cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixilated picture and garbled sound

Borntoshop
I plan to stick around

This started happening about a week ago on both tvs with 2 different PVRs. The picture is so pixilated and the sound is so garbled, it is impossible to watch. Any shows we have recorded on our PVR work fine. For short periods of time we get good reception but it doesn’t last too long. Luckily reception was good for the Oilers/Vancouver hockey game last night. On Tuesday, we spent almost 2 hours on the phone with tech support with no positive outcome. During the call, the internet went down and we were not able to reboot. To get it to work again, we had to move the modem to another cable outlet.  The tech support said there was nothing more he could do and the only solution is to get ignite. I have been reading different posts and it sounds to me like this is not the answer.  Any ideas? Thanks

Debby

**Labels Added**

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Pixilated picture and garbled sound

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Borntoshop it sounds like you're still running a Hiton modem and Nextboxes.  The modem can be used to check the signal levels, which can also be checked on the Nextboxes.  Since I'm more familiar with the modem, I'll ask you to copy and paste the modem signal levels into a post. 

Log into the modem and navigate to the Docsis Wan tab.  You should see a Downstream Overview, OFDM Downstream Overview (maybe depending on the modem model), Upstream Overview, and OFDMA Overview, (also maybe depending on the modem model).

Place your curser just in front of the Downstream Overview line, hold down the shift key and scroll down and to the right, all the way to bottom right hand cell in the Upstream Overview or OFDMA Overview depending on which one is last.  Stop scrolling when your curser is parked just after the last character of the bottom right hand data cell.  If you have a white Hitron Coda-4582 modem, you should see an OFDMA Overview section.  So, select, or highlight all of the tables in one go, top to bottom.  Then release the shift key and right click, ..... select Copy.  In a new post, right click and select Paste.  You should end up with the data tables pasted into a post, just as they appear in the modem's user interface.  

I'm guessing that you either have external cable issues or a neighbourhood issue.  Unfortunately, Rogers is pushing very hard to switch customers over to the Ignite system, and as a result provide no service to legacy customers who are experiencing external signal issues which are unrelated to the actual equipment in the home.  The front line tech solution is to switch you over to the Ignite system.  The field techs who do the install don't appear to care very much about the signal issues and simply go about installing the Ignite system and then leave as soon as possible.  This isn't always the case, but, it has happened often enough.  There is still probably a self install, but, if you're encountering external signal issues, you really need a tech who will actually pay attention to the inbound signal levels and either fix the situation or call in a Senior tech or Maintenance crew if necessary.  Not all install techs are in the get in, get out mode.  Some actually do a great job.  It appears to be the luck of the draw as to which one you end up with.  

Any idea as to how long your external cable the runs to the local tap has been in place?  And, do you have underground or overhead external cabling?  Those cables don't last forever, and every few years, need replacement, no matter which system is in place, legacy or the newer Comcast designed and built systems.  

So, the signal levels are the starting point for now.  I'm assuming that you're in a house.  In the basement you should see a cable splitter, that has one input and several outputs.  Can you have a look to see how many output ports there are and whether or not there are any unused ports.  Cable splitters drop the signal levels to each device when compared to the original input signal levels.  Thats the nature of the splitter, and when combined with signal losses over the external cable length, you can run into situations where the signal levels aren't high enough to support the modem or Nextboxes.  When that happens its time to check the signal levels and replace the external cable and its connectors.  

Personal opinion, no one should be switched over the Ignite system when there are external cable issues afoot.  That merely compounds the problems as the Ignite system uses a newer signal type which runs on lower signal levels than your existing modem.  At some point you will have to switch, but, it should be done when the cable performance is where it needs to be to fully support the Comcast XBx modems.  

Borntoshop
I plan to stick around

Thank you for your help.
I am in Edmonton Alberta so it is about 11 pm here. I am not very techie. I will ask my husband for help tomorrow. Yes we are in a house and we built and moved into house in January 1993. I think everything is underground. About 5 or more years ago Telus installed fibre optics into our neighbourhood. 
How do I log into the modem and navigate to Docsis Wan tab?  Once I am there, I will try to follow your instructions.

Borntoshop
I plan to stick around

The modem is Hilton- modell name CGNM-2250

Ok, your cable is probably copper RG-6 cable.  That has a solid copper core surrounded by a dielectric, aluminum braid shielding to protect the copper from external electrical noise, and then an external shell.  That cable is used externally and internally.  Assuming that the cable is 20 years old, its probably time that is replaced.  

To log into the modem, start a web browser and type:  192.168.0.1   into the address bar.  Hit the return key and you should end up at the modem's login page.  I'm assuming that the modem is running on its default Gateway mode.  If you have a router running and the modem is running in Bridge mode, the login address changes to:   192.168.100.1

In either case you will need the password to log into the modem.  The user name is:  cusadmin

Here's the Rogers page for the CGNM modems for logging into the modem:

How to Sign Into and Change the Password of Hitron CGN3 Series Modem - Rogers

Here's the page for the other modems:

Sign Into your Modem - Rogers

When you have logged into the modem, you should be able to see the STATUS ..... DOSCIS WAN tab, where you will find the Downstream and Upstream tables.  

The modem password might be the wifi passphrase, unless it was changed at some point.  The default these days is to use the same password (passphrase) to log into the modem and use it as the wifi passphrase. But, the modem password can be changed to something that is different than the wifi passphrase.  

If it turns out that you don't know the modem password, you can always call tech support and have the support rep change the password to something that allows you to log into the modem.  When you're logged into the modem , you can change the modem password to something of your choosing.  I highly recommend doing that if you have to ask tech support to change the password. 

Edit:  note that when I indicated that the cable probably requires replacement, I was referring to the external cable.  In either case, underground or overhead, the external cable only lasts a certain number of years.  Sometimes less, sometimes more, like yours.  Eventually it ends up with water ingress, which shorts out the cable.  Overhead cabling is subject to more weathering than the underground cabling but, eventually either one requires replacement.  Its very simple for the tech to check the underground cabling to determine what shape its in and whether or not it requires replacement.  Beyond the cable and its connectors, the tech would have to check the signal levels at the local pedestal, which you can probably see from your front steps, and then look beyond, to the neighbourhood node.  

Also note that Rogers is upgrading its cable systems, and that sometimes does not go smoothly.  So, that's something to think about as well.  You would need a Senior Tech (real Rogers tech) to determine if this is part of the problem.  The first tech or two that you will encounter are usually contract techs, who have limited knowledge and authority to do much beyond Ignite installations and temporary external cable installations.  After a couple of contract tech visits you can request a Senior tech if the problems aren't resolved.  

But, as I said previously, the hard sell is on to move customers to the Ignite system, so, you're not going to see a tech unless you agree to that move.  

Borntoshop
I plan to stick around
I was able to log in but am not sure what next- can’t see downstream. On the home page on a black bar at the top it says Hilton, Home (highlighted). Status, basic, wireless, Admin, security. Down the right hand side it says Device status, manage wi-fi, connected clients, parental controls, manage Login credentials. What are my next steps?

Borntoshop
I plan to stick around
Where is Docsis Wan tab?

@Borntoshop select the STATUS tab, and within that tab grouping you should see a DOCSIS WAN sub tab from what I remember.  I swapped modems several months ago, now running one of the newer Comcast XB7 modems.  Within that DOCSIS WAN tab you should see a couple of data tables one for the Downstream data signal levels and one for the Upstream data tables.  Those tables are in a vertical format.  They should look like the tables in this post:  

Solved: Re: What are good signal levels - Page 2 - Rogers Community

There are other examples further down that particular page.  In any event, using that table as guide, you could scroll thru the tabs to locate those tables, but, they should be found in the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN subtab.  Hitron normally used the same user interface across numerous models, so, I'm assuming that your modem has the same tabs and same data layout. 

In your case, you might have 24 or 32 downstream channels and probably 4 upstream channels.  It depends on the modem model and I've never run the modem model that you have. 

Borntoshop
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:

@Borntoshop select the STATUS tab, and within that tab grouping you should see a DOCSIS WAN sub tab from what I remember.  I swapped modems several months ago, now running one of the newer Comcast XB7 modems.  Within that DOCSIS WAN tab you should see a couple of data tables one for the Downstream data signal levels and one for the Upstream data tables.  Those tables are in a vertical format.  They should look like the tables in this post:  

Solved: Re: What are good signal levels - Page 2 - Rogers Community

There are other examples further down that particular page.  In any event, using that table as guide, you could scroll thru the tabs to locate those tables, but, they should be found in the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN subtab.  Hitron normally used the same user interface across numerous models, so, I'm assuming that your modem has the same tabs and same data layout. 

In your case, you might have 24 or 32 downstream channels and probably 4 upstream channels.  It depends on the modem model and I've never run the modem model that you have. 

When you click on status, the next page that opens has choices of overview or wireless. If you choose either selection, there is nothing more you can click on. Where do I go?

@Borntoshop 

Have a look at the following pdf file link, specifically page 49:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.midco.com/contentassets/a8faa9563b6b49e5b244ef7418c1b314/hi...

Page 49 from the Coda-4582 Manual shows what the STATUS tab should look like:

Status

Overview System Information Docsis Provisioning Docsis Wan Docsis Event Wireless

Here is the pdf file link to the CGNM-2250 user manual:

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://gditechnology.com/manuals/Hitron-CGNM_2250_User-Guide.pdf&sa=U&v...

Page 47, from the CGNM-2250 manual shows what information is contained in the STATUS .... DOSCIS WAN tab

Now, from what your indicating, that the STATUS tab only has an Overview and Wireless sub-tab, that would lead me to think that Rogers has removed the signal data tab from the modem. Personal opinion, if that's the case, its an incredibly dumb move. That makes it impossible for customers to evaluate the signal performance of the external and internal cabling.

Just for the heck of it, can you take a scroll thru all of the tabs in the user interface to see if the DOCSIS WAN tab has been moved, instead of removed and let me know what you find.

I'll send a message to you as a follow-up. Look for a number overlaying the envelope symbol at the upper right hand corner when you're logged into the forum. Follow that envelope link down to the message inbox. You can reply from the message itself.

Borntoshop
I plan to stick around

I see the page you mentioned in the manual.

when I chose status, I get a page that only gives me 2 choices overview and wireless

under overview, this is all I get

Overview

This menu displays important information of the device

System Overview
Hardware Version1A
Software Version4.5.11.25b3
Gateway Serial Number 
System TimeFri, 10 May 2024 13:10:39 -050
LAN Up Time000 days 17h:56m:44s
WAN Up Time000 days 17h:52m:28s
WAN IP Address 
WAN DNS64.59.184.15, 64.59.190.245
Wireless Overview
SHAW-961860  in service

Broadcast SSIDEnabled
Security ModeWPA2-AES
Security Key 
SHAW-961860-5G  in service

Broadcast SSIDEnabled
Security ModeWPA2-AES
Security Key 
Port BlockingInactiveTrusted PC List
Host NameProtocolPort RangeManaged TimeManaged Weekdays
Device NameIP AddressStatus
Device FilterAllow All
Host NameMAC AddressManaged TimeManaged Weekdays
Keyword FilterInactiveTrusted PC List
KeywordBlocked TimeBlocked Weekdays
Device NameIP AddressStatus

Ok, can you delete the WAN IP address please.  That shouldn't be posted in an open forum.

Were you with Shaw originally?  Your DNS address points to a Shaw IP address.  If so, have you spoken to the Shaw tech support agents instead of the Rogers tech support agents?

Please have a read thru my follow-up message.  Follow the envelope symbol at the upper right hand corner when you're logged into the forum.  That envelope serves as a link to the message inbox. 

Back in a while 🙂

Borntoshop
I plan to stick around

I did remove- my mistake. I saw my password was there and removed that but did not know about the other.

yes we were with Shaw initially. I did not know there is still shaw support

Not a mistake, just a prudent security measure to remove the WAN IP address in order to keep your network safe 🙂

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation