cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB7 issues connecting to websites (wifi and ethernet)

Syrous_PL
I'm here a lot

Hello,  I recently switched to Ignite internet (hardware: CGM4331COM).  I'm experiencing an issue on my phones and laptops, via wifi and ethernet. 

The issue is that some websites (including rogers.com) time out (err_address_unreachable) when trying to access them, but work if I switch my phone to the mobile data.  At the same time, I can access youtube.com and stream videos (via wifi or ethernet). 

What is strange that there may be 2 devices with that issue, but at the same time other devices are fine. 

I would like to try changing the DNS to Google one, but I guess on BX7 it is not possible.

Are there any other things I can try?  I've been rebooting the devices and the modem for days now...

How can I get swap the modem for another one to see if that is the cause?

***Edited Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: XB7 issues connecting to websites (wifi and ethernet)

RogersJermaine

Hi @Syrous_PL,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for your post!

First congratulations on getting our latest hardware, I am hoping we can resolve this issue so that you can experience it without any issues.

That is strange that only certain websites are not working also specifically on certain devices as well. One thing to check if you haven’t already but in our Ignite WiFi Hub app you can turn on parental controls for individual devices. 
Can you check and ensure nothing is setup to block any websites on those devices?

Looking forward to your reply!

RogersJermaine

Hello to parental controls are not active. I've also received a second router which is the first generation model, and I'm having the same issue. I've done some research on the internet and found that a potential fix could be changing the DNS server on the router, but as far as I can tell the ignite routers don't allow changing the DNS. Is there any work around for this?
Link to the website describing the potential solution:
https://windowsreport.com/website-not-opening/

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Syrous_PL  You may not have parental controls enabled but what about Advanced Security?  If you have those features enabled in the Ignite WiFi app, replacing the Ignite modem/gateway will not fix the problem because those features will just get re-enabled.

Also, what security level is your gateway's firewall set to?  Make sure that it is enabled and confirm that it is set to "Low".  That setting will block all inbound connections from the Internet and protect your in-home network but should not block any applications that you may be using on your devices.

The Ignite gateways use DNS to block access to forbidden sites.  Thet is why Comcast's design will not allow you to configure a 3rd-party DNS service on the gateway.  If Parental Controls or Advanced Security are enabled, the gateway will also intercept and block DNS queries to a 3rd-party service.  If you are having problems reaching sites, it is almost certainly because you have security features enabled on the gateway.

To set an alternate DNS service on your iPhone, you can install something like the Canadian Shield app from CIRA  or the 1.1.1.1: Faster Internet app from Cloudflare.  However, keep in mind that if you have security features active on your gateway, those 3rd-party DNS services will get blocked.

Kimbear
I plan to stick around

I just posted yesterday about this and my xb7.  Same issues.  but i have not had any reply to my post yet.  Hopefully you get someone to answer you.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation