cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite modem latest firmware version

lovetheinternet
I plan to stick around

I understand that I can't manually update Rogers Ignite modem firmware, but could someone tell me what the latest version number is?  Mine is currently stating 7.3.2.0.91.

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Ignite modem latest firmware version

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lovetheinternet wrote:

I understand that I can't manually update Rogers Ignite modem firmware, but could someone tell me what the latest version number is?  Mine is currently stating 7.3.2.0.91.

The firmware version on the Ignite gateways will be different depending on which gateway you have and who manufactures it.  The hardware and firmware in the Technicolor gateways is completely different from the firmware in the Arris/CommScope gateways.

Rogers stages their software updates, so some customers will get an update early, and if no issues are reported, it will get rolled out to more and more users... and how quickly that happens depends on the criticality of the update.  At any time, you should be either at the most current release or be running the next-most-current build and be in a queue to receive that latest update.

Also, firmware updates usually only contain bug fixes.  I have not seen any significant new features or new configuration options in years, and all of the Ignite gateways have identical feature sets.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

lovetheinternet
I plan to stick around

Similar for Rogers Ignite pods.

My pods show a version of: 3.4.1.21-02-g06fe02-gpm4.12p20s2-20221109071424

Also, do pods also automatically update to the latest firmware version, or do you have to somehow manually do that?  And if so, how?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lovetheinternet wrote:

The firmware version on the Ignite gateways will be different depending on which gateway you have and who manufactures it.  The hardware and firmware in the Technicolor gateways is completely different from the firmware in the Arris/CommScope gateways.

Rogers stages their software updates, so some customers will get an update early, and if no issues are reported, it will get rolled out to more and more users... and how quickly that happens depends on the criticality of the update.  At any time, you should be either at the most current release or be running the next-most-current build and be in a queue to receive that latest update.

Also, firmware updates usually only contain bug fixes.  I have not seen any significant new features or new configuration options in years, and all of the Ignite gateways have identical feature sets.

@lovetheinternet wrote:

Similar for Rogers Ignite pods.

My pods show a version of: 3.4.1.21-02-g06fe02-gpm4.12p20s2-20221109071424

Also, do pods also automatically update to the latest firmware version, or do you have to somehow manually do that?  And if so, how?

Sorry, forgot to answer this question as well.  Yes, the software on the Pods does update, and I believe that they self-update, but I don't know how the update release process works or what the latest version number is.  ( I don't have any in my home.)

As for the Ignite Gateway firmware version, 7.3.2.0.91 looks like it may be the eMTA/DOCSIS software version on an Arris gateway; usually the version number that people reference is the one in the software image name.

Just out of curiosity, what was the reason for your post here?  Are you hoping that a newer build will bring new features, just want to make sure that your gateway is up to date, or are you looking to see whether you meet the prerequisites to enable specific functionality, such being able to use a wired Ethernet backhaul between the Gateway and the Pods?

lovetheinternet
I plan to stick around
Two reasons:
1) Updates to patch security issues, fix bugs and add new features.
2) I'm desperate for wifi pod backhaul capability. The pods themselves without this leave my 2nd floor with abysmal wifi connectivity.

Thanks!

@lovetheinternet wrote:
Two reasons:
1) Updates to patch security issues, fix bugs and add new features.

Rogers tends to lag behind Comcast in terms of the firmware version that our gateways run because they have to do their own QA... but the Rogers network team is also usually pretty quick to roll out fixes to address serious security vulnerabilities.

2) I'm desperate for wifi pod backhaul capability. The pods themselves without this leave my 2nd floor with abysmal wifi connectivity.

Apparently this is possible now, at least in Comcast-land.  Your Pods need to be running firmware version 3.4.1.9 or later and I think that all the Ignite gateways also meet the minimum firmware requirements.

lovetheinternet
I plan to stick around
OMG! Thank you! I'm going to try to set up the backhaul functionality tonight!!

@lovetheinternet here's a relevant reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast/comments/11li075/xfi_pod_ethernet_backhaul/

Looks like xfinity customers are still having issues with this despite meeting the minimum firmware requirements for the modem and pods.

Here's the xfinity FAQs:

xFi Pods FAQs - Xfinity Support

Scroll down to the section titled: I’ve hardwired my Pod to my gateway, so why is the Connection Type still set to WiFi?

@lovetheinternet wrote:
OMG! Thank you! I'm going to try to set up the backhaul functionality tonight!!

Keep in mind that Comcast's support for the Ethernet backhaul is still VERY new.  There is not much documentation other than the FAQ that I linked to, which also has some helpful links for working around some problems that you might run into.

It's also quite likely that the Ignite WiFi Hub app will not recognize the wired backhaul as a valid configuration.  The Rogers Ignite WiFi Hub app is getting dated and, for a while now, Rogers has left "easter eggs" laying around hinting that it will soon get replaced with a new app called Ignite HomeConnect, and there are other "easter eggs" indicating that this will add support for some Home Automation and Security options that will also integrate with the Ignite set-top boxes.  However, it looks like that rocket is still stuck on the launch pad.

As I said, I do not have Pods in my home so I cannot even try getting a wired backhaul link working.  Rogers' Setup Guide also still only talks about setting up a wireless uplink to the gateway.  If you can get it working, that will be very exciting news.

lovetheinternet
I plan to stick around

I tried backhaul and it works for me!

Didn't need to do anything special.  I just:

1. Unplugged my Ignite pod from the power socket.

2 Connected the pod it to an ethernet wall port that connects to a switch in my basement that in turn connects to Ignite modem.

3. Plugged my Ignite pod back in to the power socket.

4. Waited 3-4 minutes.

5. Checked my Ignite App and saw that the connection type for the pod changed from Wifi to Ethernet.

6. Did a bandwidth speed test and verified that the down/up bandwidth are great and that the ping time was low.

Hoping it stays this way and doesn't create problems, but for now I'm all set - thanks!!

@lovetheinternet Congrats on getting the Ethernet backhaul working!  I thought that it should have worked but you never really know for sure until you actually get it working for yourself.  Thanks for sharing your steps with the Community!

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 in conversation