cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absurd Cancellation Fees

Very_Unhappy
I've been here awhile

As a customer who used Rogers for over 20 years, I am floored at their careless attitude towards their loyal customers.  Last year, I had an opportunity to sign up with BELL for a much cheaper rate, but signed up with Rogers Wi-Fi instead.  Unfortunately (for me!), I had to cancel their contract after 5 months, as I moved to the US, in Florida, where Rogers can NOT be transferred.  I contacted their customer service, discussed the situation and as they were not able to transfer the account, they cancelled it, and I paid the last month and returned their equipment.  Three months later, I received a bill for $450!!  

I spent hours and hours with their Customer Care and they would waive it, then it would come back, then it was a true amount, then they would overturn.  Last time I spoke with someone last year, they asked me to send the address of my Florida place and actually told me to ignore my bill as it would be fixed in the system and cancelled.  

But, although they committed to that, a few months later, I started receiving calls from collections!  They have ruined my credit, and put this amount on a 42% yearly interest.  
Even the collections company recommended that I spoke with their customer care.  In doing so, Rogers team said that they can no longer interfere and the file went to collection.  Absolutely unbelievable, especially considering that 1) they can NOT transfer the service, 2) there were hours spent on this resolution and then overturned by their back office without ever contacting me, 3) a $450 penalty seems absolutely unreasonable, especially because it was waived by the agent at the time of the cancellation, only to be "served" 3 months later.  

Be aware of Rogers' practices, you are way better off using more honest companies!!!  And cheaper.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Absurd Cancellation Fees

shanyp
I've been here awhile
Same thing happened to me! I signed up for a bundled package 13 months ago. I moved to the US and got a $165 cancelation fee for my internet because it is a contract. You can change your phone plan and cancel it anytime but not your internet. Soo don’t be fooled by the bundle services and it being packaged together because if it’s not one they charge you, it’s the other!

Luceyn
I've been around

Rogers, you are truly unbelievable! I had to “renew” my contract as my two years were up. I’ve been with Rogers for 20+ years so you’d thing that meant something - my new contract gives me absolutely nothing but garbage yet somehow I’m paying more than when I had some decent stations to watch. I just reached out to cancel as who wants to throw away money and Robert was so friendly and happy to tell me no problem and that is $440. Did not even offer another option for me - just disgusting! I’ll be counting the days until my contract is done and be sure to cancel immediately - freaking these companies taking advantage of us- Not cool

Very_Unhappy
I've been here awhile

The funny thing is that I offered them up to 2 months to get this bill cancelled (which would be $180), but their bill to me was $450, which in my opinion is very excessive for a Wi-Fi cancellation.   I would have paid the $165 not to be reported to my credit, which dropped over 100 points in one month.

Hi @Very_Unhappy,

Welcome to the Community!

I can understand how disappointing this experience must've been for you. Please let us know if you still require account assistance.

RogersZia

Very_Unhappy
I've been here awhile
Yes, I probably could use your help to either cancel this bill, considering that you do not offer your services in the US. Perhaps the collection agency would be able to remove their reporting. Thank you

@Very_Unhappy Our Loyalty team is the only dedicated team (available over the phone and live chat) able to cancel services at this time. 

If your services are already cancelled and you just need to go over billing we will be happy to do so for you. Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further.

RogersZia

I've been around

I trying to cancel my rogers services because my cable cant be buried in the backyard because they would have dig up landlord new patio and they want to charge me $ 440 to cancel early that  penalty seems absolutely unreasonable so am guess I stuck with them for 20 more month I count days till I can cancel my contract Rogers is taking advantage of us- Not cool

darbud
I've been here awhile
This is no different them selling water-heaters to unknowing seniors. They found a way to scam you in the open and get away with it.

TyJames4325
I'm here a lot
I had a horrible experience with my cell service and one thing you can do is to broadcast your experience to as many people as you can via social media. The only way to deal with these kinds of predatory business practices is through public pressure and regulation. This is the issue with monopolistic business entities which Rogers def is. I filed a complaint with the CRTC, which you can too. It’s just a form on their website, just look up the category.

Hopefully if everyone organizes and complains enough, maybe it will make a difference and this won’t keep happening to people. Or maybe it’ll be enough of a headache that they’ll choose to give their customers the benefit of the doubt, instead of squeezing them for anything they can.

Good luck! Bell/Telus and Rogers pay heavily to keep their duo-opoly thriving. When the CRTC thinks about intervening, they cry to the CRTC that competion will put Canadian's out of work because they can't afford to compete. It would take nothing short of a revolution to change how the TV, radio. And broadcasting business work in Canada.

Totally agree that it’s a longshot and know it’s a David vs Goliath situation. I feel like we have to do something though. I actually received a detailed response from the CRTC and they agreed to investigate some parts of my complaint further and gave me other parts of the government that might be able to do more about other parts of my issue.

If we just assume it won’t ever change then I guarantee it’ll get worse. You’d be surprised the progress you can achieve with a bit of time and persistence. 

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 8 in conversation