cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Wi-Fi Guest Access

sirhomealot
I'm here a lot

Really want to set up a separate guest Wifi network with its own password instead of giving guests access to the main Wi-Fi and then assigning their devices to the guest profile which makes no sense. Once they have the password they can add any device they want and can also see the other devices on the network. When will this feature be added?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite Wi-Fi Guest Access

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sirhomealot wrote:

Really want to set up a separate guest Wifi network with its own password instead of giving guests access to the main Wi-Fi and then assigning their devices to the guest profile which makes no sense. Once they have the password they can add any device they want and can also see the other devices on the network. When will this feature be added?

We will get support for Guest Wi-Fi Networks when Comcast implements the feature.  However, I still can't see this happening anytime soon.  I have searched the Internet and EVERY Comcast X1 licensee has customers asking for this feature and no service provider has been able to say when this might ever get implemented... including Comcast, when their own customers asked for Guest Network support.

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/guest-access/602dae21c5375f08cddf401d

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/how-to-set-up-a-guest-wifi-network-on-xfi...

Comcast's solution for guest access is their hotspot service.  It's a revenue source for them, and they seem keen to protect that by not implementing support for free guest access in their gateways.  Technically, it would be a trivial feature to implement.  They just don't want to.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sirhomealot wrote:

We will get support for Guest Wi-Fi Networks when Comcast implements the feature.  However, I still can't see this happening anytime soon.  I have searched the Internet and EVERY Comcast X1 licensee has customers asking for this feature and no service provider has been able to say when this might ever get implemented... including Comcast, when their own customers asked for Guest Network support.

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/guest-access/602dae21c5375f08cddf401d

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/how-to-set-up-a-guest-wifi-network-on-xfi...

Comcast's solution for guest access is their hotspot service.  It's a revenue source for them, and they seem keen to protect that by not implementing support for free guest access in their gateways.  Technically, it would be a trivial feature to implement.  They just don't want to.

ShawnP1
I've been around

Hello, can someone please let me know if you can set up a guess network on the CBM4331 hub. The Mywifi app is not compatible to set this up on the app. I will not connect to the modem/hub.

Thank you in advance for your suggestion on how to get this done.

Greetings @ShawnP1!

We'd be happy to provide you with further instructions on how to get this done! Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to be clear, the early posts in this thread were regarding a guest network on the IgniteTV gateway, which is currently not possible, as discussed by @-G- three posts up.  It looks like the most recent question (2 posts up) is a separate topic not applying to the gateway.

I really hate it when companies give the same name to two different technologies or devices. They did this with NextBox(es) in Ontario vs Atlantic Canada and they did it again with the word "Ignite". This is very confusing for customers.

jj59
I plan to stick around

I made this same feature request long ago, still waiting for Rogers to ask Comcast for this. 

jbww
I plan to stick around

It's been almost 2 years now since the original post. Curious to know if there has been any activity on this front.

Even the NSA is now specifically recommending -  "At a minimum, your wireless network should be segmented between your primary Wi-Fi, guest Wi-Fi, and IoT network. This segmentation keeps less secure devices from directly communicating with your more secure devices." Although I think their focus on just wireless was a mistake.

I also recently posted about the inability with Ignite to configure alternate DNS servers as recommended by CIRA.

So I'm wondering how seriously Rogers takes cybersecurity,  and thinking it's time for some government regulation to help protect consumers.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 17 Likes
  • 7 in conversation