cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for 500u...Just what am I paying for??? Read on to be underwhelmed...

ladajast
I've been here awhile

Recently, we have had some issues with our Ignite TV lagging, cutting out, pixelating...If you are here you probably know what I am talking about.

For starters I am paying for Ignite 500u for "Speeds up to 500Mbps"

Anyways, I performed various different internet speed tests, over both ethernet & wifi.

Adding to my frustration & anger, I am receiving speeds between 7 Mbps (yes...7) and 17 Mbps.

Now, I understand that 500 Mbps would probably be attainable only under perfect & pristine conditions. However, I do not think that these numbers are even close to being within a reasonable range...this is 30x to 70x below the posted speeds for which I, the good customer, am paying my hard-earned money for.

Must be the "up to" they are speaking of... 

Have spoken with Customer Service & blah, blah, blah node, blah, blah, blah we are aware of issues, blah, blah, blah overload.

Finally made an appointment at the local Rogers Store, who have called back to enquire as to why I made the appointment...I informed him of my situation & he kindly provided me with the "Tech Support" number which they, for some reason, do not post on their websites or MyRogers....I guess asking Anna is how things get fixed @ Rogers...

So, I will be calling TS later today & hope to get some resolution. If not, has anyone had better luck with other providers??

Cheers

*** Edited Labels ***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Paying for 500u...Just what am I paying for??? Read on to be underwhelmed...

RogersTony

Hello, @ladajast

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

It's disappointing to see the speed issues you are experiencing. Please follow the troubleshooting steps listed here

Let us know if issues are persistent and please share your signal levels.

RogersTony

Re: Paying for 500u...Just what am I paying for??? Read on to be underwhelmed...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ladajast  I used to be a 500u subscriber and actually saw download speeds of 750 Mb/s (and 21 Mb/s upload speeds) when testing with a wired Gigabit Ethernet connection directly to the Ignite gateway.  The speeds that you can attain over Wi-Fi will vary depending on the health of your Wi-Fi network.

dejaniem
I've been around

Omg! Reading your post was like reading my life with Rogers. Despite having MANY conversations with TS, many service calls, upgrades to hardware, internet and wifi is still splotchy. It is not uncommon for us to lose ALL service for part of a day. TS says it's all the construction going on in the area. But one service technician admitted that Rogers knows there is an issue in the small community I live in (Thamesford, Ontario) and they will NOT rectify it. New subdivisions are being built and they will be getting the highest fibre optic service, but not those of us who live in already established neighborhoods. Had I known this, I would not have moved here (I just moved here) anything MUST be better than Rogers. Good luck to you!!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dejaniem @ladajast I sympathize with you (and anybody) who is experiencing problems with their service and getting nowhere with tech support, despite their best efforts.  (I have also been in situations where I spent more time talking to tech support than I did being able to use my service, and it looked like my only option was to move!  That's a BRUTAL situation to be in.)

I would follow the advice that @RogersTony provided.  Go to http://10.0.0.1/ , log into your Ignite gateway, and go to "Gateway > Connection > Rogers Network" and check the stats.  Verify that the power levels and SNR are within norms, and that the uncorrectable codewords error stats are not spiking to HUGE values.

If you want a second opinion from knowledgeable folks in the community, feel free to post your stats, similar to what was done in this thread.  We will do our best to assess your current situation and provide whatever advice we can to help you get to a resolution.

jjjjy7
I'm a reliable contributor

@ladajast  I had the exact problem about a year ago.  It mostly occurred in the evening during prime time hours.  I went through months of dealing with tech support, until they finally assigned me someone higher up who would monitor my network throughout the day.  She was excellent.  Even called me when she said she would.  Eventually she sent a tech to upgrade my modem to the gigabit modem and Rogers did a few things on their end which solved the issues.  Got a nice discount and some free channels without even asking.

A few things to consider:

-if you know anyone in your neighbourhood who has ignite, get them to test their speeds when you are having issues to see if it's a neighbourhood issue, or just your network.  In my case my neighbour has the same issues.

-different apps will give you different speeds - Fast always gives me higher speeds that speedtest.

-when talking to customer support multiple times for the same issue, ask them to read the notes on the file rather than having them go through their checklist to have you cycle your modem or send their signal.  (I got really frustrated having to explain to them each time I called that was not the problem)

- don't be afraid to ask for discounts.  Don't threaten to go to Bell like so many people do -  If you really want to leave just do it.

Hope you get your situation resolved.  I know how frustrating it is.

ladajast
I've been here awhile
Thanks to all who replied & provided help/advice. Nice to know you're not alone.
Anyways, I finally did speak with an amazing tech who ran through a number of different things...by the end of our call, she arranged for a tech to come by next day. However, sometime after our call, the speeds picked up & returned to normal/acceptable speeds.
Not quite sure what happened but someone must have come across something that was not right. Canceled the tech.
Everything has been working appropriately since!
Thanks again!

ladajast
I've been here awhile
Was looking forward to watching some good football games today but, AS USUAL, Rogers internet service is absolute TRASH!!! The way it looks right now, my TV will be unwatchable!!!
I am paying for Ignite 500, and as it has been going, I am getting speeds UNDER 20 Mbps. This seems to be happening pretty regularly almost monthly.
WHY??

Greetings @ladajast!

I am sorry to hear that you're experiencing slow speeds, but we can help! I just would like to ask some questions.

Are you getting these speeds over WiFi or Ethernet? Have the speeds ever been near 500mbps or are you always consistently under 20mbps? Do you find that slow speeds happen on a particular day or time of day? It sounds like you're experiencing it once a month by the description.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 in conversation