cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Old PVR Need To Be Removed From Account?

kuhnberg
I plan to stick around

I recently switched my TV and Internet to Ignite.  I have an Explorer 8300HD PVR that I used with my previous digital tv service that I'd like to pass along to someone else.  I purchased it retail from Furture Shop.  I own the box, not Rogers.  The person I was going to give it to is telling me that I have to contact Rogers to have it it removed from my account because it is registered to me.  She says she won't/can't do it.  Is this true?  Wouldn't she just have to call to have it authorized when she sets it up?  I'm giving this person a free PVR and she wants me to jump through hoops for her.  🙄  If an Expert can shed some light on this that would be great.  It may be easier just to send it to e recycling.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Does Old PVR Need To Be Removed From Account?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello kuhnberg,

Yes your friend is correct. Any time a set top box is given to a friend or someone else, the serial number must be removed from the account before it can be added to theirs.  This is not difficult to understand.

Thanks for switching to Ignite, Ignite uses a different system than the old legacy cable and you possibly also got a new TV account number even though your consolidated bill may have the same existing account number.

Because of the way how TV accounts work, each has its own system.  Digital cable uses one system to manage your channels and equiptment, just because you migrated does not mean the equiptment gets removed automatically, however the account status might change to closed wen you migrated so its best to call and check to be safe to see if your old equiptment must be removed from your old legacy account before your friend can use it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello kuhnberg,

Yes your friend is correct. Any time a set top box is given to a friend or someone else, the serial number must be removed from the account before it can be added to theirs.  This is not difficult to understand.

Thanks for switching to Ignite, Ignite uses a different system than the old legacy cable and you possibly also got a new TV account number even though your consolidated bill may have the same existing account number.

Because of the way how TV accounts work, each has its own system.  Digital cable uses one system to manage your channels and equiptment, just because you migrated does not mean the equiptment gets removed automatically, however the account status might change to closed wen you migrated so its best to call and check to be safe to see if your old equiptment must be removed from your old legacy account before your friend can use it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kuhnberg wrote:

... The person I was going to give it to is telling me that I have to contact Rogers to have it it removed from my account because it is registered to me.  She says she won't/can't do it.  Is this true? 

Rogers doesn't know if the PVR has been stolen, therefore you must deactivate it from your account first, as stated by @Pauly :  The details of buying/selling of boxes are outlined in the following post:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/guidelines-for-selling-and-buying-a-used-rogers-terminal-in-ontar...

You can probably PM the mods on this forum to deactivate the box, by clicking @CommunityHelps and sending them a message.  You may need to go back and forth a few times with account information.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Think about it for a sec, If your friend was able to call rogers and register the box on her account and remove it from yours WITHOUT YOUR PRIOR CONCENT wouldn't that raise some serious issues with you?   Cancelled accounts still have the boxes tied to them so it does not automatically mean the boxes are free for all and anyone can do what ever they want with them, you are the owner so you must give up permission to make someone else the owner, this is what we and your friend have been saying all along

kuhnberg
I plan to stick around

@Pauly   Yes, I understand.  I'm relatively tech savy and not an idiot. I do, however, not know how Rogers manages accounts.  I got the impression that the old PVR would have been deleted from my account upon cancellation from other posts on this forum.  That is the information I was going on when I posed my question.  Anyway, I wasted over 2 hours of my day waiting for a 2 minute conversation to remove the PVR from my account.  So, this matter is closed.  

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hooray glad to hear you solved it.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 3 in conversation