cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDP protocol on an Arris XB6 Modem

1mthome
I plan to stick around

I usually download different *nix based OS (ISO image) for testing and scripting... Since I upgraded to ignite I've been getting file errors on all ISO image. I do understand there is no error correcting on the UDP protocol but I never had this much trouble getting a clean download, as anyone encountered this problem... ??
I can modify the TCP protocol (which has error correcting) on my end to download files but not widely accepted... Is it a server, modem hardware problem or modem software error...
Any help would greatly be appreciated

***Added Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: UDP protocol on an Arris XB6 Modem

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

That's really strange, I do not have that modem but I don't feel like this would be a modem bug

1mthome
I plan to stick around
The reason why I'm thinking it's the modem... I'm just throwing ideas and trying to get feed back.
I'm using a windows box, a linux box, multi os box with Solaris, bsd, windows and my 3 macs plus 4 android boxes. On my old modem I never had any problem with ISO or any type of downloads. I can download from any of boxes I can transfer between boxes files with no problem or errors (in house router). As it stands it leads to either rogers cable/server or rogers modem and I'm aiming at the modem communication protocols. Or could it be a defective modem?!? (Never tought of that one until now)
I did a factory reset yesterday and will try another download today just in case it's localised. I'm too old for this doo-doo to be hapening I just want to have fun and not be bug by bugs!!
My hardware troubleshooting days are over, I just want it to work!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@1mthome wrote:

I usually download different *nix based OS (ISO image) for testing and scripting... Since I upgraded to ignite I've been getting file errors on all ISO image. I do understand there is no error correcting on the UDP protocol but I never had this much trouble getting a clean download, as anyone encountered this problem... ??
I can modify the TCP protocol (which has error correcting) on my end to download files but not widely accepted... Is it a server, modem hardware problem or modem software error...
Any help would greatly be appreciated

Actually, both TCP and UDP support error detection but neither support error correction (although TCP does perform error recovery).

TCP ensures that you have sequenced ordered delivery of datagrams.  If a corrupted datagram is received, TCP will ACK with the last good sequence that was received, and the sender will retransmit any unacknowledged data after a timer expires.

With UDP, if the data checksum doesn't verify, the datagram and data will get dropped and it is up to the application to recover.

Some Unix systems allow you to disable verifying UDP checksums.  (This was sometimes done to increase network performance in the old days, in particular to improve NFS throughput... but you risk data corruption if something on the network path trashes the UDP data, since the corruption would go undetected if the IP and packet headers were still intact.)  I don't know of any modern systems that ship this way.

With UDP, it's technically possible that data in the UDP data field could get corrupted along the way, by any device with a bad memory module or a software bug that occasionally trashes in-memory copies, but any application that uses UDP should be coded to expect that datagrams will arrive out of order and that datagrams will occasionally get dropped.

I am guessing that you are using BitTorrent.  Are the files that you download truncated or do they just fail the integrity checks?

1mthome
I plan to stick around

No bit-torrent here...  

File integrity issues Yes!  

I love and prefer text base system (like System 5) and I hate this GUI stuff, I could try SFTP or a simple FTP transfer but today's servers wants you to use your browser --they don't allow you to "talk" directly to the server...

I'm from the Unix world since the ARPA days.

I've contacted Rogers for support because I also get static on the home phone (wireless)  and the TV cuts out - Connection issue (trouble connecting with router message) I really don't  have a signal issue (WIFI)...  

I don't have a repeater or amplifier on my network that could cause these little issues. 

I'm hardwired directly into modem for any files transfer in a DMZ modem configuration.

With the old modem never had issues with file transfers but this modem ?!?!? give's me a pain you know where.

Sorry I'm really getting away from my problem of "file issues"...  Someone should be contacting me from rogers in the next few hours.

A real dum question does Rogers redirect port settings (customized)?  

I need to send some security test scripts in Germany...

I am/was grabbing at anything for the UDP protocol I'm at a lost!  

How it was so simple back when!!  

Now my modem just did a hard reset guessing Rogers is testing...

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation