cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Poor Daily Performance on 5G network

fthomas137
I've been here awhile

Good day,

I am located at the Home Oil Tower in downtown Calgary, and I am finding that the business day response of the 5G network has become severely compromised. From about 9 am until I leave at 3:30pm, the network download speeds are simply terrible. It is not unusual for me to see less than 1Mbps download speed. Also it's not unusual for my phone to completely loose internet connection.

This is a relatively new issue, since about the beginning of July 2024, but I don't seem to see an end to this problem. I've consulted with the local Roger's store and they've replaced my sim card and also tried to lay blame on my phone.

I've extensively tested my phone in other areas and I routinely will see between 100Mbps and 150Mbps download speeds. Only during the hours specified and my location, do I suffer from terrible data performance.

My phone has a solid 5G signal and is telling me that the carrier settings version is 'rogers_ca-56000000068.64, 2024-02-28'.

I'm now unsure where to turn and believe if this situation isn't remedied soon, you may loose customers for poor performance issues.

*Added Labels*

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Very Poor Daily Performance on 5G network

RogersYasmine

Hello @fthomas137,

Thanks for being a part of our community forums and for posting about your ongoing 5G mobile data connection concerns. I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing these issues as of late. If I may, I'd like to clarify a few things with you so we can try to assist you further:

- You mentioned that the problems started earlier this month...was everything working well prior to this? Or did you have any other issues with your mobile services?
- Have you tried rebooting your device to see if this helps?
- Are there any other devices that are having the same issue at the specified location and during the same hours?

I would also recommend that you check out our Knowledge Based article which provides steps on How to Fix Wireless Cellphone Data Issues to see if it can help resolve your issue.

Kind regards,
RogersYasmine

Thanks for the reply. To give you more details, I've talked extensively with the store near my work place and they've looked at all the possible culprits. Plus, yes, I've rebooted my phone on multiple occasions. Just so you know, I don't have any connection slowdowns or issues elsewhere. The connection previously worked very fast and pretty flawlessly and I would do my phone reboot probably once every few weeks to a month, just to keep things working well. To be honest with you, the node my phone is connecting too, i believe is either starting to fail or is simply overloaded. I normally arrive at work at 7am, and my connection is routinely around 40 to 60 mbps. It is down from it's normal of about 120 mbps in the early morning, so that is why I suspect a faulty node. The local Roger's facility has told me that it's possibly my phone, but my question to them was, why does it work flawlessly elsewhere? I'm not sure what else info I can give you or if you will actually look into the hardware in my area. That I don't know. To give you some idea, my problems occur around the home oil tower at 324 - 8th Avenue SW, Calgary. My office is on the 32nd floor but I see the same issues at ground level, so I"m not sure that makes a difference.

TwitchyPuppy
I'm a reliable contributor

We have an issue with the 5G node, in my area. We've had strong (full bars) and fast 5G for like a year and now it's weak LTE (1 bar, so we have to rely on Wi-Fi Calling). The 5G node shows activated but not configured. I used their reporting tool, in the app, but they never find anything wrong. Same with their backend team "everything is working fine"..

So yeah, it could very well be a node too, in your case!

Thank you for the additional details @fthomas137!

If you're getting degraded connectivity at ground level outside of the building at a specific location, we can launch an investigation for that specific location.

We'd be happy to take a closer look to see what is going on! Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Wee_Bee
I've been around
I noticed the same thing this past week. I am only getting one bar on 5G network. My office is in Kitchener, Ontario located in a well developed commercial area. My desk is on the first floor by a window so no reason for the signal to be weak. Very frustrating. Clearly, it’s not specific to one location so I expect Rogers to address it and fix it in a timely manner.
Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation