Internet was blocked for a so called virus????????

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet was blocked for a so called virus????????

@Hkb for a pc or laptop you might need to run Norton Power Eraser or some other deep inspection tool, beyond the usual run of the mill Antivirus programs.  I'm surprised that Malwarebytes Antimalware didn't detect it but, it might be on another device, not just a pc or laptop.

To see what device is connecting to what external IP address you need to run a router with logging and blocking capability.  That would be something like Pfsense, Opensense, Sophos and maybe DD-WRT.  An ASUS router with Merlin's Asuswrt will also do both if loaded with Skynet and Diversion add-ons.  Skynet can block specific IP addresses and countries.  It has its own block list and whitelist and has a debug mode to watch for specific IP addresses which should allow one to determine what device is connecting to a specific external IP address.  I've never used it to track an outbound address but that should work.  I have used to watch for blocked traffic from specific LAN IP addresses which is another way to do this.  Diversion allows you to block domain names instead of specific IP addresses.

The botnet control IP addresses were taken down in late 2016 so I'm guessing that you now have a device or more that remains infected with no controller domain to contact. But it or they are still attempting to contact those domains. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

We have been getting our internet shut every 2 months for a while now. We have checked every device connect to our internet and only 1 virus a few months ago but still getting shut off. We've checked our router and it is fine. We are beyond frustrated now and ready to switch internet supplier. Anybody have any other suggestions of what we can do?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ann75 have a look at my post just above yours.  What model of router are you running and whats the last firmware version and date on the router?

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm not sure what it is, my Mom is the one who takes care of it. I will get back to you on that.