cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposed MOCA configuration - will it work?

ablatt
I plan to stick around

Will this MOCA configuration work.  In it I keep all the MOCA cabling and adapters away from the Rogers modem/router.  None of the cable runs need coax TV service.  I don't think I need a POE filter with it either - perhaps just make sure all the splitters are MOCA rated.

MOCA .jpeg

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Proposed MOCA configuration - will it work?

RogersTony

Hello, @ablatt

Thank you for posting your inquiry to the community.

@Datalink would be best equipped to assist you. I have tagged him on this post.

If there are any other community members familiar with MoCA configurations please feel free to chime in.

RogersTony

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ablatt your initial layout might work if you used satellite splitters which should give you the frequency response thru the splitters.  The unknown factor is whether or not the splitterrs would cause enough signal loss to cause problems for that configuration. 

Looking at your response on DSLReports, instead of buying two MoCA adapters for each cable run, consider buying a PPC MoCA amplifier for the one end where the coax cables converge.  I'm assuming that you're in a house which typically has a Structured Wiring Cabinet in the basement where all of the communication cabling converges.  If thats the case you would use ethernet to connect to a single adapter as shown in the DSLReports diagram no 2, which then connects to a PPC 5 port adapter, which then connects to the cables that run up to the other adapters.  

Here's the link for the PPC amp page:

https://www.ppc-online.com/products/coaxial?Product-Type=Amps

The MoCA 2.0 amps are located near the bottom of the page.  The 5 port versions are the PPC-5M-U/U, PPC-5M-U/UPI and PPC-5M-U/UPS.  I believe that the difference is the type of power inserter that is supplied.  As an example, there are a couple available thru a BestBuy reseller:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/moca-enabled-5-port-active-return-coax-amplifier-splitter-ppc-5...

At $82, that probably beats the cost of a MoCA adapter. 

Note that there are MoCA adapters available that have 2.5 Gb/s ports, just a matter of looking around.  If you have an XB7 modem which has a 2.5 Gb/s port, and you're running that in Gateway mode, you could connect that modem port to a 2.5 Gb/s MoCA adapter port and in theory, if you have a pc with a 2.5 Gb/s port connected to another adapter, you should see somewhere in the neighbouhood of +1100 Mb/s if you're running gigabit service.  There are reports of users with the XB7 who have reported over 1100 Mb/s on speed tests.  

If you've looked at the DSLReports page recently, there are several reports of users who are seeing well over 30 Mb/s on the upstream side of a speed test.  It appears that Rogers has increased the upload data rates in some specific areas, but, I haven't seen any announcement from Rogers itself:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33422455-Increased-upload-speed-coax-DOCSIS

ablatt
I plan to stick around

Datalink, thanks for the response.  My understanding is that MOCA amps don't amplify the higher MOCA frequencies, and so the signal loss for MOCA on a 5 port amp would be like that on a 5 port splitter.  

The reason I say that is from reading things about MOCA such as the following:

MoCA signals cannot be amplified. You may, however, come across MoCA-friendly amplifiers. They amplify non-MoCA signals below 1000MHz. If you have a weak cable Internet or analog cable TV signal and you want to mux a MoCA signal on the same coax, then such an amplifier can help boost the non-MoCA signals.

No cable/OTA amplifier amplifies the signals at MoCA frequencies; at best, an amplifier can be designed for MoCA to minimize losses between output ports, and with a built-in “PoE” MoCA filter to further reduce losses between outputs. If an amp is required for boosting cable or OTA signals, care should be taken to use a MoCA-compatible amp, if not one “designed for MoCA”; if amplification isn’t required, it’s best to get known-good MoCA-compatible splitters in place.

That's why I had two MOCA adapters on each cable run.  

Having said that, maybe I'm wrong.  

ablatt
I plan to stick around

And for those that didn't see my second proposed layout with MOCA adapters on each run, here it is.  And this configuration also keeps all MOCA separate from the Internet, as their is no coax TV service needed.

MOCA v2.jpeg

The amps that I pointed out are all MoCA 2.0 qualified, meaning that they'll run the MoCA 2.0/2.5 frequencies which range from 1125-1675 MHz.  Those amps are a combination amp, splitter and point of entry MoCA filter.  In your case, you wouldn't connect them to any external cable, except thru a single MoCA adapter which connects via ethernet, back to the router.  The amp would only handle the MoCA 2.0/2,5 signal range.  Depending on what adapter you decide to buy, you should be able to log into the adapter to check the signal levels.  That would give you an idea of how much power the amp actually puts out, in terms of the MoCA 2.0/2.5 signal range.  If your house is a typical house with the structured wiring cabinet in the basement, these should work without any problems.  

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation