cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridged Hitron Modem - Asus Router Goes Offline Randomly

Klempford
I plan to stick around

I have a high end asus router and a Rogers Hitron modem (in bridge mode). My asus every few nights will randomly go down (wired and wireless). Only way to get the router back up and running is to unplug the Hitron and router.
Any suggestions on what the issue is? I haven’t updated the Hitron firmware, could that be the issue? If so how do I update in bridge mode?

*Added Labels*

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Bridged Hitron Modem - Asus Router Goes Offline Randomly

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Klempford the fact that the service goes down is an indication of signal level problems with your external cable.  At the moment, the CODA-4582 modems should be running firmware version 7.2.4.7.1b4.  That version load commenced around the week of the 20th of December 2022.  Assuming that you have that version loaded, you can use 192.168.100.1 as the modems web interface, to log into the modem.  That login should be straightforward.  If you can log into the modem using 192.168.100.1, that in itself is an indication that version 7.2.4.7.1b4 is loaded.  The previous version would not let you log into the modem using that address due to a backend change in modem addressing to an IPV6 address.  The issue with using an IPV4 address either wasn't detected or it was ignored.  Not sure which case is applicable.  

You shouldn't have any issues logging into the modem thru the router.  Assuming that you can log into the modem, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN tab.  Park your curser at the beginning of the "Downstream Overview" section title.  Hold down the shift key and scroll down and to the right to just after the very last character in the OFDMA Overview data table.  Release the shift key and use Ctrl c to copy all of the data tables.  In a new post, use Ctrl v to paste in the tables into the post.  The end result should look like the data tables contained in the modem's user interface.  You can also use the arrow keys to scroll down to the bottom of the OFDMA Overview table and to the right

Looking at the signal levels in the table should provide the ability to determine if there is a signal level issue.  When you reboot the modem to bring it back into service, you temporarily resolve the issue, but, that doesn't fix the underlying cable issue.  Unless there is a severe cable issue, the signal levels at that point will probably look normal, so, it would be good to see both signal levels, after a modem reboot/restart, and after its run for a period of time, possibly when you start to notice poor internet performance.  Please indicate which set of signal levels is which.  

Klempford
I plan to stick around

When you say it’s a problem with my external cable, you believe it’s a Rogers modem or signal issue and not an issue with my asus router?

I cannot log into the modem using 192.168.100.1. So firmware must not be updated. How do I login at this point to update the modems firmware?
FYI my wireless signals are amazing when router is up and running. It’s simply the random router disconnection (also wired router connection also drops at the same time) that is the issue.

Klempford
I plan to stick around
Anyone help? In layman terms?!

Hello, @Klempford 

Thank you for posting your concerns to the community. We know how important it is to have a consistent connection.

• Have you noticed if the light pattern on the Hitron modem changes when the connection drops or does it have the usual online light pattern?
  • If you are not able to login into the modem you'll need to do a factory reset of the modem to regain access. You can follow the steps here

Once you are able to gain access to the modem admin console, please click here to find some troubleshooting steps on how to check your signal levels.

Please post your signal level tables for us to review.

RogersTony

Klempford
I plan to stick around
How do I access the modem in bridge mode?
The suggestion the other fella recommended doesn’t work.
My Hitron modem needs a firmware update.

@Klempford there are three ways to do this:

1.  Call tech support and ask the tech to run a signal check on the modem.  Be prepared for a hard sell to upgrade to the Ignite TV system, which won't solve your cable issues at all.  If you do call tech support, ask if the tech rep can push firmware version 7.2.4.7.1b4 to your modem is its not already updated.  If it is already updated, then you should be able to access the modem thru the router without adding a route thru the router.  The router should direct the external address upstream to the modem.  

2.  Send a message to the moderators at @CommunityHelps when you're logged into the forum.  Follow that link to their public page when you're logged in.  Use the Send a Message link on the right side to navigate to the message editor page.  The address will fill in automatically.  Fill in the subject line, and details, including your account number so that the moderators can look up the modem's MAC address, which is also located on the back of the modem.  Ask the moderators to check the signal levels for the modem.  When you're logged into the forum, look for a number, overlaying the envelope symbol in the upper right hand corner of the page.  Follow the envelope link down to the message inbox to see the response.  Ask the moderators to run a signal check on your modem and update the modem to firmware version 7.2.4.7.1b4 if they can, assuming that its not already there.

3.  Run a factory reset to reset the modem back into its default Gateway mode.  To do that, hold down the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and then release it.  That will initiate a factory reset and return the modem back to the Gateway operating mode.  On your pc, bring up a web browser and attempt to navigate to some web site  That should result in the modem set up page, where you then have to set the modem up again from scratch.  That's the painful part, but, you only have to enter the wifi password which is used as the modem's password as well.  You'll have to log into the modem again using 192.168.0.1.  At that point you can check the STATUS tab to see if the modem has updated to firmware version 7.2.4.7.1b4 on its own.  There is a firmware version check that occurs when the modem reboots, so, I'm at a loss to explain why you can't log into the modem as it should already be running firmware version 7.2.4.7.1b4.  But, I'm not going to assume that it has.  You'll be able to confirm that if you run a factory reset.  From there, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN tab to copy the signal levels as detailed above and then paste the data in a post.  

When that is done, navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab and disable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the changes to kick the modem back into Bridge mode.  

You don't have to do anything to your network in terms of its physical layout to change the modem's operating mode from Bridge mode to Gateway mode and back to Bridge mode again.  The router should give you access to the modem without any issues.  That whole cycle of running a factory reset into Gateway mode, doing a minimal setup to copy the signal data and then kicking the modem back into Bridge mode should probably take 10 to 15 minutes.  Most of that time is the time it takes for the modem to boot up and lock to the OFDM downstream and OFDMA upstream channels.  Everything else shouldn't take much time at all. 

One thing that you can do is have a look downstairs where the external inbound Rogers cable connects to the house cable system.  Take note of any amplifier or splitter that might be present or potentially any signal attenuators that might be present  The amps and splitters have an Antronix product number on the front of the device.  The attenuator will have a short name or potentially a number on it denoting a signal drop that the attenuator provides.  Also have a look for any other splitters that might be present in the path that runs from that connection point to the point in the floor or wall where the cable disappears in its path up to the modem.  Also take not of any splitters in the upstairs cable system, from the wallport to the modem.  

All of those amps, splitters and signal attenuators cause signal losses, so, they have to be taken into account when anyone looks at your signal levels.  Do this first before contacting tech support or sending a message to the moderators.  If there is no amp, splitter or signal attenuator, (as in you're only running internet service) then this might take all of a couple of minutes for a quick visual inspection to see what's connected within the cable system. 

Klempford
I plan to stick around
Firmware on my Hitron has the latest firmware and my levels are all good.
The saga continues………

RussellA
I plan to stick around

Could it be the advanced intrusion detection on your router - DoS Protection?  I setup a guest router (TP-Link Archer 20) on my network (not bridged, but a router within a router) and it would go off-line regularly with advanced intrusion detection enabled on the guest (inside router).  I mean ever few days.

It was under Security - Advanced.  Once it was disabled, the router now is online for weeks/months.

Klempford
I plan to stick around
Hey! Thx for the suggestion. DOS protection is disabled. However for the heck of it I disabled Ai protection

@Klempford have you checked the router logs after the failures to see if there's any hint of the failure cause.  Fwiw, typically, if the modem goes offline for some reason, it should return to service on its own.  So, its odd that the modem and router fail and don't return to service.  I can see the router not operating correctly when the modem is down, as the router will detect the WAN failure, so, if the modem fails, and stays in a failed state, then the router should remain in the "failed WAN" state.  

Next time it happens, cycle the power on the modem only, and after the modem restart, see if the router returns to normal operation.  It should.....

Klempford
I plan to stick around
To be clear. What’s been happening (couple times per week).
My asus router will go offline (not the Hitron Rogers modem). Only way to get the router back online is to power cycle both the modem and router).
I’ve tried to power cycle just the router with no success

Klempford
I plan to stick around
To add. Wired (Ethernet connected to asus router) and wireless will go offline. Not just wireless

Very odd, are you using a power bar of any type?  Its odd that the router goes offline but the modem is still running.  What router do you have and what firmware version is currently loaded?

Are you using IPV6?

Klempford
I plan to stick around
Yes using a power bar. Router is asus RT ac5300.
Firmware version. 3.0.0.4.386_48377

Ok, an AC5300 running the latest Asus stock firmware.  That version is almost a year old, so Asus is slowing down the AC firmware versions now.  The latest Merlin Asuswrt for the AC routers is 386.9, release Jan 6 2023.  Here's a link to the Changelog:

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/changelog

Fwiw, power bars will usually last a long time.  They typically contain a metal oxide varistor which provide over-voltage protection against lightning strikes and power line voltage spikes.  When that varistor starts to fail, it can emit enough RF EMI to knock connected devices offline.  That EMI is probably radiated and conducted EMI, so, the device doesn't necessarily have to be connected to the power bar, just close enough that the radiated EMI will cause a device disruption.  Not saying that's the case here, but, for test purposes disconnect the power bar from the wall socket and connected equipment and power your devices with a multiheaded extension cord, or two if necessary.  Since this only happens every few days, you might have to run that configuration for at least a week to see if the power bar is the problem.  

Do you have an idea of when this typically happens overnight?  Rogers will run system maintenance in the 2 to 3 am timeframe, so, for any router lockup that happens around that time I'd potentially suspect Rogers maintenance activities.  

If you ran a ping test to the router overnight, you would be able to determine when the router goes offline, if that's not evident in the router logs.  You'd have to run that every night to see what turns up.  I think if you started it late at night and left it running into the morning, the response results should still be within the command prompt window, and not pushed up and not accessible.  There is a limit to how much the command prompt will hold, but I don't remember that off the top of my head.

Its also possible to write the results to a text file by using windows powershell instead of a command prompt.  They are basically the same in terms of commands, but, powershell has a lot more capability, and potentially a lot more liability.  

To bring up a powershell command prompt go to Windows Start and type in powershell to search for the application.  Select Windows Powershell from the top of the list.

to ping the router and write the results to a file, enter:

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx c:\temp\pingtest.txt     where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the router IP address and   c:\temp\pingtest.txt is the text file to write the results to.  In my case I have a c:\temp directory, so, you will probably have to change that to some directory of your choosing.  And the pingtest.txt is the txt file target.  Once again, change the title to one of your choosing as long as it has the .txt extension.

Powershell will run the test and generate the required txt file and write the result to the file.  While its running, and writing the result to the file it doesn't show the results on screen.  Maybe there's a way but I'm not familiar enough with the dos commands to do both at the same time.  One of these days.....

So if you give that a go, it will run and then terminate, at which point you can have a look at the file to satisfy yourself that this will actually work. 

To run a test of a few hours, say 8 hours, where windows pings once per second, the ping command would be:

ping -n 28800 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx >>c:\temp\pingtest.txt    To lengthen or shorten the test, just add or subtact 3600/hr if you wanted to change the test length in terms of hours

To run a continuous test until you stop it, run:

ping -t xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx >>c:\temp\pingtest.txt   use ctrl c to stop the test

If you run the test without the >>c:\temp\pingtest.txt, the test will display the results, just as is displayed by the normal command prompt.

Klempford
I plan to stick around
Oh man. I’m not all that tech savvy lol. I will stop using the power bar. See if that helps. How do I update the asus firmware to the new release??!
Router almost always goes offline late evening around 8-10pm. Pretty consistent.

I have no idea how to do everything else you suggests :).
Thx.

Klempford
I plan to stick around
Update! I was able to manually update asus firmware to 386.9.
Woot! See how things go.
Thanks!

Klempford
I plan to stick around
Also not using IPv6. Should I be?

Ok, what you should to at this point is take screenshots of your settings.  Then, run a factory reset.  After the factory reset, set the router up from scratch, using the screenshots as your guide.   

That process will ensure that the Merlin's Asuswrt is installed properly and that the settings end up where they are supposed to be in terms of their memory locations.  There shouldn't be much difference in terms of memory locations between stock and Merlin's Asuswrt, but, they are not the same.  So, a factory reset and setup from scratch, in either direction, going to Merlin's Asuswrt or back to stock firmware will ensure that the router runs as it should.  Do not use backup file settings when you change from stock firmware to Merlin's Asuswrt, and vice versa. Once again, its a matter of the memory locations being different, as well as a difference in functions between the two versions.  Merlin's Asuswrt is built on the Asus stock firmware, but there are numerous enhancements that are not found in the stock firmware, so, there are differences in some functionality and where the settings are stored. 

If you have any problems or questions regarding Merlin's Asuswrt, you can post them in Merlin's forum in the Small Net Forum located here:

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

The Asus section specifically for the AC routers and for Asus version releases is located here, one step back from Merlin's forum section:

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asus-wireless.37/

IPV6? Do you need it?  No.  It should be faster as there's no Network Address Translation thru the router when you use IPV6.  Whether or not that's actually visible is open to debate.  IPV6 devices all have their own unique IPV6 address, so, there is a privacy concern.  Windows uses temporary IPV6 addresses and you can control the rate at which those addresses change.  

Fwiw, I don't use IPV6.  My RT-AX86U runs IPV4 only and its rock solid, running behind the CODA-4582 which is running in Bridge mode.  

Klempford
I plan to stick around
Factory reset complete. Setup from scratch. Firmware is 386.9.
Should I disable the firewall completely?
Topic Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation