Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harmony Remotes Will No Longer be Manufactured by Logitech

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This has been rumour for a while, but it's now confirmed by Logitech:

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/1500000658341

"While Harmony remotes are and continue to be available through various retailers, moving forward Logitech will no longer manufacture Harmony remotes. 

We expect no impact to our customers by this announcement. We plan to support our Harmony community and new Harmony customers, which includes access to our software and apps to set up and manage your remotes. We also plan to continue to update the platform and add devices to our Harmony database. Customer and warranty support will continue to be offered."

***Added Labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Harmony Remotes Will No Longer be Manufactured by Logitech

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57  Holy 💩!  So what home theatre automation options are still available out there to the "average" person?

Before Harmony remotes came to the market, we had a handful of established brands and products (URC MX series, RTI, Crestron, etc.) that were insanely expensive and technically available only through custom installers... although the URC remotes were (at one point) somewhat available through grey market online resellers.  We also had the Philips Pronto line, and UEI JP1 and Nevo remotes, etc. but the Harmony remotes eventually became the only decent programmable remotes available to the general public.

Cap07
I'm a reliable contributor

These days I'm happily surprised when I turn on my $1200 television and something shows up on screen. Just counting the days until the cable no longer functions and everything is carried via the interweeb so my non-smart TV becomes an expensive wall decoration.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Cap07 wrote:

These days I'm happily surprised when I turn on my $1200 television and something shows up on screen. Just counting the days until the cable no longer functions and everything is carried via the interweeb so my non-smart TV becomes an expensive wall decoration.

If I recall, my first Samsung 50" smart TV was about $1400 and failed after 4 years. The second, a bigger 55" Samsung, was under $1000. Now I can buy one for half that. You can pretty well turn your TV into a smart one with a Roku box or similar. But IPTV is where it's going.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

RRF1
I plan to stick around

Wow ! this will leave a huge hole in the industry.

Hopefully some other company will purchase the Harmony division and keep it going.

Logitech blames IPTV, but that is only a small fraction of the Harmony's device support.

You still have lighting, AVR's, matrix switches, DVD players etc. etc., literally hundreds if not thousands of devices are supported.

DCG1
I plan to stick around
Is Harmony remotes going out of business?

Logitech has discontinued  universal remotes. No new products will be produced, and once existing inventory is gone, it's gone. The brand says it will continue to support existing products as long as customers are using them, but to what degree will be interesting to see.
Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 in conversation