cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speeds

User0549
I plan to stick around

Rogers upgraded my speeds to 1.5 Gb the modem is hardwired to tcplink AC11000 .
I log into router run speed test from router I get 720 Mbps consistently .

Not seeing anything close to 1.5 kind of a marketing scam if they can’t offer the speeds advertised .

**Labels Added**

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Slow Speeds

Iamnotmarty
I've been here awhile

You're lucky to even get 720 Mbps. I'm using 1.5Gbps plan, getting 90Mbps straight from the fiber ONT LOOOL. I guess there's a reason why the ENTIRE block is on Bell.... Anyways, the ethernet ports on the back of the modem are 1GbE ports, so you won't get more than 1Gbps from a hardwired unit. A lot of wireless cards are 2.4Gbps now, what are you getting with wireless straight to the modem. But in any case, I'd say 70% of the maximum speed isn't too bad thoo, considering you won't need more than 20Mbps per household device.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have the following comments.

1. People who are on the 1.5 Gbps plan should have an XB7 or XB8 gateway.

2. Those gateways have one port that is 2.5 Gbps, however, that port is in use for pure Fibre connections, but you should still get 940 Mbps on those other 1 Gbps ports.

3. One typically needs to use a hard wired (Ethernet) connection to get speeds above say around 600 Mbps, which is the upper reaches of most WiFi connections.

4. If you have the latest expensive WiFi devices (6E?) I believe you can get the 1.5 Gbps speeds, or even higher.

5. One needs to have the correct equipment to get speeds higher than 1 Gbps because that's the upper limit of a lot of devices.  Some devices like inexpensive dongles may have an upper limit of only 100 Mbps, which may be the reason for the 90 Mbps stated, or perhaps it's simply the limits of the particular WiFi environment in that location.

6. People who are on the 1.5 Gbps plan and who have the appropriate high end devices capable of more than 1 Gbps regularly report speeds of around 1.8 Gbps.

7. I'm not even on the 1.5 Gbps plan, but I regularly get 1.4 Gbps on my Mac Mini M2 with 10 Gbps card.  I'm on a significantly lower plan.

8. Most people get what they pay for with Rogers and often get a lot more than they pay for with Speedboost (temporary increase in speed if the neighbourhood allows).

9. If you are not getting the speed you pay for, there is something wrong in your neighbourhood, or the equipment used is not capable of those speeds.

10. I'll tag @-G- since he is more knowledgable than I regarding such issues and I'm sure he'll have more to add.

Useful link below:

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/speedtest

In the link above, there are plenty more useful links regarding WiFi, using HomeConnect to test, etc.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 has said this already but I will say again that with the XB7 and XB8 gateways and the 1.5 Gigabit (cable) Internet service, you should be able to attain speeds exceeding 1.8 Gbps IF your test device is also capable of attaining that speed.

I have posted speed test results approaching 1.9 Gbps over both Wi-Fi 6E and with a 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet.

The Wi-Fi 6E test was performed on a Windows PC that I upgraded with an ax210 Wi-Fi adapter.  However, my initial speed tests were pathetically slow and erratic because Intel shipped drivers that were absolute garbage.

With 2.5 GigE, I also had to purchase an adapter with a chipset that I knew would well on my M1 Mac.  On macOS, many third-party Ethernet adapters do not have good native device drivers.  If you network adapter only has USB CDC-ECM driver support, your computer's CPU will end up doing the bulk of the work processing network packets and will not be able to offload any of the packet processing tasks to the network hardware.

I also tested an ASUS RT-AX88U Pro router, with dual 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet ports but, to my surprise, it's internal speed test tool kept maxing out at 1130 Mbps.  However, with my Mac connected over 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet, I was able to attain speed tests and actual data transfers exceeding 1.8 Gbps.

If you are also getting much-lower-than-expected speed tests results with a customer-supplied router, make sure that QoS is disabled on all of your router's interfaces as well as any advanced security/IDS/active network threat protection features.

User0549
I plan to stick around
I’m using the TP-LINK Archer AX11000
Faster speed the router is, less congestion for gaming rigs. Armed with Wi-Fi 6, Archer AX11000 becomes the next-level speed machine that offers astonishing Wi-Fi speeds up to 10756 Mbps with an extended range.

You can log right into router and run a speed test
Using a Data transfer rate ‎cat6a 10 Gigabits Per Second From modem to router .

Rogers has me using gateway gen 2 gateway

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User0549 wrote:
I’m using the TP-LINK Archer AX11000
Faster speed the router is, less congestion for gaming rigs. Armed with Wi-Fi 6, Archer AX11000 becomes the next-level speed machine that offers astonishing Wi-Fi speeds up to 10756 Mbps with an extended range.

That's what the marketing people will have you believe.  To get anything approaching 10 Gbps, you would need 1024-QAM encoding on the link, 160 MHz channel width, 4 streams and some proprietary extensions to the standard.  Also, both the client device and AP will need to support that configuration.

Typical maximum PHY rates will be substantially less.  With Wi-Fi 6, 2x2 80 MHz, your TxRate will top out at 1200 Mbps, and you can expect to attain 75% under ideal real-world conditions.  You can double that with a 160 MHz wide channel, provided that your hardware will support that.

All of the above is under ideal conditions.  Performance under real-world conditions can vary greatly.

You can log right into router and run a speed test
Using a Data transfer rate ‎cat6a 10 Gigabits Per Second From modem to router .

Rogers has me using gateway gen 2 gateway

I don't know how you can possibly attain that.  The XB7 and XB8 gateways only have a 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet port and even Comcast rates the maximum throughput for that hardware at 2.5 Gbps.

All I know is that the the 1.5 Gigabit Internet service should deliver at least that speed.  Perform your speed tests with your XB7 in Gateway mode using a fast-enough computer with a 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet adapter.  If you get the EXACT same lower-than-expected speed tests consistently, it's probably your hardware.

User0549
I plan to stick around
Point is I am not getting close to 1.5 and as outlined the above equipment setup should get that speed defiantly capable of doing so .

The router has its own built in speed test capabilities . And it does not get that speed. It’s 700 if lucky . So rogers is selling service that they do not provide

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User0549 wrote:
Point is I am not getting close to 1.5 and as outlined the above equipment setup should get that speed defiantly capable of doing so .

The router has its own built in speed test capabilities . And it does not get that speed. It’s 700 if lucky . So rogers is selling service that they do not provide

I don't know whether you can make that statement with absolute certainty.

Just a few weeks ago, I had purchased an ASUS router, with dual 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet ports, and had the WAN port connected to the 2.5 GigE port on the Ignite Gateway.  I was only able to attain just over 1.1 Gbps with the router's internal speed test tool.

However, that router was perfectly capable of forwarding packets at more than double that speed.  I also had a fast computer connected to a high-speed LAN port with a 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet adapter.  When I performed a speed test (and performed actual downloads of large files) using the computer, I attained speeds in excess of 1.9 Gbps.

I also know that if I enable any form of QoS or traffic shaping on that same router, my throughput will plummet to less than 700 Mbps.

I really have no idea whether your low speed test results are caused by a slow/problematic Rogers Internet service, a device whose speed test is not reliable, or both.

If you know, with absolute certainty, that your router's speed test tool is able to measure speeds in excess of 1.5 Gbps because you have actually done so with another high-speed service then, by all means, report the problem to Rogers and have them investigate.

If your Internet service is problematic, you will also most likely see variances in your speed test results at different times of the day and night.  However, if your speed tests results are slow and VERY consistent, the problem is most likely with your hardware or the software/firmware running on it.

To troubleshoot a slow or problematic Internet service, follow the troubleshooting steps in the following post: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Troubleshooting-a-Slow-or-Intermittent-Connection-Wir...

However, if your signal levels are within acceptable norms and your error stats are clean across all channels, your service is probably working normally.  If you want a second opinion on the health of your Internet connection, send a private message to @CommunityHelps  and ask them to run their suite of tests and check for any other problems that may be affecting your area.

I know that both the XB7 and XB8 gateways are able to move data well in excess of 1.5 Gbps.  I know that with a fast computer, with a 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet adapter and good device drivers, I can saturate a 2.5 Gigabit link.  When I connect to the 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet port on an Ignite Gateway, I achieve speed test results of around 1.9 Gbps with my Ignite 1.5 Gigabit (cable) Internet service.

I also know that I can perform those same speed tests with hardware that should be able to attain those speeds but cannot.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User0549 : Have you tested with a computer capable of over 1Gbps connected directly to the 2.5 Gbps port of the gateway with an Ethernet cable?  No other equipment involved.

We have seen hundreds of posts from people on this forum complaining about slow internet speeds, however, I cannot recall a single instance when Rogers was not supplying the paid for speed. In every previous instance there was an issue with the customer's equipment either not capable of that speed, or equipment not properly configured for that speed.  

Rogers and other major broadband ISPs provide the speed you pay for, often a bit more.  Rogers was ranked highest in most testing - see link below.  The testing is somewhat dated, however, recent posts by users indicate that nothing has changed as speeds have increased.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/reports/rp200601/rp200601.htm

User0549
I plan to stick around
Buddy cane over brought his fluke network tester was able to test at 807 Mbps … that’s directly from Modem

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User0549 wrote:
Buddy cane over brought his fluke network tester was able to test at 807 Mbps … that’s directly from Modem

In that case, send a private message to @CommunityHelps and ask them to look into this.  They can then dispatch a tech to investigate further if they find anything amiss.

It's interesting that your friend got a different speed test result than you did.

To be honest, I'm also quite surprised that none of the speed test results that you have reported so far ever have ever exceeded 1 Gbps.

I still think that you need to disable Bridge Mode on your Ignite Gateway and perform a speed test with a computer, even one that just has a Gigabit Ethernet connection.  If you cannot attain speeds approaching 940 Mbps, that also is a pretty good indication that you have a problem.

Did you check your modem's signal levels and is there anything to indicate that there is a problem with your modem's connection?  Also, which variant of the XB7 do you have, the Arris TG4482A or the Technicolor CGM4331COM / CGM4330ROG?  Asking because the Arris gateways don't display error stats correctly, so you may see all-zeros even when there is a problem with your service.

Did you also perform any speed tests with Bridge Mode disabled?  I am not aware of any current bugs where throughput drops while in Bridge Mode but you need to do this to confirm whether this is a software problem with your modem or due to some other problem with your Rogers service.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation