cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What modem am I supposed to get for the Ignite 50u plan?

rnoobear
I've been here awhile

Question in the subject line. 

I got the XB7 modem and that isn't compatible with the 50u plan. Got a senior technician and he told me it's not compatible and I need a CGN3 modem.

Called Rogers, and they say Rogers no longer offers the CGN3 modem.

Contacted live chat support, the person helping me says that the XB6 modem should work, but the XB7 should not be compatible.

Trying to get the correct modem shipped to me, but live chat failed me and somehow got a technician sent to a completely different address 200km away from me.

So who's right? Which modem is ACTUALLY compatible with the Ignite 50u plan? Because clearly the default XB7 modem is not compatible.

***Edited Labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: What modem am I supposed to get for the Ignite 50u plan?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rnoobear wrote:

Question in the subject line. 

I got the XB7 modem and that isn't compatible with the 50u plan. Got a senior technician and he told me it's not compatible and I need a CGN3 modem.

Called Rogers, and they say Rogers no longer offers the CGN3 modem.

Contacted live chat support, the person helping me says that the XB6 modem should work, but the XB7 should not be compatible.

Trying to get the correct modem shipped to me, but live chat failed me and somehow got a technician sent to a completely different address 200km away from me.

So who's right? Which modem is ACTUALLY compatible with the Ignite 50u plan? Because clearly the default XB7 modem is not compatible.

With an "Ignite Internet 50u" plan, you should be getting an Ignite XB6 gateway.  The XB7 (from what I have heard) can only be activated on Ignite 500u plans and faster.

rnoobear
I've been here awhile

Thank you for your reply. 

I believe that's the modem that they're shipping me so your response gives me some reassurance that my issues will get fixed.

Will update once I receive the modem and test it out.

rnoobear
I've been here awhile

Update:

Switching to the XB6 modem didn't work. 

This entire issue is so perplexing because it looks like it's just my plan that doesn't offer me the correct speeds with either the XB7 and XB6 modems. 

I've been dealing with this problem for the entire week, going through like 12-15 hours of waiting and talking to Rogers reps, that I'm completely done with this entire situation and have canceled my services.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rnoobear  Your frustration is understandable.  What speeds are you seeing with the XB6?  Are you performing your speed tests using an Ethernet-connected computer or over WiFi?

I don't think that 50u Internet is anything new for Rogers.  Before that speed tier became an Ignite-branded service, they would have probably given you a CGN3 modem.  Presumably, Rogers would have worked out the provisioning aspects so that the XB6 would worked well with Ignite 50u Internet.  (Technically, the XB7 probably should have worked as well; it's just that it was designed to support a 1.5 Gb/s service... that's 300 times faster that what you currently have.)

rnoobear
I've been here awhile

On the 3 XB7 modems and the 1 XB6 modems that I tried, I would consistently get around 16.5Mbps on ethernet. The first technician and the second senior technician have also confirmed these speeds to be true, when they themselves tried a speedtest on their own hardware.

My senior technician also recommended me to try to get the CGN3 modem, but from my multiple discussions with Rogers agents, it sounds like they no longer offer this modem, which is why I tried the XB6 modem.

So to me, it definitely seems like Rogers failed to provision the plan properly to its ignite modems when they transitioned it into an ignite internet plan.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 in conversation