cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB6 - Connecting ASUS Router

Xdj
I plan to stick around

Greetings All,

It's been a . week for me with unauthorized movies being charged to my rogers bill and no one knows how this is happening. But I have another issue!

Just a few hours ago I had  Rogers ignite system installed. I'm trying to lower my Rogers bill since it's over $700 a month. And since there phasing out my current system, I had to go to the ignite TV bundle.

Now, everything seemed to work, TV, home phone but we really did not test the internet. I assumed it worked because the TV was working as well as the home phone.

Well, my home security app isn't working now, I can't access its features to control the Rogers tablet. It basically says it's offline. 

I was told I could easily hook up my ASUS router to the new Arris Xb6 cable just like my previous Hitron modem without any issues...WRONG!

I'm not getting a WAN connection to my ASUS RT-AC86U and the TV is not working. All I get on the TV is Welcome...followed by network configuration notification. Home phone works though!!!

I was told all I have to do is put the Arris modem into bridge mode and the ASUS router should work...Not!

Nothing I do gets the ASUS router an internet connection. I'm well versed with the ASUS routers but I'm stumped and very frustrated...It could be something simple that I'm overlooking but....I don't think so.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. And again, everything for the internet and my ASUS router was working fine with the older Hitron cable modem!

I'm seriously at the point that I want to call Rogers and get them to restore my old system because this ignite system isn't working properly!

Cheers,

X

*Added Labels*

55 REPLIES 55

Re: XB6 - Connecting ASUS Router

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Xdj wrote:

I've read a few posts about entering the network (WiFi) settings for the Xi6 cable box with the remote: hold down the exit button for 5 seconds, then down arrow twice and then type 9493.

Not quite.  The correct number sequence is 9-4-3-4  (it spells WIFI)

Xdj
I plan to stick around
Haha G,
Darn dyslexia!!!
How embarrassing!
Thank you...

X

Xdj
I plan to stick around

Hey Everyone,

So, I was finally able to do some testing today with trying to configure my new Technicolor XB6 with an Asus RT-AC86U I have that worked great with the previous install, a Hitron cable modem.

Guess what...It still doesn't work!!!

There is no internet connection... the led indicator on the Asus router is red for internet, as well as the internet/wan connection icon on the top right-hand corner of the Asus GUI is not lit.

I've tried every suggestion that you all have given to me without any success.

I honestly wish I could go back to my old Hitron cable modem and call it a night so to speak!!!

I've scoured the net trying to find the answers but to no avail.

I guess I'll leave it as how the tech left it when it was installed last Saturday and DMZ the XB6 to the RT-AC86U. Not ideal, but at least I can use most of the features of the Asus router I prefer over the XB6.

Any other suggestion, they would be very much appreciated. Just one thing before any suggestions, please read the previous posts so that suggestions are not duplicated. Thank you!

Just for a quick recap, the simple act of putting the XB6 into Bridge mode causes a loss of Internet/WAN connection to my Asus RT-AC86U (running 384.15 Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, no addons). As soon as you switch it back to Bridge mode disabled, the connection is restored! That simple...

Cheers,

X

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Xdj  What devices do you currently have plugged into the XB6 LAN ports?  Just your ASUS router, or do you have the Rogers security device plugged into a LAN port as well?

I am not 100% sure about this but I think that Rogers will only allow you to have TWO devices connected to the public Internet.  One will be the XB6.  (Even though it is in Bridge Mode, it is still functioning as a gateway for the VoIP telephone service and for whatever other services that Rogers still leaves enabled that require IP connectivity.)  That leaves one remaining device that can get a public address, so don't connect any devices into the XB6 other than your router.

Enable Bridge Mode on the XB6.

Release the IP addresses that you obtained through DHCP on your router's WAN Port.  Wait a few minutes, then renew the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.  (I don't know the ASUS router.  If you cannot release and renew the IP addresses through the admin UI, then either unplug the Ethernet cable & reconnect or reboot the router.)

Hopefully you should now have Internet connectivity.

Plug your Rogers security device into your ASUS Router, as you did before with the Hitron modem.

Hope this works for you!

Xdj
I plan to stick around

Hey -G-,

Thanks for your quick response!

The only device plugged into the XB6 is the Asus router with the security device plugged into the Asus router.

Just FYI, when testing, everything was unplugged that wasn't necessary for an internet connection to avoid any issues.

Unfortunately, I pretty much did exactly what you said to do prior to my post. As a former System/Network administrator, as well as working for years as a tech in a computer store, I've had experience in troubleshooting. Since I've been out of the IT industry for a while, I'm a little rusty in diagnosing network issues, plus a little out of touch with some new technologies and devices. Hence, why I'm posting my issues about the ignite hardware.

I'll try again later with your suggestions and see what happens, maybe I missed something.

I'll keep you in the loop! Thanks...

Cheers,

X

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Definitely a head scratcher.  Worst case scenario, nuke both the modem router, as in run factory resets on both and set them up from scratch.  Its puzzling that the router doesn't pick up a WAN address automatically, assuming of course that its set to allow that. 

Xdj
I plan to stick around
Yes, a head-scratcher for sure!
Factory resets may be the answer...We'll see after another round testing.
Thanks,

X

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm baffled by this.  FYI, I can switch my XB6 in and out of Bridge Mode and all that I need to do on my router is restart the IPv4 and IPv6 WAN interfaces so they get a new address.  I'll share the internal IPv4 addressing plan that works for me:

Internet

|

XB6 (Normally in Bridge mode.  Internal LAN is 10.0.0.0/24 when in Gateway mode.)

|

OpenWrt router (Internal LAN is 192.168.10.0/24)

|

Wi-Fi mesh (Normally in Bridge mode.  Internal LAN is 192.168.1.0/24 when in Gateway mode.)

With this configuration I can switch any piece of equipment in and out of Bridge Mode, if required, without too much disruption.

If I should ever run into any technical issues, I can go into the following fallback configuration for testing in seconds:

Internet

|

XB6 in Gateway mode

|

Xi6 set-top boxes, connected either by Wi-Fi or by Ethernet through a LAN switch.

Xdj
I plan to stick around

As I mentioned before, a mystery which is driving me crazy!

It's pretty elementary...flip a switch from Gateway to Bridge and bingo, everything should work! But, as soon as I do it, the WAN/Internet connection stops!

Ok, -G-, thanks for the information. I'll give it a go tomorrow since the family has settled in for the night and are on their devices.

Cheers,

X

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is pretty strange.  I have the 4582 modem in Bridge mode with an 86U behind it in full router mode.  If I flip the modem to Gateway mode or reverse the 86U picks up its new address without any issues. 

Consider rebooting the 86U after you have flipped the modem into Bridge mode, just to see if that makes a difference.  

Also, are you using a cloned MAC address or one that you created in the 86U?

On the Advanced Settings .... Wan tab, check the following:

WAN MTU:   1500         That is what I use with the 4582 modem

DHCP query frequency:    Aggressive Mode or Normal mode set   ?    I use Aggressive Mode

Consider flipping the mode to the opposite mode of what is currently in use.

If nothing works, then the only remaining conclusion is that your model of the XB6 is not compatible with the 86U, and possibly other Asus routers or with Asus routers running Merlin's Asuswrt.  That has happened previously with the 4582 modems and D-Link routers, so, there is always the possibility that you're running into a similar situation.  If thats the case, look at the bottom of the modem.  It will either indicate an Arris TG3482ER, or a Technicolor CGM-4140COM.  Call tech support and ask for a tech visit to swap the modem to the other model, and ensure that the visit won't cost anything.  It shouldn't.  My choice would be the Technicolor modem, so, hopefully you have the Arris modem and will end up swapping to the Technicolor modem.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Perhaps this thread from "one of the other guys'" support forum can help as well.  See the last post.

Xdj
I plan to stick around

Datalink,

My previous cable modem was the same as yours, a Hitron CODA 4582. I had no problems what so ever with it! But Rogers replaced it with the new ignite system.

All I was trying to do was lower my monthly Rogers bill. Because they're phasing out the old digital system, I had to go with the new ignite sytem.

I want it back... 😞

I did reboot the 86U after flipping to Bridge mode.

No cloned MAC

WAN MTU: 1500

DHCP query frequency: Normal

I'll try flipping the above setting to aggressive.

Thanks,

X

Xdj
I plan to stick around
Thanks, I'll give it a try!!!

Cheers,

X

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's what I have set for my 86U which is a little different than the post @-G- referenced:

DHCP query frequency Aggressive Mode

Extend the TTL Value: No

Spoof LAN TTL Value: No

Food for thought, if and when you have time, load the stock Asuswrt to see if that makes any difference.  If not, then there is an incompatibility between your model of the XB6 and Asuswrt.  If stock firmware works, then there is some change in Merlin's Asuswrt that is creating a problem.  

Have you taken a look at the Syslog to see if it contains any hints that might point to the problem?

Xdj
I plan to stick around
I definitely would not be paying for a tech to come out since they left my house originally with my "Smart Home" not working properly. I had to fix that issue myself!
I have the Technicolor modem...

Xdj
I plan to stick around
I've skimmed the logs but really did not look hard at them.
Thanks for the info.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Technicolor modem, hmmm.  I had high hopes for that modem.  

Xdj
I plan to stick around
Fingers crossed for some success tomorrow!!!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Technicolor modem, hmmm.  I had high hopes for that modem.  

The Arris and Technicolor XB6's each have their pros and cons and their own unique (and sometimes frustrating) quirks.  However, the XB6 itself (in Bridge Mode) really should not be playing any part in this not working.

Perhaps @CommunityHelps  can offer @Xdj  some advice on how to resolve these interoperability issues and get the Rogers products working together as they were before in a fully-supported configuration.

lethalsniper
I'm an enthusiast
Can I get the Technicolor xb6 just for my internet

@lethalsniper wrote:
Can I get the Technicolor xb6 just for my internet

No, the XB6 is currently only available with Ignite TV.

Topic Stats
  • 55 replies
  • 17 Likes
  • 9 in conversation