Unauthorized Credit Inquiries from Rogers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elochai
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Unauthorized Credit Inquiries from Rogers

Just had this very thing happen to me. I been with Rogers for years, have never missed a payment, and haven't change my plan or asked about any services. Matter a fact I paid my bill yesterday.

Today I got 2 Credit Alerts from TransUnion. One is a New Trade and the other is a New Phone Number. Both of which where done by ROGERS COMMUNICATIONS CA.

So why is Rogers messing with my account and doing credit checks on me, and a New Trade worries me as well, are you guys setting up a service in my name that I didn't ask for ?

Mmonette
I've Been Here Awhile

This is the same thing that happened to me. It turned out it was someone who had stolen my info from somewhere. I ended up putting a fraud alert on my credit report and Rogers Fraud Department eventually got back to me and told me I was the victim of fraud. Not long ago I got an email from Desjardins saying that they were offering me free credit monitoring because I had been part of their data breach. So now I’m guessing that’s where they got my info. Don’t understand why it took half a year to get that email from them.
Elochai
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow, I had the same email as offering me free credit monitoring because they mishandled my information.

I get credit reports by TransUnion through my bank. So how did you report it to TransUnion ?

Mmonette
I've Been Here Awhile

If you haven’t already done so, call Rogers and get transferred to their fraud department. It will probably go to voicemail, just leave a message about what is going on. When this happened to me Rogers customers service didn’t know what was going on because it didn’t show up in their system. Took 2 calls before Fraud got back to me. But ASAP call TransUnion and Equifax and get them to put a fraud alert on your account. They will also I believe start an investigation on the fraudulent activity. When you hear back with confirmation from Rogers that it’s fraud, you can also file a report online with the Canadian Anti-Fraud Center and your local police department (But unless you lost money they won’t investigate).
Elochai
I Plan to Stick Around

On hold now with Rogers, Yeah rogers support doesn't seem to know much of anything. Got put through 3 reps claiming the next person deals with this stuff. The last rep finally gave me a number for fraud team; but when asked for a number in case fraud team can't help me for someone higher up or in corporate. She said, sorry you'll have to call fraud and see if they can handle it. Then ended the chat on me.

Rogers customer support needs a over haul on how to treat customers.

As for lost of money, did that happen to you ? Why did they do these inquires to your credit account ? Like was someone trying to setup new services or something else with the information Rogers had leaked ?

Mmonette
I've Been Here Awhile

Well hopefully like my case, Rogers will discover that this new account is fraudulent and will close it. They did the inquiries because someone with your info called Rogers or went to a Rogers store and opened an account with your info. And if it’s like my case where is didn’t loose any money the police won’t do anything. They’ll take the info and file it away.

Now by putting a fraud alert on your credit, that means any company that wants to do a credit inquiry has to call your phone number to confirm it’s you.
Elochai
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the info Mmonette. You been very helpful.

I just talked to fraud team after a 45 min wait. I was told no accounts had been opened in my name yet from what they can see and to call TransUnion and Equifax to report it as fraud and to put a block on my accounts. So the joys of trying to get ahold now of them two tomorrow.

aamirraihan
I've Been Around

I have been a Roger customer for about a year and I recently found out my credit score dropped due to an unauthorized credit inquiry done by Roger. I would like to know why Roger has performed the unauthorized credit inquiry? If it was related to the late bill payment they could have just sent me email or call about the bill payment rather than doing a credit inquiry which is going to last on my credit statement for 6 years. I am really disappointed with Roger and am really considering moving to different providers.

RogersMaude

Good evening @aamirraihan,

Thanks for joining the Rogers Community and thanks for your post! Normally, we would only check  a customer's credit rating if we are attempting to set up a new service, and this is only done upon a customer's request.

Did you verify whether the credit check was done at the time of your activation or afterwards? Is there anyone you know that would have had access to your Rogers account that would do something of this sort?

In the meantime, we'd love to access your account details to hopefully find more information about what happened. If you want us to review your Rogers history and to help identify what could have caused this, please send us a private message @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog.

We're hoping we can help put your mind at ease!

RogersMaude

Samohm1
I've Been Around

This happened to me too on sept 29 2020. I called rogers and opened a case with the fraud department ,  a few days later I got a call from the fraud department telling me that this is outside the scope of their department and that I should file a dispute with the credit report companies !!!! what !!!!