cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys WET54g?

bjhbjh
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I have an old Linksys WET54g WiFi to Ethernet bridge, that I'd like to use to avoid pulling a cable, to an Ethernet only printer in my basement. The Linksys WET54g itself is known to work (was running fine in my previous LAN setup) but I am having trouble configuring it for use with my new Rogers Ignite router.

When attempting the config, I can see the Ignite network with 100% signal strength reported but I never seem to get a wifi connection with it, despite applying all the correct passwords, credentials etc. I am setting it up with WPA-PSK security and TKIP encryption as per default settings on the Linksys control panel.

Is there any history on use of one of these Linksys devices with an Ignite router?

I realize that the WET54g is quite long in the tooth these days but I have one at hand. Failing getting the WET54g going, any suggestions for a modern replacement bridge known to work with Rogers Ignite?

Thanks,

Brian H.

***Edited Labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Linksys WET54g?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With older devices such as the WET54G, I would suspect that the problem connecting is due one (or both) of the following issues:

1) The device cannot connect to a network that has Band Steering enabled

2) The strongest WiFi security that the device supports is only WPA (which is not considered secure anymore) but your WiFi network uses WPA2 security exclusively, not WPA/WPA2 mixed mode.

bjhbjh
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the substantive reply, any thoughts on a worthy modern replacement for the old WET54?

Thanks,

Brian H.

Harley1979
I've been here awhile

using my old wrt54g I just put it in bridge mode,   although I replaced the normal bios with dd-wrt  which totally unlocks the potential of the router.   bout only other thing is make sure there both wireless g and make sure the modem ethernet cable go's in the internet feed on the router 😕   that and make the gateway of the router the DNS of your internet provider

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bjhbjh wrote:

Thanks for the substantive reply, any thoughts on a worthy modern replacement for the old WET54?

Sorry, none that I use personally.  If you search Amazon for "ethernet to wifi bridge" or "ethernet to wifi adapter", you will find some gizmos that act as a Wi-Fi client, that enable an Ethernet-only device to connect to a Wi-Fi network.

Something like this should work as well: https://www.tp-link.com/ca/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/

It lists "Client Mode - Allow devices that require a wired connection to access an existing Wi-Fi network"  as one of its features... although it might be a bit trickier to setup than your WET54G.

If you get Ignite Wi-Fi Pods from Rogers to extend your Wi-Fi network, those have Ethernet ports that you can also use to connect your printer.

Hopefully one of those options will work out for you.

bjhbjh
I've been here awhile

As it turns out, switching to AES encryption and WPA2-PSK token seems to have solved my issue and I now have a usable connection to my Ignite router using the WET54g. 

Thanks all.

Brian H.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation