was put on my account so just reset the modem and you will be fine. It is infuriating!

Topic Stats