cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract options for summer settlers

dcjack
I plan to stick around

Our MiFi hotspot worked nicely for us on our August visit to our cabin in northern Ontario. Being on an island, we have no internet access but via wireless. That Rogers hotspot is essential now for our regular trips to Canada.

Trouble is, we're required to pay for the service even during the months when we're not in Canada, and not making any use of the wireless system. In the past, we were able to reduce the contract to a minimal service during our absence, costing us just $10 a month. But Rogers has ended that contract option, so we're facing $80/month charges, during the eight or nine months of the year that we're back in the US. 

So I'm being advised to terminate our Rogers contract for the winter, then sign up for a new service next spring. Is that feasible? I worry that trying to start service from nothing, as if a new customer, will lead to problems. And we just cannot be without our wireless internet access during our times in Canada.

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Contract options for summer settlers

RogersMaude

Hello @dcjack,

Thank you for posting to the Rogers Community. 

I totally understand your desire to save money, while ensuring you'll have access to your device and account to be able to connect to the wireless network next time you come back.

Due to the policy in place for 5G Home Internet customers, the temporary suspension can only be for 185 calendar days maximum. The cost is  $5/mo up to 185 days per calendar year and the services will resume automatically at the end of the suspension.

If you want to set it up for at least 6 months out of the year, in order to keep that subscription active, you can do so by signing in to your MyRogers online profile. Scroll down to the phone number to be suspended and select Manage, then scroll down and select Manage temporary suspension.

Let us know if you have questions!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RogersMaude

Hello @dcjack,

Thank you for posting to the Rogers Community. 

I totally understand your desire to save money, while ensuring you'll have access to your device and account to be able to connect to the wireless network next time you come back.

Due to the policy in place for 5G Home Internet customers, the temporary suspension can only be for 185 calendar days maximum. The cost is  $5/mo up to 185 days per calendar year and the services will resume automatically at the end of the suspension.

If you want to set it up for at least 6 months out of the year, in order to keep that subscription active, you can do so by signing in to your MyRogers online profile. Scroll down to the phone number to be suspended and select Manage, then scroll down and select Manage temporary suspension.

Let us know if you have questions!

RogersMaude

dcjack
I plan to stick around

Well, $5/month for six months is a lot better than $79/month! I'll make this work, thank you!

dcjack
I plan to stick around

OK, I've done it -- suspending service until next March, within the 185-day limit. We usually return to our Ontario cottage in May, when the weather gets warm enough for us soft southern folks!

One adjustment to note: the cost will be $30/month, not $5/month. Still beats paying $80/month during our absence from Canada!

"You’ll be charged a monthly Temporary Suspension Fee of the $30.00/mo. plus taxes."

Thank you for your help -- this will ease the pain of our long absences from Canada!

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 in conversation