cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel 49 - BET (Black Entertainment Television)

Kris_
I've been around
The networks name speaks for itself. With the globalization of diversity and community building there are a lot of people including myself that is disappointed that Rogers no longer has this channel for their customers/viewers.
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Channel 49 - BET (Black Entertainment Television)

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

I notice it too, it's sad, and yet again, with this removal I didn't get a Flex channel replacement, since I was subscribe to it with a Flex.

Also when I tried to access the TV page on my account, the page keep refreshing every seconds, it was hard to open the Flex page.

tj41
I've been around

This is very disappointing. BET has been on Rogers for 25 years and now it has been dropped. I called customer service and complained but that did nothing. I tried seeing if BET could be streamed online but that service is not available in Canada. Apparently Bell offers BET so I'm thinking of switching.

Samzulu
I've been here awhile
I am thinking the same. On the phone with Bell now. Can’t even use the Flex page as it gives me error after error.

Samzulu
I've been here awhile
The Flex page doesn’t work for me either.. so frustrating.

Samzulu
I've been here awhile
Just got off the phone with Bell and was told BET is not available with them either .

6rose
I've been around
Personally I find it disrepectful due to the large customer base that thoroughly enjoy b.e.t it should never have been done. I will definitely be canceling my subscription with rogers

SB-3
I've been around

they first took peachtreeTV and now BET. There is nolong a channel to that targeted for the black community. Rogers talks about providing good service, but they have failed yet again.

Sunshine2022
I'm here a lot
I find it outrageous and disappointing that Rogers is no longer BET channel. I have checked with someone who has Bell Fibe TV and he is still getting it as part of his Flex channels. I have also checked to see if Rogers is still offering other US TV channels and they are. Why is it that the only US TV channel that has 100% Black content has been cut? Is this some sort of discrimination against Blacks? Does Rogers realize how much revenue that they would lose if all of its Black customers cancelled their services with Rogers? Something needs to be done. I don't know if it would help if we all sent letters to their Head Office to voiced how we feel. However, I am going to try. I don't know if something will be done but more complaints might reverse their action.

Rogers will not share the rationale behind any of their business decisions.  Most of the time, whenever a channel is removed from the line-up, it is due to either low viewership, the channel itself shutting down, or when negotiations between Rogers and the rights-holder(s) break down, they cannot agree on terms when renewing a license for the channel, and Rogers decides to drop the channel.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For those of you who subscribed to BET, you may find that you now either have one-fewer Flex Channels or that you get an error when you try to exchange your Flex Channels.  This happens when you are still technically subscribed to a channel but the channel has been removed from the lineup.  The only way (that I know of) to fix this is to contact Rogers Tech Support (or send a PM to @CommunityHelps ) and ask them to swap out BET (and any other defunct channels) and replace it with a different Flex Channel.

To see which channels have been removed from the lineup, go to: https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/channel-updates

We also discuss changes to Ignite TV packages here: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Changes-to-Ignite-TV-Channels-in-Packages-and-Theme-...

I was told by one of the reps that the latter is the case that there was a breakdown in negotiations.

@Sunshine2022 wrote:
I was told by one of the reps that the latter is the case that there was a breakdown in negotiations.

A similar situation happened a few years ago with AMC.  After talks broke down, Rogers dropped the channel... then negotiations resumed, they reached a deal, and the channel returned to the lineup.

I was told that Rogers will try to resume negotiations and there is a possibility that it might come back. This is the reason that I am sending a letter off to one of the top executives at Head Office.

Babylegs1
I plan to stick around

channels come and channels go

that's life

MarcelR
I've been here awhile
I am really upset that BET is no longer offered with Rogers. That channel was the ONLY reason that I subscribed to the Premier package. No that it is not offered, I have no reason to subscribe to their cable services at all.

If Bell Fibe still offers BET, I will be cancelling my Rofees services and switching.

MarcelR
I've been here awhile
Please let us know who to direct a letter to as well. The black community needs to stand up for this otherwise it will be pushed under the carpet like we don't exist.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MarcelR wrote:
Please let us know who to direct a letter to as well. The black community needs to stand up for this otherwise it will be pushed under the carpet like we don't exist.

You can find contact details on Rogers' "Share a Concern" page: https://www.rogers.com/contact/share-a-concern/

Good luck getting your favourite channel back.  However, dropping any channel is purely a business decision.  Earlier this year, Rogers also removed Paramount from their lineup, and according to the BET Wikipedia page, they are owned by Paramount Global.  I suspect that dropping both channels was done as a negotiating tactic, and we might eventually see both BET and Paramount return to the lineup.  However, if the carrying costs are too high, Rogers may not be able to offer either "for free" as a Flex Channel and might only be able to offer them as individual channel subscriptions.  The channel owner would also prefer that you access their content through their own streaming services.

Ace1988
I've been around
That a lie bell has bet

It is not a lie. Bell has BET as part of its Flex Channels. I know someone that has Fibe TV and they do have BET.

Sunshine2022
I'm here a lot
I sent my letter off to one of the top executives at Rogers last week and today someone from his office left me a message saying that he was calling about my letter. I really have to give them credit for the quick response. Tomorrow I will call back the number that he left for me to call.
Topic Stats