cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Cable Unplugged Error on Ethernet Adapter

Symphony50
I plan to stick around

Hello all, I am getting a "Network Cable Unplugged" error on my Ethernet adapter. I am trying to connect my Asus G11CD Desktop to Ignite WiFi Gateway XB7. I had this same issue years ago with an older modem and a gaming friend who was an ISP helped me solve it. Unfortunately I can't remember what we did. I have tried most, if not all of the suggestions found on the internet but none have worked. If anyone has had this issue before and knows the solution I would be very grateful. I am using the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller if that helps.

***Edited Labels***

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Network Cable Unplugged Error on Ethernet Adapter

RogersRahul

Greetings @Symphony50,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd be happy to assist you with this.

When was the last time it worked? Have you tried a different network cable? Have you tried to disable and enable the ethernet network adapter? Are the ethernet drivers up to date?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
RogersRahul

Symphony50
I plan to stick around

Thanks for your reply RogersRahul.

I haven't used ethernet for at least a couple of years. I used to use it with my old Hitron modem when gaming with friends. As stated earlier I had the same issue with that modem but can't remember how we fixed it. I am pretty sure it was incorrect settings somewhere. The answer is yes to your other questions.

It seems my PC and new Gateway just aren't seeing each other. I have tried all the basic "fixes" found online but nothing has helped.

Sheldon

RogersCorey

Good morning @Symphony50!

In order to offer further troubleshooting advice, I just need to know which operating system you're running. Thanks!

Regards,

RogersCorey

Symphony50
I plan to stick around

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit.

Thank you.

Would you mind detailing for us exactly which fixes you've already tried so that I don't end up offering advice that you've already tried? An issue such as this may require troubleshooting that goes beyond what I can offer here.

Have you attempted yet to update and/or uninstall and reinstall the network card drivers? I can see that your network card software recently received an update in June, so if you aren't using that most up to date version, it may be contributing to this issue.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

can you please try something to help troubleshoot the isuse? can you plug an ethernet wire from your computer's network card port into another device like a switch or non rogers router and see if you get connectivity?  if that does not work, then you can try connecting another device like lets say a laptop into the rogers ignite modem and see if the laptop gets connectivity, these troubleshooting steps should take place first before we  deep dive your windows 10 settings

Symphony50
I plan to stick around

Hi Pauly, 

I tried plugging my desktop pc into my old laptop (Toshiba Satellite a70) and got same error on both. I tried plugging my laptop into the ignite modem and everything works fine.

Unfortunately I don't have another router or modem to test.

I suspect this may be an issue with the handshake or permissions or security protocol. Just a hunch. 

Thanks

Sheldon

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Symphony50 Have you tried using a different Ethernet cable and have you tried connecting your computer to a different LAN port on the XB7?  Keep in mind that the "red" LAN port is a 2.5 GigE port, which may or may not work better with your computer's LAN adapter.  If your computer's Ethernet adapter refuses to connect to any of the LAN ports on the XB7, do you have a small LAN switch that you can try connecting through instead?

Also, have a look at the tips on the following page: https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/articles/000058994/ethernet-products/intel-killer-eth...

Yes, this is an Intel support site but the troubleshooting tips are still relevant for your Realtek adapter.

One more thing: when you look at the list of devices that are connected to your gateway, do you see your desktop computer?  Has it ever connected?  Did you block that device's network access by accident?

Symphony50
I plan to stick around

What I’ve tried,

Blew out dust around adapter port and inside computer

Plugged/unplugged cable and tried different cable

Tried different ports on Gateway

Disabled WiFi

Performed Hard Reboot

Ran Internet Troubleshooter

Changed Duplex Settings

Reset Network using command prompt (ipconfig /release, ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /renew, netsh int ip reset and netsh winsock reset)

Reset Network from Network & Internet Status page

Uninstalled Adapter and restarted comp

Enabled/Disabled Adapter

Updated Adapter Drivers (Windows default and latest Realtek)

Turned on IEEE 802.1x Authentication (using Microsoft Protected EAP (PEAP)

Confirmed Realtek LAN Controller and Realtek PXE OPROM are enabled in BIOS

Ran DISM Scanhealth and Restorehealth

Ran SFC /scannow

Checked for Viruses/Malware

Reset and rebooted Gateway

Confirmed Internet Protocol Version 4 & 6 are both set to obtain IP/IPv6 and DNS Server address automatically

Is there a test to see if the adapter is still functioning, other than plugging it in somewhere else. If I look in properties for the Realtek Controller for device status it says ”This device is working properly” with a location of PCI Slot 11 (PCI bus 4, device 0, function 0). I am not sure how much I can rely on the device status message but perhaps it’s accurate, I have no idea.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Symphony50 What network configuration/setup were you using the last time that this computer was able to connect to your in-home network and to the Internet?

Symphony50
I plan to stick around

Yes I tried different cables and ports. Unfortunately I don't have a LAN switch. Not even sure what that is. I did see the Intel page before. The only thing there I haven't done is upgrade the BIOS. My pc is on the devices list on my Gateway. I just got the Gateway a little over a week ago. WiFi is fine but I have never been able to connected via Ethernet. I certainly could have screwed up a setting somewhere, anything is possible. I listed what I tried earlier. It should be somewhere above this message. 

Thanks

Sheldon

Symphony50
I plan to stick around

Re: "What network configuration/setup were you using the last time that this computer was able to connect to your in-home network and to the Internet?" I couldn't tell you. I have reset things so many times now and last time I used Ethernet was several years ago, same comp but with a Rogers Hitron modem. I really wish I knew how it was set before, but yeah, no clue. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Symphony50  FYI, my Windows PC happens to have a "Realtek Gaming GbE Family Controller" Ethernet adapter and I don't have any problems connecting to an XB7 gateway with it, or to any other router or switch that I have ever connected it to.  My system may differ from yours in that it is in a very pristine state; before I even started using it, I basically reinstalled it to get rid of all the preinstalled junkware.  I am currently running Windows 11 Pro as it came from Microsoft and Microsoft-supplied drivers.  No "support" software from the vendor or any other dubious software to keep my "system updated and optimized",

As for the LAN switch, I was referring to something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TL-SG105-1000Mbps-Desktop-Gigabit/dp/B00A128S24

When you connect your computer to the XB7 gateway, do any status lights on the LAN ports turn on or change state, either on the gateway or on your computer's Ethernet adapter?  You need to troubleshoot this in steps:

1) Verify that you have a successful Ethernet link (based on the status lights) between your computer and the XB7

2) Confirm whether or not your XB7 lists your computer in the list of connected devices

3) Run "ipconfig /all" on your Windows system to check the status of your network link and whether or not your computer was able to obtain an IP address via DHCP

If your computer cannot get any network connectivity whatsoever, you need to figure out why.  If you have been trying many random things without sufficient technical knowledge as to what you were doing any why, then there is no telling what state your system might be in now or what it will take to fix it.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Symphony50 One other thing came to mind: Do you have Parental Controls and/or Profiles configured in the Ignite WiFi Hub?  If so, that could be problematic.

You said that your desktop computer appeared in the list of connected devices... but is that entry associated with your system's Wi-Fi adapter?  It could be problematic if a managed device tried to connect to the network with a different network card, which would have a different MAC address.  If the Ignite gateway thinks that you are doing this to try to bypass parental controls, it might let the device connect at the link level and will probably assign it an IP address... but if its Internet connectivity gets blocked, then I think that Windows will also display the "cable unplugged" message.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

your wifi card would have a different mac adderss than your wired ethernet rj45 port, so it is likely an adaptor failure which is causing the adaptor not to detect an ethernet cable plugged in,  in my experience, i would troubeshoot the network adaptor in depth, maybe u need to format windows and re-install it, if it  uses pci, try a different pci slot, 

Symphony50
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the info G,

I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Home. No lights on either Gateway or PC. Computer is listed on devices in Gateway. I ran ipconfig /all but wasn't certain which line I should be looking at.

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 30-5A-3A-75-92-92
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

No Parental Controls or Profiles are set. It is only the WiFi that the Gateway is seeing. 

Sheldon

Symphony50
I plan to stick around

Pauly,

I just did a clean install of Windows yesterday. Adapter is not in a PCI slot. After fresh installation problem still exists. I am about ready to give up, assume the adapter is fried, and buy a usb ethernet.

Sheldon

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Symphony50 Were you ever able to get this working?  One (obvious?) thing that we probably should have also asked you to check was whether the port on the Ethernet adapter was in good condition, and confirm that none of the pins were bent, damaged or missing.

Symphony50
I plan to stick around

No G never got it working. I really have given up. The ethernet port looks fine physically. It's just not worth the hassle to troubleshoot this anymore, especially when I can buy a usb ethernet adapter for 20 bucks. I already spent far too many hours trying to resolve this. Thanks for all your help. 

Sheldon

Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 in conversation