cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding on the ignite router/modem

Ldeforge
I'm here a lot

before you tell me to download the ignite app... no... just no... i shouldn't have to launch an app on my mobile phone to control a setting in my internet router/modem when im already sitting on my computer in my modems admin panel, i didn't have to download an app with the CODA 4582 router/modem and that worked fine.. like im already on my computer... the exact same place i have access to this thing called the notepad where i can store all the IP's and Port numbers il be needing for later copy/pasting when i go to forward the port.... such a thing i cant as easily do on a mobile phone where im lacking a physical keyboard and mouse...

you see how much more complicated your way is... like by all means keep it around for people who enjoy having to pull out their phone to manage their router when their already on their computer... but don't expect me to believe you couldn't make a port forwarding config in the admin panel when you literally have the exact configuration page that would work on port forwarding for "Port Triggering"

***Edited Labels***

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Port forwarding on the ignite router/modem

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ldeforge  I don't think anybody here disagrees.  Rogers also didn't design the Ignite Gateways; Comcast did... and they designed it to make it easy for technically unsophisticated customers to manage their in-home networks.  We're all collectively stuck with whatever Comcast implements.

As for why they chose Comcast's technology, when Rogers needed a solution for Ignite TV, Xfinity was the only IPTV implementation available at the time that worked well over DOCSIS and that could scale to a huge number of customers.  Their gateway is also the hub for an entire suite of integrated "connected home" solutions.

The only other option that you have is to put the Ignite Gateway into Bridge Mode and run on your own network gear.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
Sounds to me like you are very technically adept, so why are your using the ignite modem in gateway mode? Why not bridge it and use your own router?
Then you have absolute control over all aspects of your local lan access.
Mine is in bridged and I have my own better router.

for the same reason i don't just use "netsh interface portproxy add" ...because a modem/router combo should be able to port forward on with its own interface in the year 2023....

Ldeforge
I'm here a lot

how sophisticated do you think it is, you give the service a name select if its using TCP or UDP or both then define the local IP and the port ranges... most online grocery store surveys are more complicated...

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
Again like what was mentioned, these are router for the less technical savvy people. Those who are savvy use their own gear for better control.

Rogers wants the least amount of problems with the gear as possible. That means locking people out of certain features so as to not have them mess up the modem thus less tech calls.
Use your own router is all I can suggest. If you don't want to them you have to live with what rogers gives you.
Good luck.

doesn't explain why they decided to just completely fail to add the configuration page for port forwarding... clearly they have a manual configuration in their app for it so why is this not just in the admin panel by default... if people want to use some app for it that's their prerogative... the least they could do for people who aren't technically challenged like little old granny nizbit, is to just give us the option to use the admin panel.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ldeforge  They (Comcast) do not see the (Xfinity Xfi) Gateway as simply a router/firewall.  It's the hub for a whole suite of "connected home" offerings, and I presume that they decided on the (Xfi) mobile app as the one and only tool for customers to use to manage the gateway and all devices (including smart home IoT devices) that connect to it.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/port-forwarding-xfinity-wireless-gateway

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-port-forwarding

Customers once had a web portal that they could also use to manage the Gateway but that got shut down last year:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast/comments/twzdzq/the_xfi_website_will_be_going_away_on_060722_you/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/comments/wdmkou/xfi_website_will_be_going_away/

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Discontinuation-of-Ignite-WiFi-Hub-Website/td-p/49190...

The bottom line is that until Comcast starts listening to (and caring about) customer feedback, if you need to do anything but the most basic configuration of the Ignite Gateway, your only option is to learn to like the Ignite HomeConnect app.  That's also the only option that Rogers officially supports.

Ldeforge
I'm here a lot

well looks like im going back to the pre-windows XP era when we had to do it through DOS because contrary to popular belief not everyone has a cell phone these days... and im not asking someone else to use their phone for logging into something like that.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Black Friday is coming up and there will be a ton of budget Android tablets on sale everywhere.

Cruncher
I've been here awhile

I am in total agreement with Ldeforge on this. I only had a smartphone that was company owned and it was totally locked down, meaning I could not install any apps, so managing the Ignite modem as is, was limited to their built-in web page. However, I have another question. I recently bought an Android tablet so I could download the Home Connect app and set up some Port Forwarding to allow me to connect to my home Windows network. Unfortunately, I cannot make any settings since my servers have static IPs and they are not in the DHCP pool range. My range is 10.0.0.101 - 10.0.0.199, and my home network uses 10.0.0.50 - 10.0.0.99. Why has Comcast written this to only allow port forwarding to IPs in their DHCP scope? Or is there a way to reserve an IP outside of the scope?

Alan

Cruncher
I've been here awhile

3 months ago I posted this, but no answer yet! Have these forums been disbanded?

Alan
Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 in conversation