cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing emails

missingemails
I've been here awhile

My emails are disappearing.  I can only see emails back 1 year, where are they going?  I use Outlook MS365 and they are disappearing from there too, even emails that have been moved into folders are gone.  I have contacted support and getting bumped back and forth between Rogers support and Microsoft report with no resolution.

I've clicked do not archive, I've clicked do leave a copy on the server, I only have .19% storage used.  How do I stop my emails from disappearing after 1 year 

*Added Labels*

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Missing emails

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@missingemails : I assume you're set up as IMAP and not POP because changes in one device will be reflected in other devices and on webmail.

Here's a link I hope is helpful, although you may have already seen it based on your archive comment...

https://recoverit.wondershare.com/delete-email/delete-old-outlook-email.html

missingemails
I've been here awhile

Thank you for replaying 2 questions:

Can I change from IMAP to POP if already set up as IMAP?

I think my deleted items might actually be in the archives but archives are a .pst file which I can't open any suggestions how to view files in archieves? 

TIA

@missingemails wrote:

1. Can I change from IMAP to POP if already set up as IMAP?

2. I think my deleted items might actually be in the archives but archives are a .pst file which I can't open any suggestions how to view files in archieves? 

1. I believe that switching is usually a one way street.  You can switch from POP to IMAP, but switching the other way is not recommended.  I researched this a while back and you can do the same for yourself on the web.

2. If the information on recovery in the link I provided in my previous post is not helpful (there are several recovery options outlined), then you'll have to do some web research on that topic.  There are ways to get "into" .pst files, but it can depend on your version of Outlook and whether you're on a PC or Mac.  Good Luck.

BrianP1
I've been here awhile

Hi!

I just noticed in the last couple of days that I am missing all my *Sent* emails in my Rogers Yahoo account from May 2023 back to April 2018.  That is 5 years worth of emails!  I have been leaving all my emails on the servers since I started using Rogers web mail with IMAP in December 2013, and rarely delete my read emails.  So I probably have thousands of emails in the cloud.

What is odd is that the missing emails are only from my Sent folder, which normally wouldn't be downloaded even if I was using POP3, which I am not.  I am wondering if this could be the result of a hacker gaining access to Rogers Yahoo! servers and stealing the emails, which could then be mined for personal information.  I am hoping that is not the case, and changed my password today, but you hear about cybercrime every day now so it is conceivable.  I guess my question is: what is Rogers doing to protect the security of emails in users accounts and has anyone else reported a similar problem?

Hello, @BrianP1.

I appreciate you joining this thread, and welcome to our Community! Missing emails from the Sent folder can be problematic. If you think your email account got compromised, please check the support article - Recognize a hacked Rogers Yahoo Mail account. You can also submit a request to Restore your emails as outlined in this thread

Regards,

RogersMoin

BrianP1
I've been here awhile

Hello RogersMoin,

Thanks for your reply.

I have reviewed the link with the telltale signs of a hacked Rogers email account and none of them apply to me, so it does not appear that my account has been compromised.  I followed the link to the thread with instructions on how to recover missing email, but it has been more than 7 days since they were missing (unfortunately, the notification that you had sent a reply went to my spam folder) so it looks like there is not much that can be done.

I attempted to enable 2-step verification using a mobile number for my Rogers Yahoo! email account but it looks like (correct me if I'm wrong) the recovery phone number and MFA in the Rogers Member Centre are for a MyRogers account, not an email account.

Hello, @BrianP1.

I'm glad that your email account is secure. I'm sorry you couldn't restore your emails; the seven-day window was missed.

The MFA enabled in the Rogers Member Centre is specific to that email account. For MyRogers, once you log in, you can activate it through the Settings/MyRogers Profile menu.

Thank you for being our Community member; keep visiting us. 😃

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 in conversation