cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Alert - Getting Call from 1-888-764-3771

EeJaaz
I've been around

Getting a call from a number that seems to be Spoofed to be a rogers number "1-888-764-3771", offering a too good deal to be true and trying to ask for personal information to place an order. He clearly doesn't have any information on file and will try to get it out of you. DO NOT SHARE any information, they should already have it on file if they are valid Rogers Agent. Stay Alert.

**Added Labels**

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Spam Alert - Getting Call from 1-888-764-3771

RogersYasmine

Hello @EeJaaz ,

Welcome to the community! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and make others aware of possible scams that are out there.

For those who are interested, you may also check out this helpful blog which explains how to protect yourself from phishing, vishing and smishing attempts, and how to report suspicious incidents:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Blog/Protecting-Yourself-Against-Fraud/ba-p/505305

Stay safe!

RogersYasmine

Ultraman88
I've been around

Just received a call from "1-888-764-3771" showing Rogers on my Caller ID speaking Mandarin. He said he wanted to confirm information on a cellular number activated in July. He knew my full name and asked me to confirm it. I did not answer it. I was trying to ask him more information; but he hang up. 

Good day @Ultraman88,

Thank you for your post! 

While 1-888-764-3771 is a standard phone number from Rogers, the fact that they reached out to you in Mandarin and was looking to validate some information can certainly raise concerns.

Please feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can take a deeper look into this, if need be. 

For more information on how our private messaging system, click here

RogersMaude

Arlene31
I've been around
I just called 611 which is supposed to be tech support Rogers. 36 minutes wait was girl with India accent . I thanked for a Sunday support call. Did not have my number though I entered it. Unable to understand my problem and asked me to wait while she contacted tech support. My call was dropped. She called back using "1-888-764-3771".
Asked me to hang on while checking tech support. I asked to leave to answer the door and she freaked. I hung up blocked number, blacklisted text and 611 changed password . Clearly this was attempt to grab my info. CAREFUL!!!

HOW DO WE KNOW A LEGITIMATE COMMUNICATION FROM ROGERS??

Hello, @Arlene31.

We appreciate you joining this conversation and sharing your recent experience.

The person who called you back after your tech call was dropped should continue the tech support and not ask you further account-related questions. We will never ask you for sensitive information like your password, credit card details, PIN, etc. You can check the below support articles to learn more about your account protection:

How to Protect Yourself from Caller ID Spoofing and Spam Calls

How to Spot a Telemarketing Scam

Thank you for being vigilant.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

btk467
I've been around

Just got it too. 
Scary, I was considering switching from Rogers to Bell and receiving a call from Rogers was not alarming  at all.
Almost got to the point when they asked my Social insurance Number or Health card or Driver license because they could not identify me. 
I 've asked them to provide the rogers id number and asked them to call me back in 30 minutes.
I will be surprised if they will call back.

Just in case, I removed my autopay credit card.

Similar situation: knew my name, but first thing she did was ask for my email address.  When I said "you called me, I am not giving any information until I know who you are and why you are calling", she rudely said "fine you call us back" and hung up.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 in conversation