cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM calls after switching from postpaid to PAY as You Go - Coincidence?

JB321
I'm here a lot

There is something that keeps bogging me. I have cell phone service with a Rogers subsidiary (Petro-Canada Wireless), because I only use my phone for emergency call, therefore I switched from regular basic (talk and text) plan to Pay as you go. The reason for the switch  is that I have been paying for months without really making or receiving a single call or send/receive a single text. One thing I have noticed is that moment after switching to PAY as you go I started receiving a lot of SPAM phone calls, text messages on a daily basis, therefore causing me to pay for minutes that I haven't used. Since I never answered these calls the SPAMer left long voicemail message, which automatically trigger Rogers to send me a SMS to let me know that I have a voicemail. So for each of these SPAM calls, I received a SMS that costs me 15c, plus the length in minutes  (35c/minute) of that message, plus the time it took me to listen to that message.

In order to verify that was not a coincidence, I switched back to regular basic plan for 2 months, and did not received a single SPAM calls. I repeat the process again last Saturday, then since yesterday I received 2 of these calls. Is anyone experiencing the same thing?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SPAM calls after switching from postpaid to PAY as You Go - Coincidence?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here are my comments and questions.

1. Did you have the same phone number during this whole time?  If so, that is indeed strange.

2. Some providers/plans may have different types of spam phone call protection (algorithms). Perhaps that explains the difference?

3. I'm on PAYGo, and as soon as I started receiving spam phone calls (about 10 years ago) I removed the voicemail option, so I don't have to pay for calls to/from voicemail, or notifications, etc.  I still get call display so if there's someone I know who called, I can call them back.

4. I also use my phone only for emergencies.

5. If you get spam texts, forward them to 7726 (spam) and the caller will get blocked by Rogers.

6. If I receive more than a certain number of spam texts per month, I will call Rogers and ask for a credit for these texts. They always oblige.  I usually have to call Rogers once a year for one reason or another, so while making that call I mention the spam texts and get credit.  If there are not many, I don't bother and simply "eat" the charges.  I'm on the grandfathered AnyTime plan which rolls over my monthly balance so that may not mean anything to you if you're not on that, or similar, rollover plan.

Contacting Rogers PAYGo - process outlined in the link below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Can-t-purchase-data-pass/m-p/426891#M22822

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JB321
I'm here a lot

Example: I received a call from a number spoofed as Hydro Ottawa, and the caller is a woman leaving me a message saying that she is calling on behalf of Hydro Ottawa and left me a long rambling message. In her message she said she is calling regarding account associated with the property at address ##$$%% that is not mine. I have checked with Hydro Ottawa customer service and they told me that they never call customers unless there is a scheduled service maintenance requested by the customer.

I have called Petro-Canada customer service explaining them that situation and asking them whether they had anything to do with these calls, they told me no. I have proven that there is a direct correlation between these SPAM calls and the PAY as you go service. May this service caused my phone # to be more available to Spammers, This is really starting to get on my nerve.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here are my comments and questions.

1. Did you have the same phone number during this whole time?  If so, that is indeed strange.

2. Some providers/plans may have different types of spam phone call protection (algorithms). Perhaps that explains the difference?

3. I'm on PAYGo, and as soon as I started receiving spam phone calls (about 10 years ago) I removed the voicemail option, so I don't have to pay for calls to/from voicemail, or notifications, etc.  I still get call display so if there's someone I know who called, I can call them back.

4. I also use my phone only for emergencies.

5. If you get spam texts, forward them to 7726 (spam) and the caller will get blocked by Rogers.

6. If I receive more than a certain number of spam texts per month, I will call Rogers and ask for a credit for these texts. They always oblige.  I usually have to call Rogers once a year for one reason or another, so while making that call I mention the spam texts and get credit.  If there are not many, I don't bother and simply "eat" the charges.  I'm on the grandfathered AnyTime plan which rolls over my monthly balance so that may not mean anything to you if you're not on that, or similar, rollover plan.

Contacting Rogers PAYGo - process outlined in the link below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Can-t-purchase-data-pass/m-p/426891#M22822

JB321
I'm here a lot

1. Yes, I have that phone number for more than 10 years, and only my banking/financial, government, utility institutions are aware of this number. I ported it over from Rogers to that new service. I have been with that new service for about 2 years now.

2. That makes sense. I have asked Petro-Canada a somewhat similar question, but they told me no since they only check outgoing numbers and not incoming numbers. I have a feeling that's what happening.

I will ask them to disable the voicemail.

Thanks for the reply.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@JB321I'm on the same grandfathered plan as @57 and renew on a yearly basis, using $100 from my balance if it's high enough. The first thing I did was cancel voicemail because it would use up air time more than actual calls. All of his advice is good.  Due to the small number of hours my phone is on (I only turn it on and take it with me when I leave the house) I get very few nuisance calls and they go unanswered. I also forward spam texts to 7726 and keep track of them. When I renew I tell the agent how many spam texts I got and get credited for them.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I agree with 57, its probably a different algorithm used by the MVNO vs the carrier, secondly, even if you have a Brand Spanking New Virgin number never issued before, you are still susceptible to getting spam and nuisance texts and calls, spammers use whats called an Auto Dialer and will dial or text Every possible telephone number combination so yes they will eventually target your new number you never gave out to anybody, not sure why people are always shocked or surprised by this?

JB321
I'm here a lot

My issue with this is that there seems to be an intent from the provider to facilitate these SPAM calls in order to profit; knowing that people who use the pay as you go service are not heavy users. For example, I can go for months without having the need to call anyone or for anyone to call me. I don't text.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't believe there is anything clandestine about Rogers PAYGo. It's just that different  providers have different algorithms/methods for dealing with spam calls and texts.  It is certainly possible that some plans may be better at spam filtering than others, but providers also need to be very careful with their algorithms that they don''t block a legitimate number, because unlike sending an e-mail to a spam folder, if a legitimate call doesn't go through, then it's a bigger issue.

Here's an interesting thread about how Shaw Home Phone has developed a method to block spam and/or send it to voicemail, etc.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/196-shaw-high-speed-internet-home-phone/288193-shaw-home-phone-spam...

It's optional and must be activated by the user.

JB321
I'm here a lot

I am sorry but I am starting to believe that there is. I followed the advice that you guys gave me here and had them disabled my voicemail. Since SPAMS have consumed my balance, then I went yesterday and top up my account for the equivalent of 6 months, since yesterday I keep receiving SPAM SMS from different 5 digit numbers. So now because my voicemail is deactivated, then now SPAM SMS is being used to consume the balance of my account.

I do not think this is a coincidence, people are greedy. The most they have the greedier they are

JB321
I'm here a lot

Every SMS was from a different 5 digits number. I think I have no other choice to cancel the service. This is unacceptable.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation