cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a viable workaround for missing guest wifi mode on XB7?

DevonK
I'm here a lot

I just "upgraded" to Ignite and when talking to tech support to confirm the lack of a guest mode for the wifi, he stated the following (paraphrasing here):

"The workaround is to put all of your devices you want inaccessible to guests on their own SSID on the 5 Ghz band, and then create a second SSID with a different pw on the 2.4 Ghz band. Give your guest that SSID and pw to use, and they will have no access to any of your devices even if you have non-password-protected file sharing on your LAN."

Now networking is far from my area of expertise, but to me this doesn't pass the smell test, because even though this setup might keep your guests from seeing and accessing any wifi-connected devices on the non-guest, 5 Ghz network, it doesn't in any way block their access to your PCs etc. if they are connected to the XB7 via Ethernet. Can anyone with more knowledge in this area shed some light on this?

***Edited Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Is this a viable workaround for missing guest wifi mode on XB7?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you search for keywords like "Ignite guest" in this forum you'll see that this topic has been discussed many times before.  The only option is to put the gateway into bridge mode and run your own router.  Bridge mode has also been discussed many times and it's not officially supported by Rogers, so if you need Rogers to troubleshoot, you need to put the gateway back.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Ignite-Wi-Fi-Guest-Access/m-p/481702

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Using-the-Ignite-TV-Modem-Gateway-in-Bridge-Mode/m-p...

DevonK
I'm here a lot

I did look at a few threads on this topic and this particular "workaround" coming from Rogers was never mentioned, which is why I asked about it specifically.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Another option is to purchase an inexpensive Wi-Fi Access point and use that for guest access.  You can also use an old Wi-Fi router and put it into "AP mode".

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation