cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't customers use their own modem?

Feejai
I plan to stick around

Why doesn't Rogers allow customers to use their own modem?  If I was to get 'cable internet' through a third-party provider, I can use my own 'modem' only device.  I am a power user and I have my own full Ubiquiti network set up including wireless etc., I would really much rather just have a basic modem from Rogers instead of the one provided a you can't fully disable wifi on that modem (even in bridge mode from what I was told).  Wouldn't support be easier for some clients who want to use their own modem, or Rogers offer the option of a 'modem' only device to customers that don't want to use Wifi?

**Labels Added**

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Why can't customers use their own modem?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Feejai wrote:

Why doesn't Rogers allow customers to use their own modem?  If I was to get 'cable internet' through a third-party provider, I can use my own 'modem' only device.

There are many people who feel the same way that you do, myself included.  However, there are two main reasons why Rogers does not allow it:

1) Support.  Rogers' processes are geared toward supporting a solution where they provide the hardware end-to-end.  This forum is FILLED with posts where users complain that they cannot attain the speeds that they are paying for.  It would be a NIGHTMARE supporting those users if they were also using their own third-party hardware.

The support techs are not trained to provide support for third-party networking gear.  Their other goal is to be able to provide support to customers as efficiently as possible and to wrap up calls as quickly as possible.

Delivering firmware updates to customer-owned cable modems is also problematic.

2) Rogers doesn't just provide Internet service.  They also do not want their Internet service to be marginalized to the point that they just provide a dumb pipe.  They want to be able to deliver value-added services and to be able to charge a premium for their Internet services.  They also need to use gateway hardware that will enable them to support other services, such as Ignite TV, Home Phone, and eventually, an entire suite of "Connected Home" services.

The bottom line is that there are many, many, many reasons why Rogers provides the hardware that they do, and why they will only support hardware that they provide.  It is a solution that they can fully-test and can support end-to-end.

I am a power user and I have my own full Ubiquiti network set up including wireless etc., I would really much rather just have a basic modem from Rogers instead of the one provided a you can't fully disable wifi on that modem (even in bridge mode from what I was told).  Wouldn't support be easier for some clients who want to use their own modem, or Rogers offer the option of a 'modem' only device to customers that don't want to use Wifi?

Honestly, if that is what you want, then you will be far better off getting your Internet service from a TPIA provider.  Their support processes are geared toward supporting customers like you, and you can save a substantial amount of money.

If you really want to stay with Rogers, then you can still put your Ignite gateway into Bridge Mode and use your own hardware.  Not being able to fully disable WiFi on the gateway really is, at most, a minor annoyance, not a major issue.

Re: Why can't customers use their own modem?

Feejai
I plan to stick around

Thanks for taking the time to respond, but I don't fully agree with some of your points.  Ok, so instead of customer providing their own equipment how about a 'modem' only option and hardware provided by Rogers?  Not having to support customer WiFi issues with a modem only option could reduce the amount of support for a specific set of their users.  This way Rogers is entitled to update the firmware as they still own the equipment and all should be fine.

Customers should have a choice and/or be able to fully disable the WiFi on the Rogers modems provided, it is more than just an annoyance.  Not being able to turn of the Rogers WiFi means that it is still using up channels that my Wifi equipment may wish to use and/or compete with.

You are correct though, for customers like me perhaps I am better off moving to 3rd party internet provider so I have these options.  With the constant yearly negotiations and price hikes with Rogers services and not investing in upgrading services in my area, they are pushing me there in more ways than one.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation