cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable WiFi Network With a New Laptop

uruchai
I've been here awhile

Sorry if a similar case was already posted. I did skim through the forum, but saw nothing that resembles my issues.

I just recently bought a new laptop (HP/Windows 10), and ever since, the internet/WIFI has been unstable. It would be disconnected every now and then, and would reconnect after 2-3mins of disconnection. The problem is not only my new laptop, but it affects every single device using the Wifi - iphones, TVs, other laptops. It's frustrating since I'm also not the only one working from home, and it's been affecting both our job efficiency.

I'm not very tech-savvy, so I didnt want to touch anything yet. Is it really possible that my new laptop is interfering with the Wifi router? If so, is there anyway this can be solved?

Please and thank you for taking time to read my post/concern.

***Edited Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Unstable Wifi after buying new laptop

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@uruchai wrote:  Is it really possible that my new laptop is interfering with the Wifi router? If so, is there anyway this can be solved?

This would be very easy to test. Turn Wi-Fi off on your new laptop, or, better still, turn your laptop off completely. Are you then still having issues on other devices?  If not, then the laptop may be a problem.  If yes, then it's likely not the new laptop and others here better qualified may be able to assist you further.

Re: Unstable WiFi Network With a New Laptop

uruchai
I've been here awhile

thanks for replying to me. Highly appreciate it.

And yes, right now i'm using my old laptop (I bought the new one mainly for work). And so far, wifi connections are good. I tested it earlier by turning on the new one, and after a couple of minutes, Wifi was down. The name of our Wifi shows up on the list of available connections, but it wasn't connecting. And ever since shutting down the new laptop, Wifi connection hasn't dropped.

Hello, @uruchai.

I hope you are doing well and found the solution; your new laptop is not crashing your network anymore. 👍

In case, if you haven't had a chance to work on it, could be your laptop may have some pending updates to be applied. 

During downtime, you can plug in your laptop directly to the modem using an Ethernet cable. It should potentially download the pending system updates, firmware updates etc. and once you installed them and after a couple of reboots, it should become stable. 

If not, you can reach out to the product support to help solve the issue. 

Please keep the Community apprised of the solution. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@uruchai  FYI, looks like other people are also reporting Internet/WiFi stability issues when some devices connect to the network.  You might be interested in following this thread.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation