cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized Credit Inquiries from Rogers

Mmonette
I've been here awhile

Hello, I've been a Rogers customer for many years and decided to try posting here to get help after spending a lot of time calling various rogers numbers for help.

On Friday, January 24th I received an email from TransUnion that there were new changes to my credit report. I am signed up with TransUnion trough ScotiBanks credit report service, but this was the first time I had received this kind of email and at first thought it was just spam. I went and checkout the CreditView page on my ScotiaBank account and there were 2 new alerts for Credit Inquiry for January 23rd. I called Rogers on the 24th, I have both a small business account and a personal one. The Business rep I talk too wasn't much help, he just said that he didn't see anything on my account. The personal account rep also didn't find anything weird on my account, she said I should talk with the fraud department and transferred me over. The fraud department number went to a voicemail and I left them a message, they never called me back.

After spending all that time with rogers I decided to call TransUnion and see if they could help. The person I talk to did confirm the new credit inquiries and put a fraud alert on my account, they recommended that I call Equifax and do the same which I did.

I was hoping that would be the end of this, but on the 25th I had 2 new credit inquiries from Rogers and this morning I received 2 more alerts for changes to my credit report. When I check these new alerts were dated the 27th, The first one is listed as a NewTrade and the second one New Phone Number with the number listed.

I called Rogers again this morning and was given the phone number for the Fraud Department, it again went to voicemail. I left them a detailed message and now waiting to see if they will get back to me.

Has anyone else had this same problem?

**Labels Added**

44 REPLIES 44

Re: Unauthorized Credit Inquiries from Rogers

RogersYasmine

Hello @Mmonette,

We appreciate you sharing your recent concerns with us in the Rogers Community Forums and allowing us the opportunity to weigh-in on the situation! 

This type of scenario is very troubling indeed.😟 Normally, we would only check on a customer's credit rating if we are attempting to set up a new service, and this is only done upon a customer's request. Is there anyone you know that has access to your personal information or to your Rogers account that would do something of this sort?

You may want to also consider placing a report with your local authorities for added security.

In the meantime, we'd love to review your account details and hopefully, we can find more information about what is going on. We can also submit a case to our Fraud department if needed and one of our fraud analysts can investigate as well. Please note that leaving a message for our Fraud department when a case has not yet been opened may not yield any results.

Please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Thank you,

RogersYasmine

_mandiee_
I've been here awhile

On the Transunion website you can pull your consumer disclosure for free every 30 days, it has more information then you see on your actual credit report. I've had an account for 8 years and found out Roger's was still pulling my credit file and have more than a handful of times since April 2018 all of which were done when I hadn't contacted them for some time. I've called about it repeatedly and every single . time get told nobody knows what I'm talking about and there's nothing in the system basically a "ghost" did it. I'm a former employee and know the system well so I know that's not a valid response I finished my complaint to the Privacy commissioner so just need to attach the documentation I have to prove they've pulled it and file

Good evening @_mandiee_,

Thanks for your post! Nowadays, monitoring your credit history and score is essential! I can understand your concern regarding the unexplained activity.

In order to further assist you with regards to this matter, we would need access to your account. If you want us to review your Rogers history and to help identify what could have caused this, please send us a private message @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog.

We're hoping we can help you get you peace of mind!

RogersMaude

Hi @RogersYasmine

I have a similar problem but only noticing it a bit late. My credit rating was checked - I did set up a new service at the time - but I never requested for a credit inquiry to occur. You mentioned it only occurs at the customer's request. There is also no one I know of that would do this on my behalf. How should I proceed forward or who can I talk to.

Good day @therese1,

Welcome to the Rogers Community! I can understand that seeing a credit check was performed on your record can be concerning if you don't know why it was done.

For account activations, we proceed with a regular credit check, as well as an internal credit check which is taking a look at any account you had with us before (all companies under Rogers). The credit check is mandatory for the creation of a new account and the request to activate a new service does imply a verification of your credit on our end. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

khansu
I've been around

I've experienced something very similar. I was a Fido customer but had to move to Rogers due to COVID-19 situation and get access to more data in order to work from home. We had just moved and could not get our original provider to install internet. When I went to the store, the CS person told me there would be no hard pull since I was already a Fido customer in good standing. A couple of days later, I got an email from Transunion that there were changes to my credit score. I logged into my Transunion account and saw that Rogers had pulled an inquiry again and my score dropped. Why is there no mechanism to check standing across your companies and how can I remove this inquiry that has caused my score to drop. There is no way to get in touch with Rogers on the phone. 

Hello @khansu,

A warm welcome to you, and thanks for posting your concerns in the Rogers Community Forums! 👍

After reading your message, I can understand why you'd be concerned. Typically speaking, when you are already a Fido customer and looking to activate a new Rogers wireless account under the very same customer profile, we should not process an external credit evaluation during the set-up process. There are quite a few different variables to how and when we process an external versus internal credit evaluation, so it would be best that we review your account details to know for sure what transpired here.

If possible, please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Thank you kindly,

RogersLaura

imoayedi
I've been around

Hello, unfortunately It is happening again to me and this time I have decided to post this and if possible do serious follow up on this repeated blunder by Rogers. I've been a Rogers customer for many years, both business and personal services, and decided to post here expressing my frustration to get help after spending a lot of time last time the same incident happened to me and nothing took any responsibility. 

On Friday, June 26 I received an email from Credit Karma that there were new changes to my credit report. I went and checkout the CreditView page on my credit Karma account and there was a new alerts for Credit Inquiry for June 25th. This happened without I even adding a service and making any changes to the account. This was not new to me as I had experienced the same issue in September 2019. Back then I called Rogers for two consecutive days as I was mad at what was done by Rogers which reduced my score substantially. The Business reps I talked too wasn't much help, she just said that they are sorry for what has happened and that she is going to escalate it to the higher level and that they should be calling me to follow up on that. Unfortunately NO ONE called for that reason and if there was a call it was to follow up on a late payment.  

I was hoping that would be the end of this, but this happening again yesterday has driven me crazy and I would like to have someone from Rogers top take responsibility for what has happened for the third time. This time I have not even bothered to call as I know what I will be expecting. 

Has anyone else had this same problem? Who should be responsible for this fraud?

Hey @imoayedi!

Welcome to the community!

I can wholeheartedly appreciate the concern here! I'd personally be reaching out ASAP if I saw any unnecessary credit checks for suuure. We can definitely get the ball rolling with an investigation check on this for you. To do so please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Looking forward to getting to the bottom of this for you. 

@RogersAndy

Elochai
I plan to stick around

Just had this very thing happen to me. I been with Rogers for years, have never missed a payment, and haven't change my plan or asked about any services. Matter a fact I paid my bill yesterday.

Today I got 2 Credit Alerts from TransUnion. One is a New Trade and the other is a New Phone Number. Both of which where done by ROGERS COMMUNICATIONS CA.

So why is Rogers messing with my account and doing credit checks on me, and a New Trade worries me as well, are you guys setting up a service in my name that I didn't ask for ?

Mmonette
I've been here awhile
This is the same thing that happened to me. It turned out it was someone who had stolen my info from somewhere. I ended up putting a fraud alert on my credit report and Rogers Fraud Department eventually got back to me and told me I was the victim of fraud. Not long ago I got an email from Desjardins saying that they were offering me free credit monitoring because I had been part of their data breach. So now I’m guessing that’s where they got my info. Don’t understand why it took half a year to get that email from them.

Elochai
I plan to stick around

Wow, I had the same email as offering me free credit monitoring because they mishandled my information.

I get credit reports by TransUnion through my bank. So how did you report it to TransUnion ?

Mmonette
I've been here awhile
If you haven’t already done so, call Rogers and get transferred to their fraud department. It will probably go to voicemail, just leave a message about what is going on. When this happened to me Rogers customers service didn’t know what was going on because it didn’t show up in their system. Took 2 calls before Fraud got back to me. But ASAP call TransUnion and Equifax and get them to put a fraud alert on your account. They will also I believe start an investigation on the fraudulent activity. When you hear back with confirmation from Rogers that it’s fraud, you can also file a report online with the Canadian Anti-Fraud Center and your local police department (But unless you lost money they won’t investigate).

Elochai
I plan to stick around

On hold now with Rogers, Yeah rogers support doesn't seem to know much of anything. Got put through 3 reps claiming the next person deals with this stuff. The last rep finally gave me a number for fraud team; but when asked for a number in case fraud team can't help me for someone higher up or in corporate. She said, sorry you'll have to call fraud and see if they can handle it. Then ended the chat on me.

Rogers customer support needs a over haul on how to treat customers.

As for lost of money, did that happen to you ? Why did they do these inquires to your credit account ? Like was someone trying to setup new services or something else with the information Rogers had leaked ?

Mmonette
I've been here awhile
Well hopefully like my case, Rogers will discover that this new account is fraudulent and will close it. They did the inquiries because someone with your info called Rogers or went to a Rogers store and opened an account with your info. And if it’s like my case where is didn’t loose any money the police won’t do anything. They’ll take the info and file it away.

Now by putting a fraud alert on your credit, that means any company that wants to do a credit inquiry has to call your phone number to confirm it’s you.

Elochai
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the info Mmonette. You been very helpful.

I just talked to fraud team after a 45 min wait. I was told no accounts had been opened in my name yet from what they can see and to call TransUnion and Equifax to report it as fraud and to put a block on my accounts. So the joys of trying to get ahold now of them two tomorrow.

aamirraihan
I've been around

I have been a Roger customer for about a year and I recently found out my credit score dropped due to an unauthorized credit inquiry done by Roger. I would like to know why Roger has performed the unauthorized credit inquiry? If it was related to the late bill payment they could have just sent me email or call about the bill payment rather than doing a credit inquiry which is going to last on my credit statement for 6 years. I am really disappointed with Roger and am really considering moving to different providers.

Good evening @aamirraihan,

Thanks for joining the Rogers Community and thanks for your post! Normally, we would only check  a customer's credit rating if we are attempting to set up a new service, and this is only done upon a customer's request.

Did you verify whether the credit check was done at the time of your activation or afterwards? Is there anyone you know that would have had access to your Rogers account that would do something of this sort?

In the meantime, we'd love to access your account details to hopefully find more information about what happened. If you want us to review your Rogers history and to help identify what could have caused this, please send us a private message @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog.

We're hoping we can help put your mind at ease!

RogersMaude

Samohm1
I've been around

This happened to me too on sept 29 2020. I called rogers and opened a case with the fraud department ,  a few days later I got a call from the fraud department telling me that this is outside the scope of their department and that I should file a dispute with the credit report companies !!!! what !!!!

Hey @Samohm1,

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thank you for your post! I'm sorry to hear you've had a negative customer experience. Do you remember providing two pieces of ID at the time of the activation? Usually, a credit check is performed at the time of activation and is done upon customer's request.

Did you check to see whether the September 29th alert was actually the date Rogers would have ran a credit check and not the date on which you were notified?

A fraud case would be triggered by an account takeover or a fraudulent activation of services under your name. We could certainly help you shed some light on this if you have any more questions.

If you want us to review your Rogers account  to help identify what could have caused this, please send us a private message @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog. Thanks!

RogersMaude

Topic Stats