cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay as you go - improper data charges

mjm2
I plan to stick around

Highly recommend to all PAY AS YOU GO customers to check data usage via online statement.  Rogers IT currently working on issue where data charges begin before 250MB limit reached.  Issue occurred twice in last 6 months for me- credit received for improper charges after calling Pay as you go support  (1-800-575-9090 and speaking with rep). Issue reported to Rogers Ombudsman.

***Edited Labels***

26 REPLIES 26

Re: Pay as you go - improper data charges

RogersMaude

Good evening @mjm2,

Thank you for your post & Welcome to the Rogers Community!

I'm sorry to hear about your poor experience, I can most definitely understand the inconveniences this may have caused. 

While I am unable to provide you with the explanation as to why the charges were billed this way, I'm glad you took the time to let us know they were credited.

We've reached out to the team in charge, in order to obtain further information on this, and we'll update this thread when we can. Thank you for your patience and understanding. 

RogersMaude

mjm2
I plan to stick around

Still waiting for a response from rogers on this issue.   No indication that Rogers is actually working on this matter. 

Hi @mjm2

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums!

We will definitely follow up and provide an update on this thread as soon as we get one.  

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

RogersPrasana

mjm2
I plan to stick around

The issue still has not been resolved as at Dec 8 2017

mjm2
I plan to stick around

The issue still has not been resolved as at December 14 2017

mjm2
I plan to stick around

The issue has still not been resolved as of Dec 20, 2017

Good day @mjm2,

We appreciate the updates provided to the thread.

I am hoping that the issue has been addressed since you last posted.

On your original post, dated November 25th, you mentioned having escalated the problem to the attention of the Ombudsman. This should have resulted in a call back or an email correspondence of sort.

Were you contacted back since?

If you had not dealt with the Office of the President prior to escalating to the Ombudsman, it's possible that an advisor from their team contacts you first.

Please accept my apologies from the Community Forums team. We wish we would have been able to help you out further regarding this issue. However, we have limited access to Prepaid accounts and billing.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

RogersMaude

mjm2
I plan to stick around

I have indeed brought this up to the attention of the Ombudsman but this has proven to be a waste of time.  The most I got out of the Ombudsman is that Rogers is looking into this matter.

I have also escalated this issue further to the CCTS (Complaints for Telecommunications Services) but they have responded that this type of complaint is not part of their mandate.  They deemed that since I was able to "catch" Rogers overbilling me and that Rogers reimbursed me, they deem the matter to be closed.  They have no mandate to look into the possibility of other Rogers customers being overcharged for this same issue. 

My ask remains the same:

Rogers needs to fix the issue with their billing system
Rogers needs to determine how long the issue has been in place and determine appropriate compensation for each customer
Rogers needs to determine whether this issue affects other cell phone plans
Rogers needs to contact all Pay as you go customers directly and credit their accounts accordingly
Rogers needs to issue a public apology and inform individuals who are no longer customers how to proceed in order to claim
refund
CRTC/Industry Canada or other regulatory body needs to assess situation and fine Rogers for unethical business conduct.

I have serious doubt that any of the above will ever happen !!!

mjm2
I plan to stick around

Got a message from the "office of the president" today.  

Rogers still has not found a resolution to this issue.

Attention Pay as you go customers - make sure you question ALL data charges !!!

Unacceptable !!!

mjm2
I plan to stick around

Confirmed today with Rogers Pay as you go Support that the problem is still occurring.  My plan has 250MB of minutes per month but Rogers started to charge me after only using about 70MB in last month.  I wonder how many other Rogers customers are unknowingly just paying the charges.

annan21
I've been here awhile
I have the exact same issue. I just noticed today that Rogers started to charge my son's phone number for data after 70 MB. He is also in the 250 MB add on. He has his phone cut off his data at 250 MB. This has heppened several times before, however all his usage was not previously available to see on Rogers usage page. THIS time, one week into the cycle, everything is still on the page from the renewal date. It is ridiculous that after all this time a rogers still has not fixed it. Now with three weeks to go he is already getting charged for usage. Also, the ability to track your usage on Paygo is atrocious, it is impossible to track a month since the page only holds so many entries.

mjm2
I plan to stick around

Fully agree with your comments.   Recommend you print the statement on a regular basis (like every 20 days) to keep record of transactions. I've also made this comment to Rogers but to no avail.

I figure Rogers is making a fortune on this technical problem and so the last time it happened, I demanded three free months of free cell service  - they obliged without much of a fuss.  Makes you think that perhaps they know exactly what they're doing. I can't imagine that their technical staff can be that incompetent.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@annan21 wrote:
...the ability to track your usage on Paygo is atrocious, it is impossible to track a month since the page only holds so many entries.

I also check my usage at appropriate times.  When the page is almost at the stage where I'll lose information I take a screen shot and save it, renaming it to say "Rogers Cell May 26".  I print the screenshot every three months or so.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@annan21 wrote:
 Also, the ability to track your usage on Paygo is atrocious, it is impossible to track a month since the page only holds so many entries.

You probably have a different plan than I have.  I can see every call and text back to February 2018 and what I was charged. I try to copy and save the transactions before they're gone for my records.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

mjm2
I plan to stick around

Pay as you go online statement will only display previous 60 activities.  In many cases, this is not sufficient to see a full list of activities in a billing cycle and allow Rogers customers to monitor any their usage (and how close they might be to the limit)  

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

My PayGo Call/Transaction History goes back to February showing 4 billing cycles (4 911 charges) and is a lot less than 60 items. But then I only use the phone occasionally. I'm on the original legacy plan, pay $100 per year, often from my balance if available.

mjm2
I plan to stick around

That's definitely a different plan.  What do you get for $100 / year (text, minutes etc)

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

The current rate is $0.50/minute + long distance charges, and $0.30 for texts, $0.75/month for 911 service, deducted from the $100 balance. If someone sends me a text with a picture, I don't see it. I then have to turn on Data to receive it, for which I'm charged additional.

mjm2
I plan to stick around

That is indeed a completely different plan.  

My plan is $30/month which includes unlimited text, 250MB data and 50 minutes of phone calls.

ekrjo3jo3f
I've been around

Hey guys, Is this still an on-going problem? I'm looking to add data to my plan but not if Rogers is still improperly charging overage fees 

Topic Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 9 in conversation