cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOCA Setup

mtefon
I've been around

Hi,
I have a Hitron 4582u router/modem in my house as the main device. Now, I want to connect another access point to this device over the exiting coax cables. I know, I need a MOCA adapter for the connection. My question is: is it possible to use another Hitron 4582 as the MOCA adapter and connect to the main router over coax?

***Edited Labels***

1 REPLY 1

Re: MOCA Setup

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

An interesting idea but that won't work as Rogers will only allow one modem on an account, so, you wouldn't be able to run another 4582 or any other modem.  Even if you had one available to you for some reason, you wouldn't be able to register it for service on your account, so that discounts that possibility as well.  

The 4582 MoCA channels were locked to D-High so that the Nextbox Whole Home network could use D-Low.  I don't know if that is still true these days.  If it still is the case, and you don't have two or more Nextboxes running in the Whole Home network mode, that would mean that the 4582 is locked into using D-High which limits the MoCA network throughput.  In this case you would simply be better off buying two adapters which would allow you to use the entire D band for MoCA ops.  That would give you the maximum data throughput via the MoCA adapters.  Here's a reference link to the MoCA 2.5 spec.  Have a look at pages 9 and 13 for the MoCA frequency ranges which shows D-Low, D-High and the Extended D band which is the band that you want to use for maxiumum data rates thru the MoCA adapters:

https://mocalliance.org/MoCA2/specification/MoCA_2.0_and_2.5_Device_RF_Characteristics-160808d.pdf

That comes from the following page:

MoCA 2.5 (mocalliance.org)

@RogersIan can you comment on the current MoCA configuration for the 4582 modem.  Is it still set for D-High, or does it use the Extended D band now?

You will also need a MoCA Point of Entry filter connected to the incoming cable.  That prevents external MoCA data from entering and impacting your MoCA system and prevents your MoCA data from impacting on someone else's MoCA network.   Note that adapters usually have a security code that you can enter to encrypt the MoCA data so that if it did manage to migrate outside of your home it should be unreadable by anyone else.  But, you have to enter that code into all of the adapters.  You would also have to replace any existing splitter with a MoCA 2.0/2.5 qualified splitter, where that MoCA splitter has internet port to port frequency specs which supports MoCA 2.5 ops.  

Note that there are MoCA adapters around that have 2.5 Gb/s ethernet ports.  That port typically supports 1 Gb/s and 2.5 Gb/s connection rates, and probably 10 and 100 Mb/s but don't quote me on that one.  So, if you ever changed the modem for an XB7, that modem has a 2.5 Gb/s ethernet port on it.  So, food for thought .... future data rate upgrades are something to consider.  

Other food for thought.  MoCA filters and MoCA adapters are built, for the most part to use the 5 to 42 Mhz range for upstream data out of the modem and 200 to 1002 Mhz for downstream data to the modem.  From what I've read, and I have no idea as to whether or not its factual, Rogers may be looking at extending the upstream frequencies to run using the high split configuration which runs from 5 to 200 Mhz.  The downstream frequencies may change from 200 to 1002 Mhz to 200 to 1218 Mhz.  That upper 1218 Mhz frequency overlaps the lower D-band MoCA frequency.  These changes are in line with the extended DOCSIS frequency ranges which will provide increased data throughput on the downstream and upstream side.  How fast Rogers will change its frequency configuration is anyone's guess.  So, its possible that you might see several years of use out of any MoCA equipment before any problems arise due to Rogers changing the downstream and/or upstream frequencies.  At the present time, anyone considering a MoCA installation should be aware of the upcoming changes.  

The issue of frequency overlap and conflict between the DOCSIS upper frequency range and MoCA low frequency is a known issue.  As ISPs push the DOCSIS frequency ranges up, MoCA vendors will have to move the MoCA frequencies up as well.  That will mean buying new MoCA adapters unfortunately.  

Food for thought, if you have a new home, built within the last 15 to 20 years, take a wallplate off of the wall where that wallplate contains a cable connector.  Have a look behind the wallplate for another RG-6 cable, or even perhaps ethernet cabling, which would make this much easier to accomplish.  You never know what you might find unless you have a look.  If you happen to have another RG-6 cable system present within the home that means that you can connect two MoCA adapters together by connecting both cables with an F-81 connector such as this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ideal-3ghz-f-splice-adapter-10-pack-/1000751479

The end result would be a private point to point MoCA network that doesn't require a MoCA Point of Entry filter or a MoCA 2.0/2.5 splitter.

Other food for thought, if you have Cat-5 or Cat-5e cabling in your home that is configured for telephone use, and you don't use a landline, or have any future plans for a landline, you can repurpose the telephone Cat-5/5e cable for ethernet ops.  That would require changing the connectors at both ends of the cable and installing an unmanaged gigabit switch to provide ethernet services across all of the connected cables.  

Note that there are numerous posts on the forum regarding MoCA installations.   Just a matter of searching for them. 

Hope this helps....

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation