cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No notifications received with parental control on

jamilnour
I've been here awhile

Hello,
My setup is enabling parental control on all devices. All these devices are not receiving notifications from any social media software or email (whatsapp, Instagram, gmail, Outlook etc..). If I switch to 4G, notifications are immediately received
What is the link between parental control and notifications?
How I can fix that?

Thx
Jamil

**Labels Added**

3 REPLIES 3

Re: No notifications received with parental control on

RogersZia

Good afternoon @jamilnour,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Parental Controls is a great feature to help promote a safe online experience for your household. When did you first notice this issue? Is this recent or have you always been unable to receive any notifications with the parental controls on?

While I wasn't able to replicate the issue on my end, I will tag our resident experts for their valuable insights. @-G-, @Datalink would you like to chime in?

RogersZia

jamilnour
I've been here awhile
Since the start of my subscription with your service I have this issue
Safe browsing + parental control are on
All are Android devices but I think it is not a device issue because the same device is getting notifications when switching to 4G or when going to friends and connect to their Wi-Fi
Thx
Jamil

I don't use the XB6 or XB7, but just to point out, it appears that the Parental Controls invoke web site filtering, as in, if the web site in question resides on a black list that the Parental Controls happen to use, then you won't be able to go to access the web sites in question.  Its interesting that the notifications are also cut off.  I'd guess that all traffic from IP's associated with the black listed web sites is cut off, so it wouldn't just be web site access or notifications.  It would also include access by means of other protocols.  

Just to point out, whenever you run web filtering, you're most likely relying on black lists that are available either freely, or thru commercial means.  What that really means is that you have no control over the contents of the black list.  All is takes is for someone to misidentify a web site as being malicious in some way, and that web site ends up on the black list.  Its up to the site owner to plead his or her case with the black list owners in order to get the web site taken off of the black list.  The alternative is to run your own web filtering which give you control over the blacklist, even if you don't generate it, or you have a white list running which allows you to access any given site that you consider as not being malicious in content or potential malware content.  

In this case, there's also the complication that the Ignite TV system is licensed from Comcast.  So then the question arises as to whether or not Rogers has any real input to the blacklist contents, or if its all up to Comcast.  

This doesn't help in the cases that you're raised.  I'm just trying to point out that web filtering, which typically uses a blacklist is not without its problems.  

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation