cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown connection to internet

csibs
I've been here awhile

Lately Ive had a few random number/letter device connect to my rogers ignite and I have no idea what it is. Last one was "0AA7EF2D7507". Anyone else have this issue? 

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unknown connection to internet

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@csibs  a écrit :

Lately Ive had a few random number/letter device connect to my rogers ignite and I have no idea what it is. Last one was "0AA7EF2D7507". Anyone else have this issue? 

If you see a MAC address where the second hex digit is either a 2, 6, A or E, then that is a Locally Administered Address.  You are seeing this (most likely) because one of the the devices connecting to your network is configured to use a random MAC address.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@csibs  a écrit :

If you see a MAC address where the second hex digit is either a 2, 6, A or E, then that is a Locally Administered Address.  You are seeing this (most likely) because one of the the devices connecting to your network is configured to use a random MAC address.

csibs
I've been here awhile
So it’s a device that’s already connected to my internet? Sorry I’m still not understanding

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@csibs wrote:
So it’s a device that’s already connected to my internet? Sorry I’m still not understanding

It is most likely one of your own devices.

To enhance privacy and to limit device tracking, many systems and devices will allow you to configure the WiFi interface to connect to networks using a random MAC address.  (See the following for Windows, Apple devices and Android)  You probably have this configured on one or more of your own devices and this is why you see these strange/unknown MAC addresses connected to your network.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I've seen this before, I had one device with a strange MAC address and i could not figure out for the life of it what it was, then it dawned on me, it only appeared when my sister in law came over and it was her iphone. iphone musta had a special setting to randomize the mac address or something to that extent.

csibs
I've been here awhile

Hmmm interesting.. ok thank you. I have it pop up a new device has connected when I wasnt at home but my step son was.. so maybe his ipad then? Always made me think someone else was connecting to my wifi

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation